Bicycle share schemes: the way of the future?

Agree with you 100% - the mentality of cyclists who think they own the road and can do as they please is VERY stupid!

have a browse through this website and maybe you may think a bit differently, michael was one of those 'cyclists on beach road" that you hate !
now he has a broken neck .. from a truck that didn't stop after runing him off beach road into a parked 4WD .... hmmm

http://www.michaelforbes.org/

I must be misinterpreting the little i have read of Michael's story, i don't think someone would do what i'm imagining :confused:

It almost sounds like he was riding a bicycle slowly since he was tired, heard a truck approaching in the next lane at presumably the legal speed limit, and then Michael changed lane, without indicating, to avoid a parked car, and crashed into the truck.

that's not what happened, not sure what you are reading .... he doesn't say that is what happened at all.

perhaps read the whole story first.

A place like Canberra that is spread out has room for pushbike lanes, and so it has pushbike lanes, and on my recent visit down there, I saw more pushbikers than I've seen just about anywhere.

Canberra has great infrastructure for bikes, with separated bicycle paths in many areas. A lot of people cycle in Canberra.

This shows that what is missing in Australia is the infrastructure, especially the protected bicycle paths.

I'm not surprised people don't want to cycle in cities where the only option is along a major road with fast car passing right next to you. I wouldn't feel safe doing it either.

I'm not so sure it's an Australian culture thing, as Canberra seems to show. You just need the infrastructure in place.

Without it, theses bike-share schemes may not take off at all.

Sydney is talking of having more bicycle paths. That would really be what makes a difference I believe.

Cheers,

did you know, BLINKING at 100kph covers 2.5 metres?
did you know, SNEEZING at 100kph covers 30 metres?
did you know that 100kph is 33m - EVERY SECOND?

Just to correct some numbers BC:
- 100km/h = 100/3.6 = 27.8 metres per second
- Scouring the internet I seem to find a general consensus that the blink of an eye takes 300-400ms, as per here, which means you cover about 8m - 11m but this seems too long for me.
- Can't find any good info about the length of time for a sneeze but 1 sec sounds about right...

Of course I only ride my bike up to 60 zones so the above doesn't apply... and yes my life depends on drivers taking reasonable care and attention, as always when I venture outside!

yet the order of who gives way to who is reversed.

No it's not. Who gives way depends on who has right of way. Pedestrians give way to bicycles and cars in the absence of a pedestrian crossing. Cars don't give way to bicycles anymore than bicycles give way to cars.

And filtering to the front of the car pack at the lights is legal in Western Australia at least - cars just have to drive straight past after all - not too hard!

By the way, I'm a cyclist, driver and pedestrian, all rolled into one!

Just to correct some numbers BC:
- 100km/h = 100/3.6 = 27.8 metres per second

cool! good to know for parties!maybe it was 110kph...?

- Scouring the internet I seem to find a general consensus that the blink of an eye takes 300-400ms, as per here, which means you cover about 8m - 11m but this seems too long for me.

they class blinking from start to stop - i was reading a Dr Karl book about how your eyes are physically shut for 2.5m. you may lose concentration though 2.5m before and after the closing of the eyes though - so that could be right!

- Can't find any good info about the length of time for a sneeze but 1 sec sounds about right...

again - Dr Karl is your friend :D

i reckon it's backwards :p:p:p

I am far from one of the bogans you are describing, but cyclists drive me INSANE! :mad: I drive along Beach Road in Melbourne every day, and cyclists cause me more stress than drivers. They hold up traffic, break laws and what annoys me the most is when you get to a traffic light they cycle up to the front to hold you up again rather than just sitting back staying in their place behind you. I try to get as close to the gutter as possible to deter them getting in front. Actually no, what annoys me most is they don't use the bike path which is available for part of the Beach Road trip, they use the roads! They should HAVE to use bike lanes/paths whenever they are available rather than the roads and also they should be registered so they can be identified so they don't just roll through red lights without a care in the world. So maybe the driver mentality of aggression towards a lot of cyclists is brought on by the cyclists and is well deserved.

This highlights a lack an empathy that has developed among some car drivers and some bicycle riders. That is dangerous.

Imagine yourself riding on a bike on a major road. You are doing maybe 25 km/h. Vehicle traffic is doing 60-70 km/h. Even if there is a bicycle lane on the road, cars are passing you at much greater speed. One small mistake from one of those drivers can send you to hospital. Who do you think ought to be more stressed? The cyclist or the car driver?

Cyclists travel at a range of speed from pedestrians up to a slow car in city traffic. When they travel slowly, they can mix with the pedestrians, as they sometimes do when they have to ride on footpaths. If you had to choose between having serious chance of getting killed and riding on the footpath, which one would you choose? The idea of making riding a bicycle on the footpath illegal is completely stupid. Cyclist are happy enough to use the road when it is not lethal. Pushing them into the road when it's not is crazy.

