Bidding for a family member in auction

Hi
If I want to bid for my wife/son who will not be present during the auction (as it is the regional area) what needs to be done?
1. Do i need the proxy form (I searched over and couldn't find any).
2. Or the power of attorney?

Can someone help and forward me the link where i can download this form?

Regards
Velli

Generally you sign the contract in your name followed by, "and/or nominee".

The conveyancer then generates paperwork to change it to the correct person later.

The conveyancer then generates paperwork to change it to the correct person later.

Common in VIC but not in other states such as NSW.

OP - check if you can do a phone bid. They will normally require a form to be signed plus a copy of the purchasers' ID.

DO NOT do this in NSW or you're up for double stamp duty. OK in Vic though from my understanding.

You'll need an Authority to Bid (the REA can supply this to you) and either a blank signed (by the absentee buyers) contract for sale or a limited POA to allow you to sign on their behalf.

My understanding is that even in VIC you would need a written appointment prior to entering the contract. i.e. the nominee must be appointed in writing beforehand. Best to seek advice from a property lawyer.

DO NOT do this in NSW or you're up for double stamp duty. OK in Vic though from my understanding.

You'll need an Authority to Bid (the REA can supply this to you) and either a blank signed (by the absentee buyers) contract for sale or a limited POA to allow you to sign on their behalf.

Yup, that's it. The purchaser will also need to send through a copy of their driver's licence for identification purposes

One of the reasons for the difference between NSW and Vic is that in NSW the primary instrument that attracts stamp duty is the contract and if the transfer is in conformity with the contract nominal stamp duty of $10 is payable. In Victoria the primary instrument that attracts stamp duty is the transfer (at least it was in the 80s)

In QLD, you could have the contract in their name, and sign as duly authorised agent. The agent appointment does not need to be in writing.

Hi
If I want to bid for my wife/son who will not be present during the auction (as it is the regional area) what needs to be done?
1. Do i need the proxy form (I searched over and couldn't find any).
2. Or the power of attorney?

Can someone help and forward me the link where i can download this form?

Regards
Velli

Hi Velli

Easiest and most economical option here is to ask the selling agency for an "Authority to Bid" form for your wife/son (note buyers must sign authority and provide ID numbers eg: Drivers Licences) so that you can bid on their behalf. Also ask if the auctioneer can sign on their behalf, if you are successful. This can be on the same Authority form or simply be agreed in writing prior. In our experience, most auctioneers are fine with this and it's easier and less messy than dealing with POAs. See a pretty standard example attached now that most Sydney agencies provide in one format or another. Good luck with it all. :)

Attachments

• Bidding AuthorityAuctioneer.docx
    45.7 KB · Views: 105
Back