big banks 85 no LMI?

I think it depends on your circumstances (occupation).

I get 90% across the board, and 95% through a NAB subsidiary.

Couple of the smaller dudes do no LMI at 85%.

Couple of professions are eligible for up to 90% no LMI such as but not limited to:

1. Medical Professionals
2. Solicitors/Lawyers
3. Engineers
4. Athletes
5. Celebrities
6. Politicians

There are certain conditions for each of these professionals such as qualifications, minimum income levels, etc.

.... or if you don't fit either box then just go 85% capitalise the LMI and if its an investment its tax deductible for the first 5 years. So no biggie biggie.

citi only do it for purchses, and the product choice is restircted. Pepper do 85 for either purchase or refinance.

Couple of the smaller dudes do no LMI at 85%.

Couple of professions are eligible for up to 90% no LMI such as but not limited to:

1. Medical Professionals
2. Solicitors/Lawyers
3. Engineers
4. Athletes
5. Celebrities
6. Politicians

There are certain conditions for each of these professionals such as qualifications, minimum income levels, etc.

Don't forget us beancounters :D

Citibank's no LMI products make good economic sense when you compare them with Citibank's LMI premiums, but they don't stack up quite so well against competitors in a lot of cases.

Citibank has some of the most expensive LMI premiums around. If you're taking an 85% loan the LMI waiver products have higher rates, so the break even point is roughly 6-10 years. This is a reasonable deal.

Other lenders LMI premiums are significantly lower however. When compared with this, the cost of the Citibank loan can be more expensive after about 2-3 years.

It all depends on the price point, lender being compared to, actual LVR, longer term plans, etc. For this to be worthwhile, you do need to look closely and analyse the figures properly. "Pay no LMI", is a good marketing proposition, and it sometimes works well, but sometimes it doesn't.

Interested to hear people's views on their portfolio growth strategies in regards to LMI. My conundrum is this: do you buy just one property at 80/20, or buy two at 90/10 each (and pay LMI capitalized on to the loans)? Sure, you'd be up for double the stamp duty plus purchase/due diligence costs, but it would enable you to buy two in one go, doubling your portfolio growth. If you are buying in stable/sensible markets too, you'll also be protected from the risk that ordinarily comes with having 90/10 ratios on properties.

What are people's thoughts on this strategy?

Interested to hear people's views on their portfolio growth strategies in regards to LMI. My conundrum is this: do you buy just one property at 80/20, or buy two at 90/10 each (and pay LMI capitalized on to the loans)? Sure, you'd be up for double the stamp duty plus purchase/due diligence costs, but it would enable you to buy two in one go, doubling your portfolio growth. If you are buying in stable/sensible markets too, you'll also be protected from the risk that ordinarily comes with having 90/10 ratios on properties.

What are people's thoughts on this strategy?

All else being equal, I think it's a great way to accumulate property early on. If your risk profile and plans and goals are in line with that kind of strategy, I reckon go for it.

Citis 85 can be pricey on variable but throw in a fixed / variable then its not too bad when you work out the interest difference between that vs other option with LMI.
Which is a choice people have to make on the day how they want to roll the dice.

I'm with Westpac and waiting on evals on my portfolio to hopefully release equity and go shopping :)

Im currently on 72% LVR on approx $1.8m but have been using 80% LVR in my calcs.

Interested in going to 90% LVR if it means I can skip on LMI.

What boxes do I need to tick? I'm a systems engineer with 12 years experience on $120k excluding comms and bonuses.

Do they take my wife's income into consideration for LMI?

I'm with Westpac and waiting on evals on my portfolio to hopefully release equity and go shopping :)

Im currently on 72% LVR on approx $1.8m but have been using 80% LVR in my calcs.

Interested in going to 90% LVR if it means I can skip on LMI.

What boxes do I need to tick? I'm a systems engineer with 12 years experience on $120k excluding comms and bonuses.

Do they take my wife's income into consideration for LMI?

Chartered member of Engineers Australia? Wife's income can be accepted if she is on the loan.

Back