Best Wishes to All.....

Well, the time has a come. Xmas is upon us once again (and yes I think it comes faster and faster every year too, but that could just be old age). I hope everyone has reached their set goals this year and are looking for bigger things in the year ahead.

Quite a number of us will be hitting the roads to see friends and family (or getting away from them...). Please take it easy and I want to see you all back safe and sound in the new year, so no accidents alright.

So to all, please have a very enjoyable Xmas and I hope Santa brings you everything you want and more. And also have a great new years eve enjoy what you are doing.

With many Xmas Cheers
Robert

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

PS: "Be Not Afraid Of Growing Slowly, Be Afraid Of Only Standing Still."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Thanks Robert,

Merry Christmas everyone and stay safe.

Cheers,

Roderick Aguilar

Reply: 1.1

You know I woke up this morning and jumped on the internet, with the intention of sending exactly (well, similar!) message to Robert, so everything he said I second. Please take care everyone, and let's have a bumper year in 2002! Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!!
Funky

Q. Why aren't physios good in bed?
A. Because they normally get the swelling to go down...

Reply: 1.1.1

Make it a Safe One.
Just returned from call out with NSW Fire Brigade. Rd fatality pushbike headon into a car.
Last week it was a stolen car driven by a 15 yr old that went sideways into a power pole @ 160klm p/hr.

So everyone have a safe and happy x/mas and new yr.

Thanks to all for being part of the forum.

Best wishes

Gee Cee

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amusing that when people use the term 'Xmas' they are taking the Christ out of Christmas...Anyway, as an atheist, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely wish everyone all the best for CHRISTmas and the New Year (hey, I'm atheist, not a Scrooge!). I hope that all your dreams will become realities! I know mine will! Take care everyone.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

On 12/23/01 9:13:00 PM, Mark Laszczuk wrote:
>Is it just me, or does anyone
>else find it amusing that when
>people use the term 'Xmas'
>they are taking the Christ out
>of Christmas...

As a Christian myself, I used to get upset with this... my parents always taught me to use the full version.

However, I read an interesting point of view on this...

From http://www.snopes2.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.htm

- - - -

Claim: 'Xmas' is a modern, disrespectful abbreviation of the word 'Christmas.'

Origins: The abbreviation of 'Xmas' for 'Christmas' is neither modern nor disrespectful. The notion that it is a new and vulgar representation of the word 'Christmas' seems to stem from the erroneous belief that the letter 'X' is used to stand for the word 'Christ' because of its resemblance to a cross, or that the abbreviation was deliberately concocted "to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas." Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for 'Christ' is 'chi,' and the Greek letter 'chi' is represented by a symbol similar to the letter 'X' in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence 'Xmas' is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word 'Christmas' (just as 'Xian' is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word 'Christian').

None of this means that Christians (and others) aren't justified in feeling slighted when people write 'Xmas' rather than 'Christmas,' but the point is that the abbreviation was not created specifically for the purpose of demeaning Christ, Christians, Christianity, or Christmas -- it's a very old artifact of a very different language.

- - - -

Anyway, as a Christian, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone all the best for their choice of festivity (hey, I'm a Christian, not a bigot !).

;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Merry Christmas to all.
Drive safely, don't pig out.
I wish you all a prosperous New Year and many profitable IPs.
Regards,
Crispin

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.2

Dear Sim,
Why would any Christian feel slighted by the use of "Xmas" when the Church hi-jacked the pagan celebration of the winter solstice for Christmas as it was easier than stopping it altogether(not the only case of borrowing by the Church). Practical those Priests ;-)

May everybody's Christmas be full of happiness and the New Year see your dreams come true.

Ctrader
"Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for the friends in my head."

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Well I'm back now. Safe and sound, lots of police cars on the road but no speeding ticket for me...

But to let everyone know, I HAD A WHITE XMAS....

Yes you read correct, one of only a few hundred in Australia that had a white Xmas. It really did snow on top of Mount Hotham on Xmas day, and then bucketed down on Boxing day.

I've travelled the world and spent Xmas in the northern hemisphere and failed to have a white Xmas. But good old "Aussie land" pulled it out of the bag for me and provided a magnificent Xmas day.

I hope everyone enjoyed their respective Xmas days and journeys as much as I did.

Cheers
Robert

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Whew,

For a moment there I thought you had taken up drugs!, having a "white powder" Christmas.

Nice to see you back

Regards
Michael G

Back