Bill Zheng Newsletter

Hi all,

Below is Bill Zheng's latest newsletter for those that don't recieve it directly. An interesting read I thought.

"How Do You Find Value In Any Real Estate Market?

Welcome to this month’s newsletter.

Albert Einstein once said: “We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

When it comes to solving the problem of finding good value in any real estate market, it is almost impossible to do so if you just think within the real estate paradigm, but it becomes much easier and clearer if you move your thinking above the real estate paradigm and into the finance paradigm. After all, finance is the invisible hand that drives the real estate market.

Value vs. Price

First of all, we may need to distinguish between the value and the price of a property. The price of a property is the dollar figure you pay in a property transaction between two parties. The value of a property can be above or below its price, in other words, what the property is really worth.

For example, the price of a property is $500k, but the value is $600k, then you can say that you have found good value; if the price of a property is $500k, but the true value is only $400k, then you have bought an overpriced property. So our goal is to always buy properties where the price is lower than its value, and this can be done during good and bad times of the market.

The problem is, no one really knows what the true value of a property is. It is up to each individual to have their own formula. I will show you mine in just a moment, I need to give you the reasons behind my calculation first.

The Big Shopping Centre

Let’s look at how a shopping centre operator charges their tenants rent, this will help us work out the value of a residential property.

A shopping centre usually charges each store rent by how much they make, rather than by the size or location of the store.

For example, you may have two identical size stores side by side in the same location, if one is a jewellery store and the other is a newsagency, the jewellery store will usually pay a lot more rent than the newsagency. If you are the owner of the jewellery store and protest its fairness, the shopping centre operator will be glad to offer your store to another jeweller who may still see enough profit after paying a lot more rent than the newsagency next door.

You can see that one of the key functions of a shopping centre operator is to ensure that it offers enough reason for each store operator to make just enough money to stay operating in the shopping centre after paying a forever increasing rent that wipes out the best part of their profit.

In a strict financial sense, the shopping centre operator’s job is to empty the pocket of each store owner by leaving them just enough to survive and keep paying the rent. The day the store owner can’t pay the rent, the shopping centre operator will either replace them with someone who can, or stop increasing the rent and wait for the next earliest opportunity to do it again.

Let’s apply the shopping centre concept to residential properties. Can you imagine the following for a moment?

Your city (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, etc) is a big shopping centre;
The stores of this big shopping centre are called your family homes and you are the store operator;
The rent for each store is the mortgage you are paying for your home;
The shopping centre operator is the banks (e.g. over 90% of the mortgage lending is done by banks in Australia);
Your Surplus is the Bank’s Focus

If we apply the same logic of a shopping centre, the banks (i.e. the shopping centre operator) are forever looking to empty your pockets. Anytime they find that you still have money left and are not using it to pay for a bigger mortgage, they will find a way to ensure that you do☺.

If you think I am being harsh on the banks, maybe you should ask your parents and grandparents when was the last time they felt a home was cheap to buy in comparison to their income?☺. The answer is likely to be: never.

For example, if the banks discover that in a particular suburb, the average family only uses 30% of a single income to pay for their home mortgage, where an average family can survive by using 50% of their combined income to pay for a home mortgage, then clearly families in this suburb can still pay for more mortgages.

To increase the mortgage repayments for all the home owners in this suburb, the banks can’t just increase the interest rates for this suburb and not for others; hence the most obvious solution is to push the property prices up in this suburb so that they can increase the size of the mortgage.

How do banks push up the price of a particular suburb? By lending people in the suburb more money with easier qualified criteria. This includes easy lending to local government, property developers, property investors and home owners. For example, instead of lending home owners only 60%-80%, the banks can lend 95%-100% to this suburb.

Banks are similar to shopping centre operators, between equity and income, they tend to follow income, i.e. the banks will follow whoever still has surplus income after their current mortgage repayments and living expenses, and lend them more money. This in turn can push up property prices.

Current Examples

Let’s look at a few real life examples of its application:

Over the last 15 years, the baby boomers (between the age 50 and 64 currently) have the highest disposable income after mortgage repayments, the banks technically followed them around and threw money at them.

Wherever the baby boomers have wanted to live for the last 15 years, the property prices in those areas seem to have gone up much faster, because they can obtain finance very easily and push up property prices. You can say, home prices in the baby boomers strong hold areas have outperformed the average Australian money supply growth which is about 9% a year;

In the next 15 years, the baby boomers group is within 1-15 years of their retirement. Once you have less than 15 years of working income left, banks will stop offering 30 year mortgages, all of a sudden, the baby boomers’ high disposable income is no longer as powerful as before.

For example, the average age of a baby boomer is 58, with 7 years until retirement, the banks can only offer a 7 year loan for any home mortgage under normal circumstances, and this can greatly reduce the finance that a baby boomer can obtain, hence slowing down the property price growth in their areas.

