BiFold Doors

Anybody attempt to import any building products before?

All the quotes i have been getting seem to range from 8-11K. Just got one from a company which promised to beat whatever price i had.

With the current AUD - i have managed to get a quote of a 5.5m X 2.5 meter (5 leaf) double glazed bifold doors for AUD3-4K overseas shipped with import duty, GST and insurance delivered to my door.

We had a tenant who set up a showroom. They were importing window frames, doors and bifolds.

The amazing thing (to me at least) was the the frames were made out of plastic/resin. Sounded just like a wooden door when you closed it. Would save on painting as it looks like it is supplied with the colour mixed in.

Not suprisingly they have since closed and left the premises.

What recourse do you have if you are not satisfied the doors received meet the description?

Can you check our the company adequately?

You won't be covered by Australian leglislation.
Marg

checked already

Doors have been imported before by others being they have done the checks AS2088(glazing)- Sydney company actually goes every year to certify this and AS2047(doors and windows) done in a certified laboratory recognized by NATA (National Australian Testing Authority, Australia). Before sending it across, quality checked by an Australian company who does the importing. So any issues - speak to the aussie company.

We had a tenant who set up a showroom. They were importing window frames, doors and bifolds.

The amazing thing (to me at least) was the the frames were made out of plastic/resin. Sounded just like a wooden door when you closed it. Would save on painting as it looks like it is supplied with the colour mixed in.

Not suprisingly they have since closed and left the premises.

interesting - mine is aluminum double glazed (5mm). powder coated to any dulux colour.

yeah did try them - still the width of the door is fixed as to the number of leafs as well. and the height as well at 2.1 meters. i got an opening of 2.5 meters..height... still the price i got is more worthwhile since i get it customized to my opening.

Sounds like the same this (those UPVC doors).

The showroom is still there (tenant left all their display stock behind) - free if anyone wants them. It is just odds and ends though, one colour of this, one of that - probably of no use - unless you wanted a single leaf of a bifold door.

it's aluminium - it's not UPVC. It's double glazed - and with a proper certificate (sydney company) for the glazing of glass which is AS2088 for tempered glass under the building code of Australia. It's also has a rating of N5 on the AS2047 which is much higher than some manufacturers locally.

As to other manufacturers - they will only come back with yeah if it is over 2.3 meters height - it's considered commerical. bang add another 5K to total price.

For me - Sorry - i'm not gonna pay that. Anyone who can find me a cheaper manufacturer who can do it delivered for that price - i'll give them 1K.

Just curious Melbournian, as I may be getting bifolds and live in Sydney, which company gave you the reasonable quote for the aluminium bifolds?

it's aluminium - it's not UPVC. It's double glazed - and with a proper certificate (sydney company) for the glazing of glass which is AS2088 for tempered glass under the building code of Australia. It's also has a rating of N5 on the AS2047 which is much higher than some manufacturers locally.

As to other manufacturers - they will only come back with yeah if it is over 2.3 meters height - it's considered commerical. bang add another 5K to total price.

For me - Sorry - i'm not gonna pay that. Anyone who can find me a cheaper manufacturer who can do it delivered for that price - i'll give them 1K.

Thats interesting mel.

So you think to save money the bifold should be less than 2.3 metres?

So anythinh above 2.3m is considered commercial?

Is thats a industry standard or does it go per shop or manufacturer?

nope . the aussie companies here were saying because i wanted a door larger than 2.3 meters - it meant that i had to pay more

I just wanted my door to more or less fit my opening which was 2.5 meters high

Hi Guys,

We import double glazed aluminium windows from overseas - they are made to any size and are far superior to anything we found with the local manufacturers in Australia. We recently installed them in our family home.

One of the main features we liked is that they have the tilt/turn option as well as inbuilt retractable flyscreens).

Our bifolds are about 2.2 metres high but heights can be up to 3.0 metres (provided they have adequate support) - speak to your engineer about that! They can span any distance you desire..

Would be happy to discuss the windows with anyone interested. Email me on [email protected] - and you can also see the product on our website www.bibcon.com.au

We are also happy to arrange a time to meet and show you the windows at our home (in Melbourne) as that will give you a proper overview of the windows.

Regards,

Gilad

Thanks bibcon.

Im from syd, and wouldnt mind coming down to melb if prices are good compared to what ive seen.

Would you be able to give me rough estimate on what these bifolds will cost,

5 panel 2.4m high by 3.4m and

3 panel 2.4m high by 4m

And do you deliver to sydney?

Hi Maza. I will be back to you with prices shortly and yes we can deliver to Sydney.

Melbournian should have prices for you shortly as well.

Regars,

Bibcon

Hi Guys,

Price for your windows as follows. These are estimates subject to final measurements and do not include Freight or GST. We are happy to organise delivery/shipping to your address at cost, or alternatively if you have your own shipping agent you can organise this yourself.

Also, we have a range of extras that go with these windows including retractable flyscreens and standard range of windows – sliding, tilt/turn, sliding and retractable flyscreens. As mentioned in a previous post, we are happy to show these windows installed into our own home in Melbourne.

The flyscreens are pretty unique - i can email photos of these if you would like to see them.

Please send me an email to [email protected] and I can send you a formal quote.

Maza

Details:
Double glazed – insulated heat strengthened clear 4mm + air gap 12mm + heat strengthen clear 4mm
Windows are aluminium profiles powder coated according to standards colour range

5 panels - 3400 mm wide x 2400 mm height – approximate AUD$2,787 excl GST
5 panels – 4000 mm wide x 2400 mm height – approximate AUD$2,970 excl GST

Melbournian – given the size we can only make your bifolds with 6 panels.

Details:
Double glazed – insulated heat strengthened clear 4mm + air gap 12mm + heat strengthen clear 4mm
Windows are aluminium profiles powder coated according to standards colour range

6 panels - 5500 mm wide x 2500 mm height – approximate AUD$4,180 excl GST

Regards,

Bibcon

Aluminium Bifold Doors and Windows

Hi Guys,

I've head that Avanti are pretty good but they are based in Perth. Not sure if they deliver to Sydney or Melbourne but apparently they look after all the premium builders so I'm sure the quality is good :).

Their website is avanti.com.au/bi-fold-doors

Back