Beware of AGL !

We recently switched our electricity and gas provider from Energy Australia to AGL (last month).

Today I received 2 letters from AGL. One is to welcome us. The other letter is to notify us that they are going to increase our rate, substantially.

This is annoying as we are locked to 2 years contract with them.

When one of their staff knocked on the door last month, promising all the better service & conditions, discounts etc etc, I did not expect to see my discount disappear before we even started.

We were told that AGL is an Australian company and E Aust was not. So it was one of major decision points to switch too.

Let me tell you my experience with AGL.

A few years ago, i left my phone number for AGL to contact me for a quote for gas and electricity.

When a person from AGL rang me, i mistakenly thought he was from GIO and advised him that i am no longer required his service. As i was at work, i immediately terminate the phone call. The same person with an accent (overseas call centre, I presumed) called me back and said it was very rude of me to hang up on me. He became very agressive, so to make things i apologised to mix him up with someone else. He then rang up again and told me off for similar disposition. This time I told him that if he does not stop calling me I will report him. Good news, the phone call stopped.

Because of this experience i was really reluctant to have any business with AGL. But recently it has changed. My local energy company were not able to match AGL discount and the service since has improved dramatically.

So i now switch to AGL. the price of electricity is regulated. the agl is late in increasing its regulated price. Other energy company has its energy price hike from 01/07/2012. FFrom my understanding AGL wll only increase its regulated price from 01/08/2012.

So my sense is that AGL is trying to get more customer. They have improved customer service with the highest discount in the market.

cheers

We recently switched our electricity and gas provider from Energy Australia to AGL (last month).

Today I received 2 letters from AGL. One is to welcome us. The other letter is to notify us that they are going to increase our rate, substantially.

This is annoying as we are locked to 2 years contract with them.

When one of their staff knocked on the door last month, promising all the better service & conditions, discounts etc etc, I did not expect to see my discount disappear before we even started.

We were told that AGL is an Australian company and E Aust was not. So it was one of major decision points to switch too.

Pricing would appear to have more to do with external factors?

Ta

Rolf

I have recently shopped around on power prices and some of the stories about AGL scared me off. The number of people who have ongoing account problems is much higher than Energy Australia.

I ended up staying with Energy Australia, I asked them what is there discount offer and was given 12.5% discount if I signed a 2 year contract so I took that.

It's not that easy to compare electricity prices. They say that they will give you a percentage discount. But a discount from what initial figure and for how much electricity?
One supplier might have a cheaper rate for the first x number of kWh while another might have a slightly higher rate but offer that rate for more kWh.
In NSW IPART recommend to always check their site before signing up to cold callers brokering electricity contracts.
http://www.myenergyoffers.nsw.gov.au/

We were with AGL a few years ago, and then moved to Energy Australia. From memory they called me numerous times to talk me into sticking to AGL. It was very annoying.

from what I know, in NSW the electricity price is regulated
so AGL or whatever supplier will give you x% off from the regulated price.

I'm with AGL by the way and I was recently hunted down by Origin but I told them I was not interested :D

I will never use AGL again. Not even if they have the cheapest rate.

I have had a bad experience with them that cost me more than the discounted rate of electricity. They forgot to connect electricity in an IP that I was doing a major reno on. Then after many phone calls and many broken promises and apologies we eventually got electricity connected 5 days late. But in the mean time tradies could not work which created large delays in a very tight timeline which cost me money.

They increased by $1/day.

I could not comprehend the fact that we received the welcome letter and the rate increased on the same day.

I would have stayed with E Aust as they were giving us 4% discount.

Our last bill with E Aust was $1000/qt. The increased of $1/day would be around 10% annually.

When you say, "I did not expect to see my discount disappear", do you mean they are forfeiting it, or do you mean you are getting a rise in electricity price?

Getting a discount does not mean you're immune to rises in electricity.

If it's not an electricity hike and your discount is being forfeited, reread your contract, and contact them.

As mentioned above, NSW electricity prices are regulated. So your discount is reduced from the regulated price which has recently gone up. (thanks to green slime and big spending state gov.)

As mentioned above, NSW electricity prices are regulated. So your discount is reduced from the regulated price which has recently gone up. (thanks to green slime and big spending state gov.)

Not quite true.

AGL is active in NSW for requesting Ausgrid to change the software of their customers units or alternatively requesting for smart meters to be installed once they lock in a customer.

They are the ONLY retailer who will not allow you to opt out of smart metering.

This ensures greater profits and neither EWON nor the state government care.

Personally I would stay clear of AGL.

Perhaps thats why they need all their advertising.

Back