As a pedestrian, if you see the "little red sign' telling you not to cross at a light, many people look very carefully, then they cross the street. Think of a cyclist crossing carefully through a red light when there is no traffic as doing pretty much the same. They are not putting anybody else life in danger. What would that make you so upset? It shouldn't matter to you.

A natural advantage of riding a small vehicle like a motorbike or a cycle is that you don't have to be stuck in traffic jams created by theses large cars, carrying often only one person. Have a bit more respect for those using much less road space. If you push them into cars, it will mean more traffic jams for you.

On a positive note, I ride to work a few times per week in Sydney. I only use small, secondary streets. I never had any problem with car drivers. They leave me plenty of space and I do the same when they need to overtake. It is a relationship of mutual respect. It works. Maybe it is because I am wearing bright yellow clothing that is nearly impossible to miss. I also have a rear view mirror so I know what's behind me. I also ride a bike with an upright position, not a racer where you are bent over. That makes it much easier to see and be seen by the traffic. I don't believe that cars & bicycles need to be in a adversarial relationship. A little bit of respect and consideration from each side goes a long way.

Try it. You might find your commute a bit more enjoyable.

Cheers,

Last edited:
have a browse through this website and maybe you may think a bit differently, michael was one of those 'cyclists on beach road" that you hate !
now he has a broken neck .. from a truck that didn't stop after runing him off beach road into a parked 4WD .... hmmm

http://www.michaelforbes.org/

I've just had a chance to read the story. I am very sorry for what happened to Michael and would never wish this upon any cyclist, however I stand by my comments and anything further I have to say will only offend further so I'm not going to say anything.

that's not what happened, not sure what you are reading .... he doesn't say that is what happened at all.

perhaps read the whole story first.
This:

Now for those of you who are not familiar with my accident, I will give you a brief synopsis of what has been accepted to have happened. I was performing a training ride on Beach Road in June last year. I was about 5 km from home having completed the hard riding in my training ride and was cooling down. As I was heading up a small rise I heard a large vehicle from behind approaching me. There was a parked four-wheel-drive in front of me that I needed to go around. The truck struck me on the right hand and wrist towards the tail end of the truck. This caused my hand to be dislodged from the handlebars and I lost control of my bicycle. I remember the sheer fright at this point and nothing thereafter. Evidently following this loss of control I collided with the parked four-wheel-drive and broke my neck and jaw. My stay in hospital is what followed including an induced coma for 12 days.
I've read this again so if i'm grossly missinterpreting things, i'd guess that many other readers would also be doing the same. Perhaps a revision of this brief synopsis would be an idea?
There are a number of things about this accident that I think could have been avoided. One is obviously the use of Beach Road by a truck on the weekend...
That's the same as saying that beach road is there only for bicyclists. Are cars allowed to use the road?
...the other is the issue of cyclists needing to duck in and out to go past parked vehicles. It is this last issue which I believe creates a lot of frustration for both the cyclists and the motorists.
Bikes do not need to duck in and out, they need to change langes properly, following the law here would be a great idea for everyone, including anyone that has had an unfortunate accident, and doesn't wish for it to happen again.

you are obviously a car driver ........ and by the sound of it one that hates bike riders.

cheers

I've driven trucks, cars, riden motorbikes, bicycles, bmx's, boats, no planes or helicopters yet, but i wouldn't say i hate bikes - one thing i hate is people that think they have to right to break the road rules and cause accidents.

so you hate the truck driver that hit him ?

do all cyclists break the road rules ?
do all car drivers break the road rules ?

Like i was saying earlier, if i'm interpreting the events correctly, the truck didn't break the law, but he did. So no, because of how it seems, i don't hate the truck.

What if it was a motorbike, not a truck? And the bicyclist veered into the motorbike's path, causing the motorbike to slide onto the other side of the road, and then killed by an oncoming car, from a panic attempt to avoid the bicycle who was dodging parked cars?
Would you feel sorry for the motorcyclist and be angry at the bicyclist?

I'm sure you wouldn't approve if a bicyclist was riding along, and me driving my big truck, veered into his path to avoid a parked car, running the bicyclist over.

I've met a fair few people btw, that have been in a medically induced coma, and in intensive care, months of hospital and years of rehab, because of people breaking the road rules. There were a couple of people i met aswell, that were there because of their own mistake - i never heard them try to blame someone else for their own mistake.

Don't tell them that, that's not what i'm suggesting at all. Trucks definitely do not own the road, i've been cut off by plenty of them when i've been in cars and on motorbikes.

