big fire insurance claim question

Just been told that one of my houses has been set on fire

Apparently. A molotov cocktail was set off inside

Apparently the entire house is smoked damaged eith one room all grey and the rest of the house. Slightly discolored . But nothing looks burnt

im quite sute structurally is unaffected

Realistcally. What willl insurqnce do? I was hoping for a rebuild, but thats not looking likely.

Hi TMNT,

I had a fire lit in a rental property about 5 yrs ago whilst it was in between tenants.

The house was deemed a write off but due to the fact i had 2 units already approved for the site it was a **** fight getting a claim out of them.

It started with a recorded interview over about 2 hrs with the insurance investigator. I had to provide bank statements, phone records for last 2 yrs! Talk about dramatic. The questions were very repetitive trying to trip me up but as it was all legit i handled that no worries.

After about 3 months they got back to me saying they would pay me out $25,000 in total( the house had been insured for $200,000). I scoured the policy and after plenty of letters, phone calls etc they got back to me after about another month and said that the final offer was $50,000, take it or leave it.

I dug my heals in though and after another 2 offers and a complaint with the financial ombudsman i received a cheque for $200,000 and they paid for the block to be cleared! All this took about 8 or 9 months.

You need to know your policy and then stick to your guns. Don't let them dictate terms, you have a paid agreement in place and they need to honour it!

Good luck.

Why would you assume that?

um cos its vandalism........... its hardly going to be classified as wear and tear!
Hi TMNT,

I had a fire lit in a rental property about 5 yrs ago whilst it was in between tenants.

The house was deemed a write off but due to the fact i had 2 units already approved for the site it was a **** fight getting a claim out of them.

It started with a recorded interview over about 2 hrs with the insurance investigator. I had to provide bank statements, phone records for last 2 yrs! Talk about dramatic. The questions were very repetitive trying to trip me up but as it was all legit i handled that no worries.

After about 3 months they got back to me saying they would pay me out $25,000 in total( the house had been insured for $200,000). I scoured the policy and after plenty of letters, phone calls etc they got back to me after about another month and said that the final offer was $50,000, take it or leave it.

I dug my heals in though and after another 2 offers and a complaint with the financial ombudsman i received a cheque for $200,000 and they paid for the block to be cleared! All this took about 8 or 9 months.

You need to know your policy and then stick to your guns. Don't let them dictate terms, you have a paid agreement in place and they need to honour it!

Good luck.

oh thats nuts, glad you got a cheque out of it, how bad was the damage, it sounds like it was pretty bad, my one is just smoke damaged through out the house with the main room fairly black, with no structural damage,

as for 2 hr phone interview, what on earth were they trying to get you on?????? like lighting the fire yourself?!?!?!

Smoke damage unless there is peeling of the plasterboard face, will generally need a wash down, prep coats then finishing coats. And replacement of smoke damaged items such as carpets, blinds etc which wont clean.

Given people on here have renovated burnt out houses for $25k they wont demolish it for smoke damage.

It should be in the wording of your insurance policy. Not sure of any policies that don't cover malicious damage?

All damage should be reinstated to a 'pre-loss' condition. The ins co will ensure rebuilding will be done to the minimum so no betterment is made. If the plasterboard just needs neutralising and painting, that's what will happen. Be mindful of the brick veneer (if present?) - if it's smoke damaged the smoke smell will keep returning if that's not treated.

Thabks everyone for your feedback

I just assumed smoke damaged walls needed resheeting
but it looks like its not necessary

Just been told that one of my houses has been set on fire

Apparently. A molotov cocktail was set off inside

Maybe it will come under the terrorism act of god clause,but I saw 10 litres of flat white at Adli the other day for under 30 bucks..

It should be in the wording of your insurance policy. Not sure of any policies that don't cover malicious damage?

I would assume they would cover malicious damage but would need to file a police report.

I had this happen when someone punched in my car window and kicked off the side mirror (road rage is fun!).

I filed a police report and then contact insurance about claiming on it and since I had screen protection I could get the windscreen replaced for free (but as my car was more than 3yrs old it would be generic glass).

When to get a quote to fix the mirror and was going to be about $1,500 (love European cars) so got a quote to put genuine glass on and it was a further $800. Since I thought I was going to have to pay the excess I said lets do that.

Went back to insurance company with the quote to repair and I didn't have to pay the excess as it was malicious damage. I am assuming the insurance company will get all the money from the individual who caused the damage.

The guy went to court pleaded guilty (I didn't attend) had to write a letter and pay money. I got a cheque couple weeks later from the courts with the same amount as the repairs but I banked it as I thought it was compo for me. Been 3-4 years now and haven't heard from anyway.

So if anyone else feels like kicking my window & mirror please feel free lol.

Back