Bill Marmion - gone too far...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp/7276014/new-minister-wants-to-flood-land-market/

while this has panic stations written all over, let me give you some background into LandCorp's idea of "flooding the housing market".

Karratha, Baynton West - in an attempt to drive down house prices and rents, they "flood the market" with 100 lots at a time, 2 years apart, into a critically imploding market. Wait lists for the land are now around 1000 at any one time. Next release due July (after being pushed back from Feb) for 200 lots. Apparently the State Govt are "enthusiastic" about the release....:rolleyes:

Port Hedland, Pretty Pool - a release of about 150 lots supposed to "cure" the land shortage - all it did was drive prices up. Town of PH released Amendment 22 - any and all rezoning considered with no maximum density - across the ENTIRE West End, or urban infill. In one council meeting the entire rental market was capped at $500 per room, although bare quarter-acre lot values skyrocketed again - as much as 50% almost overnight.

What they don't realise is the ENTIRE private developing comunity are laughing under their breath. It'd be a ministry to set up, like a royal commission, to speed the process up here in WA, otherwise this "process" will take 2 to 5 years after every govt agency has been consulted and all planning procedures exhausted. In a state full of civil servants, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be the talk of parties that so-and-so's dept wasn't consulted and now their boss has their nose out of joint because....blah blah blah because "you know, it's procedure! we SHOULD have been consulted". so start a facebook page already...

Point is, I have NO CONFIDENCE in the State Govt to deliver. Zero. Nix. Nada. And even IF (and that an IF the size of that stupid ferris wheel) they did have the gumption to get it done, the Feds would cut their GST revenue to a trickle - almost like an embargo on funding.

i think Bill Marmion should visit Big W and look for some more shoes, it appears he's outgrown his.

Nice rant BC. I agree these types of statements smack of a "green" Minister who has yet to get a grip on his portfolio. Time will tell whether he is actually up to the reality of the situation. I doubt it though when he puts so much emphasis on his first day into just releasing land as the single panacea that will solve everything. It's never that simple!

In the Perth area, he doesn't seem to care about urban sprawl or the necessary transport and other infrastructure either...

Just release more land! That will solve everything! It looks like we're going back to the '70s... :eek:

if they want to make an equitable difference to the stabilising of house prices and infrastructure, i have 2 words for them.

URBAN

and

INFILL.

i'm just gauging response before i turn this into a blog.

the bureaucrats pander to the populist demands of the day... one minute they want to curb expansion, save rare orchids and impose green obligations and development levies and convulated neighbour consultation periods, then they wonder why housing is so expensive

BARNETT has been visiting local councils of late looking to see what land they and the government own within their boundaries that is not being used, (or has a higher use ability) and can be rezoned for development

Dont know how they plan to ratify that, when they have "Protection and Enhancement of Open Space" policies

BARNETT has been visiting local councils of late looking to see what land they and the government own within their boundaries that is not being used, (or has a higher use ability) and can be rezoned for development

Dont know how they plan to ratify that, when they have "Protection and Enhancement of Open Space" policies

they can implement that through liveable neighbourhood policy and not allowing cash-in-lieu payments for open space req's (force develpers to put parks in).

however, CofW would WANT cash-in-lieu to fund their existing open space burden.....err, i mean responsibilities.

Back