You can feel free to tell anyone however, car, bike, truck, whatever driver, to follow the road rules, and not cut people off.

... however I stand by my comments ...

Not much compassion still. :(

Like you suggested, I think we need a bit more legislation here. We only have millions of pages of law, a few more can't hurt.

Let's make it MANDATORY for bicycle haters to have a flashing red light on the roof of their car. This will tell bicycle riders to stay well away from that car. :D

Cheers,

Not much compassion still. :(

I said I wasn't going to say anything but I have to respond to that. I have much compassion for the victim in this incident, which is why WE (BOTH cyclists and motor vehicles) need to work out a way to prevent this happening in future. I don't understand what the truck driver did wrong in this incident, sounds to me like the cyclist pulled out in front of a truck who was travelling in his own lane, but I'm not going to start pointing the finger and throwing blame at a guy in a wheelchair. He's suffered enough and I'm not going to start a dispute as to whether he was wrong or right - either way, he's paying the penalty for it.

I think my comments are fair in that I don't understand why cyclists can't use bike tracks/lanes when they are available and roads when they aren't available. I don't understand why they cycle up to the front of a red light, only to hold up the traffic again (and they do, you can't always go around them, especially when it's a busy road and the lanes aren't that wide), rather than sit behind the car they come up behind and wait their turn (when I said I get close to the gutter, I don't mean I do this close to a bike to cut them off - I do it safely where I know there is a cyclist a long way back who might catch up while the light is red, so I'm not cutting them off, they have PLENTY of time to stop). I don't understand why RECREATIONAL cyclists think it's ok to cycle in packs in at least 2 across in peak hour traffic when the road is already highly congested from people just wanting to get to/from work (Beach Road is one of these roads, I'm glad I travel opposite the traffic, but the peak hour traffic can get quite heavy), why don't we just allow skateboarders and rollerbladers use of the road too then?! I am very tolerant of cyclists who I see with backpacks on their back so I can see they are obviously commuting, this I am fine with, I guess my annoyance is more so of the recreational ones who hold up traffic (and there are HEAPS of them constantly near where I live which is why my patience is so thin with them). And in that article I read in regards to that accident, cyclists are saying trucks shouldn't be allowed to use Beach Road on weekends? Are they serious?? I pressume this is because there are so many cyclists going out for their weekend ride (the commuting to save the environment argument fails here), so they want the roads for themselves? Now I have issues with a number of the trucks that drive that road (some go very fast and weave in and out of traffic) but you can't ban them, when they are working and providing a service so the cyclists can go for their leisurely ride!!

House_Keeper you got it right when you said we don't have the infrastructure in place to have the bike schemes in place as you mentioned earlier. Roads should be wider with a bike lane (and I mean a proper bike lane, one that pedestrians don't use) and cyclists should have to use them (baffles me why some don't use them on Kerferd/Albert Road though). Then everyone can use the roads happily and safely!

I think my comments are fair in that I don't understand why cyclists can't use bike tracks/lanes when they are available and roads when they aren't available.
That's fair yes but that is not all you have written.

I don't understand why RECREATIONAL cyclists think it's ok to cycle in packs in at least 2 across in peak hour traffic when the road is already highly congested from people just wanting to get to/from work (Beach Road is one of these roads, I'm glad I travel opposite the traffic, but the peak hour traffic can get quite heavy), why don't we just allow skateboarders and rollerbladers use of the road too then?! I am very tolerant of cyclists who I see with backpacks on their back so I can see they are obviously commuting, this I am fine with, I guess my annoyance is more so of the recreational ones who hold up traffic (and there are HEAPS of them constantly near where I live which is why my patience is so thin with them).
It's parts like that which worries me, it seems to me you think the road is only for motorists or that motorists have some special right over cyclists!

Just because you are in such a hurry to get to your job and home everyday does not mean your any more important than a recreational or casual cyclists. What, just because they they are not needing to work at a 9 to 5 job like you, they are something that should get the hell out of your way????

And as for skateboarders etc, I would much rather see skaters use the road and everyone used skateboards and bikes, how much better would life be if everyone wasn't in such a rush as you?

Just because you are in such a hurry to get to your job and home everyday does not mean your any more important than a recreational or casual cyclists. What, just because they they are not needing to work at a 9 to 5 job like you, they are something that should get the hell out of your way????

Yes! The roads are already congested enough without non necessities using them in peak hour. I'm not going to cycle my 20km (used to be 40km) trip to work each morning! I do like to walk however, so maybe on the weekends when I want to go for a walk along the beach, I might do it on the roads because the pedestrians on the footpath don't go fast enough for me, so I might wonder along on the left side of the road and see what the cyclists think of that.

Back