Big increase in Unimproved land value in Perth?

Is anyone else getting hit with big increases in the unimproved land values in their land tax statement this year?

I just received mine and here are the increases from last year in the value:
* Bentley: 30.4% to $225k
* Vic Park: 17.5% to $370k

And the amount of land tax payable goes up a whopping 64%!

Anyone disputing their land tax with the WA Value General?

I don't know how to get the detailed data to mount my case. But I know house (not land) prices did not go up that much during the period.

I don't know how to get the detailed data to mount my case. But I know house (not land) prices did not go up that much during the period.

How do you know that? Neither of those valuations seem very high if we're talking about typical residential blocks in those suburbs.

What sort of lots do you have?

How do you know that? Neither of those valuations seem very high if we're talking about typical residential blocks in those suburbs.

What sort of lots do you have?
Bentley median house prices went up 8% in 2013 and 5% in 2014 according to REIWA data. The Valuer General valuation is done in Aug 2013 so I assume they're saying my Bentley land value went up 30% from Aug 2013 to 2013.

These are 565 sqm back duplex lot in Bentley and 350 sqm stand-alone lot in Vic Park.

House prices may have not gone up as much but who's to say the amount of land tax you were paying was correct? chances are you and many in the area hadn't been paying enough for years.

Bentley median house prices went up 8% in 2013 and 5% in 2014 according to REIWA data. The Valuer General valuation is done in Aug 2013 so I assume they're saying my Bentley land value went up 30% from Aug 2013 to 2013.

These are 565 sqm back duplex lot in Bentley and 350 sqm stand-alone lot in Vic Park.

Yeah they both sound low to be honest.

Shrug, looking at median growth stats doesn't really mean much does it? I think you would struggle to find comparable sales data to show that they valued your lots too high...

Looks like it's a jump to catch up with valuation then.

I'll still call them and see what they say..

Call who? The valuer generals department? What do you expect them to say? They'll of course stand by their valuation.

If you want guidance on how to challenge it, then start gathering evidence for the value of your lots - and also look up some SAT cases where people have gone to tribunal to challenge the valuations.

Back