beutifying internal brick walls

I personally find internal brick walls very disgusting. What sort of things could one do to make them more attractive.

we have a "dungeon" room in our new PPOR. It is a very long room, with a window at one end, and brick walls down the long walls.
We are planning to knock out some sections to install windows down the long wall. Then we will gyprock over the bricks and paint the room, so it will hopefully be transformed from a dungeon to a bright, airy room.
Our bricks dont have a smooth surface, so the builders will also have to remove the bits of brick that jut out before they do the gyprocking work.

the 3 most common options would be

1 bag and paint - retains sense of the brick being there but allows colour to match home

2 render and paint - looks like many modern units, a little cold to the touch but a nuetral modern appearance

3 batten and gyprock and paint - for those that love the warmth and smoothness of gyprock.

well, sounds like gyprock is the only option that I like. Makes things easier if there is only 1 option available :D

Another question, what about the rough ceilings you have in some units. It looks like render. I also hate the look of this. Is there anything that could be done to get rid of it.

Depends whether it's IP or PPOR.

We have an IP that had dark brick internal walls and dark brown old carpet. Painted the walls white and recarpeted. Made the place look twice the size and very fresh.

For a PPOR I would probably gyprock as I like to hang pictures ... although had our huge PPOR brick, in your face, chimney breast rendered and painted and it looks fabulous as a non-in-your-face feature.

...what about the rough ceilings you have in some units. It looks like render. I also hate the look of this. Is there anything that could be done to get rid of it.

This is vermiculite. It can contain asbestos. Only 2 fixes:
1. Spray paint with HUGE amounts of white paint to seal & make look clean. (rollers do not work sufficently well - not even long nap ones)
2. Batten over and gyprock as per your brick wall question.

i had gyprock glued to internal bessa brick walls

if bricks have been painted the masonry adhesive wont work properly, so you have to get an angle grinder and take paint off (that's what the grey circles in the photo are) -a messy & time consuming job

before photo

5828162219_b70fbb1362_m.jpg

after photo

6334187004_1e01cc5632_m.jpg

Wow that is so beautiful :) I thought about gluing gyprock but what do you do when the exposed brick has a textured uneven surface?

Wow that is so beautiful :) I thought about gluing gyprock but what do you do when the exposed brick has a textured uneven surface?

You'd have to "batten it out" first. You might need to use a grinder with a diamond cutting blade to grind off any big chunky bits so the battens sit reasonably flush.

why cant you just glue to the bricks?

If the wall is flat you can - no issues. It is just that the poster said the walls had a "textured uneven surface", which conjured up images in my mind of internal brick walls I've seen before - like the one attached. ;)

Attachments

• chunkybricks.jpg
    chunkybricks.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 124
ahh not that bad, i think all the bricks are lined up per a "normal" brick wall, but when you look at the individual bricks they are not flat but have textures such as lines and bumps through them ..

Anyways I'm not doing a reno, my IP has them and when I lived there originally I wanted to get rid of that look, so I was asking out of curiosity.

BTW I love to be able to do renos myself, but the reality is I suck at it.

Roxy I love the light blue glass :)

I recently had some bare interior brick walls rendered. The final coat was specifically for interiors and produced by 'rockcote'. Looks like tiny plastic balls, and imo, incredible. The render is tinted to whatever colour you like, and as this place is an ip, I chose hogsbristle :) Never needs painting again.

There is a slight sparkle to it also. The hardware store where I bought it had a display of the stuff which looked great.

Definitely my pick for interior brick.

Me too. I'm considering an IP atm that has a few interior brick walls and would like to do something to at least a few of them.

Wish I had some photos of the walls of my IP before and after they had nothing more than a decent paint of white. Made 1000% improvement without a huge cost.

I personally find internal brick walls very disgusting. What sort of things could one do to make them more attractive.

We had face brick walls in the centre of a 2x1 unit that we owned and got a guy in that I worked with at the time to put gyprock plasterboard over the top of the bricks, metal corners were used to secure it all ; we then gave the whole place a new paint job ourselves and put in new carpets to modernize the place

Very happy with the results and still own the unit eleven years on - purchased at $80k and now renting at $270 p/wk with a rough valuation of $290-300k

Has me thinking now... its due for a re-paint soon :D

Back