But for a person who is only 49 today, they can still obtain a 30 year home loan. If you are over 50, you have to prove to the banks that you can pay off the entire home mortgage without selling your home upon retirement. This has become law since January 2011.

So in the eyes of the banks (i.e. the shopping centre operator), the baby boomers (i.e. the store operators) can no longer afford to pay higher rent (i.e. a bigger mortgage repayment). The banks have to wait for the next opportunity to increase the mortgage size, or find someone else who can afford to take on a bigger mortgage in those areas.

The only issue is that we don’t seem to have a large enough group of income earners with sufficient equity to replace the baby boomers at the moment, unless the government start introducing a Second Home Owner Grant☺ or the banks start offering quasi-equity to bridge the equity gap for the next generation.

You may have noticed that the baby boomer strong hold areas have not performed that well recently, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see these areas will continue to underperform in the market over the next decade until such time as the next generation of higher income earners gather enough equity to move into these areas while the baby boomers finally decide to down size.

Over the last few years, you may have seen property prices go up quite steadily in the Greenfield areas, i.e. outer suburbs where people buy house and land packages.

Traditionally, the income in these Greenfield areas was not high enough to attract banks’ interest, but the recent immigration trend has changed that condition. In fact, many of these outer suburbs will become middle suburbs over the next 2 decades.

The baby boomers are currently representing 1/3 of the entire workforce; they can only be replaced by an even larger size of working migrants to keep our tax base sufficient.

The new generation migrants are mostly between the age of 26 and 45, and have qualifications and skills that are in shortage at the moment. Hence they enjoy a higher than average income, but due to the lack of equity, they are not ready to move into the baby boomers strong hold suburbs, which are traditionally second or third home suburbs.

Due to the relative higher income and low equity of this new generation of migrants, the mortgage repayments of these migrant families often only represent 30% of a single income.

It is very obvious to the banks that the new generation of migrants still have too much income surplus that is not being used to pay for a mortgage; it is the banks’ duty to empty the pockets of these new migrants just like what they did to the baby boomers in the last 15 years☺!

The easiest way to do so is to push the property prices up for the new migrant strong hold areas by lending more money to them. The higher the property prices go, the emptier their pockets will become.

This is not to say that the local Gen X and Gen Y’s are not important for the banks to follow, but their size is insignificant in comparison to the new migrant population. For example, the new migrants (i.e. 3 million) coming to Melbourne will represent 75% of the entire current Melbourne population (i.e. 4 million), and the new migrants coming to Sydney (i.e. 2 million) will represent 44% of the current Sydney population (i.e. 4.5 million).

If the performance of the baby boomers strong hold suburbs for the last 15 years is any guide, we shouldn’t be surprised to see the new migrant strong hold suburbs for the next 15 years outperform the average. This trend has become more and more evident over the last 5 years, and I believe it will continue for another decade or so.
A ‘Strange’ New Trend

This is why we are seeing a strange new trend in just about every major city in Australia at the moment:

The suburbs that have made us the most money in the last 15 years have started to underperform the average, as most of them are baby boomer strong hold areas, where the driving force behind the growth from the last 15 years (i.e. the high disposable income that can be used for borrowing purpose) has started to disappear;
The Greenfield suburbs that we have traditionally considered as lower social demographics and mortgage belt areas, have suddenly become almost the only areas that are consistently performing well at the moment. Simply because the higher income of the new migrants have changed the outlook of these areas.

Over 50% of the new properties have been sold to migrants in the last 12 months in a few major cities, and one can only expect migrants beget more migrants in the same ethnic community. These suburbs may have a very good chance to outperform the average over many years to come.
The Value Formula

So here is the value formula that I use during any market conditions:

If 1/3 of an average single income in the suburb can cover the average home mortgage repayment, then this suburb presents itself with good value, provided the income can be used to obtain a 30 year mortgage.

For example, 1/3 of a single income $75k is $25k, which can cover a home mortgage of $360k. So if a suburb with an average home price of $350k-$450k, with an average single income of $75k, this suburb has presented good value to buy, regardless of whether the market is going up or going down at the moment.

There are a few key points when applying the value formula:

Not all properties between $350k and $450k present good values, you need to check the income for the area as well;
We can move the property price point upwards or downwards. For example, if an average single income in the suburb is $150k, and an average home mortgage is $720k, you will find those suburbs present good value as well;
When you apply the value formula, there is no reason why you should ignore all the good common sense rules in real estate investing, the value formula can help enhance your chance of success but it should not be used as the only measurement;
The suburbs that present good value at the moment may not present good value in the future;
The suburbs that do not present good value at the moment may present good value in the future;
The suburbs that presented good value in the past do not necessarily present good value in the future;
The suburbs that didn’t present good value in the past may present good value in the future.
The limitation of the Value Formula

There are a few limitations in regards to using a value formula:

You may miss out on some spectacular growth for some areas where their growth was mainly driven by human emotion rather than value. This is no different to people missing out on the dot.com rise where the value formula to measure stocks made all the dot.com stocks overpriced.
The value formula doesn’t tell you whether the areas can consistently perform better over a much longer term. While you can tell they are good value for now, they may or may not present strong long term prospect. This is no different to people buying stock or shares at a discounted price, that doesn’t guarantee the share can outperform the market over the long run.
If the rest of the market is not aware of the discounted prices for these areas, it may take some time for the prices to reflect the true value. In other words, the value formula can protect you from the downside better than giving you the upside.
Summary

Most property investors have their own rules when it comes to predicting future property performance, but if your rules are based on the wrong why, then the prediction can be misleading unless most people act according to the same wrong why, then most people will be wrong at the same time, hence it may become right or at least workable☺. For example, for thousands of years, we have no problems living under the wrong assumption that the earth is flat.

So I am not here to convince you to take on my value formula and abandon the predominant view of the market participants, because regardless of how convincing or logical an argument can be, if the majority of the market participants do not agree with it, the argument will be less effective. Hence it is my intention that you only use this value formula as another bench mark to double check your own conclusion of the property market.

Personally I am not going to hide the fact that majority of the residential properties in Australia do not currently present good value based on my value formula, this is the time we need to be even more selective.

However, I don’t expect property prices to crash, at least not the properties that present good value based on the value formula, but many property investors can get stuck with a non-performing investment portfolio for a long time if most of your properties are overpriced in comparison to its value. So now is a good time to review your entire property portfolio and define a more suitable investment strategy moving forward.

Finally, just in case some people may think that there is a secret banker sitting in the dark corner trying to empty your pockets all the time, it is just normal business behaviour for the banks to constantly look for ways to maximize their profit by lending more money to people who can still pay higher interest repayments. You and I would have done the same thing if we were given a job to run a bank. I am just glad that the law of maximizing the banks’ profit will never change, hence we can always benefit from this law during good and bad times.

Find Out More

(N.B. If you haven’t been to our Wealth Acceleration Workshops, where I explain further how you can accelerate your wealth through residential property investing, you may want to put aside 2.5 hours to help redefine your property investment strategy for the next 10 years. To find out more details about the workshops, you can simply reply to this email or call our office on 03 9868 7500.)"

Well this seems to cover first home buyers, what % of the market are they?

No mention of 2/3/4th home buyers with bags of equity.

No mention of investors(30% of the market) also with equity.

Cheers

Pete

all i hear is a nice swan song to fill a newsletter to keep the subscription quota rolling.

violin-and-bow-10.gif

and guess what he now flogs house and land packages in greenfield sites

the growth on re-sold house and land packages would be a good measure to see

just so obvious what he is doing

Actually what says makes perfect sense.....though I acknowledge that he is trying to flog new H&L packages.

At the moment there are heaps of Baby Boomer who are having difficulties selling their homes in the leafy suburbs 700k-$2m mark within 5-25 klms from the city in places like Sydney and Melbourne.

This end of the market is not moving so rapidly anymore. Prices decreases upto 100-350k are not unusual. These are not being reported because most Baby Boomers would have bought for less than $200k many years ago.

Bill Zheng also points out that the recent Indian and Asian skilled migrants move to areas where their relations or friends live...and this may not be in places like Mosman, Killara, or the Northern Beaches but to areas like Campbelltown, Blacktown or Parramatta.

Will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I also see that there will be an entire generation (Gen Y) where a significant portion will continue to rent and not own.

That was the most bizarre thing I have read all week.

Surely it's not an actual newsletter and someone is attempting to besmirch his reputation by making him sound like nutter....

From a statistics book that I'm reading, it's stated there that 'statistics can become an effective weapon with which to persuade or manipulate others into beliefs or behaviours that we'd like them to adopt'.

Is it the case on this one? Interesting read though.

You may want to ask yourself the question - is Bill and his organisation the right people to align yourself with to deliver your investing goals.

Maybe ask people who have used his services before.

The are a number of unquantified assertions if it is a spruik for greenfields H&L packages -

1. That immigrants do actually buy predominantly in these areas

2. That immigration will remain high (it's apparently dropping fast, down from an annual 220,000 to something like 140,000 I recently read somewhere, with seeming bipartisan support for a figure around 70,000)

3. That banks actually do offer higher LVRs in 'target' suburbs with higher disposable income

As an exercise in marketing rationalisation (assuming that's what it is), it comes across as pure flakery to me.

http://www.investorsdirect.com.au/goodnews/index_article_2.php
New newsletter just came through from Zheng. Give you bears something to refute! :D
Zheng cherry picks his was through all those "facts and figures", for example there are many glaring omissions from this spiel:

People ask me why Australia’s property prices didn’t drop like US after the GFC, here is my view on this: On the surface, it looks like our banking system is more prudent to avoid properties being over supplied, as Australian banks won’t lend you money to develop new properties until you have pre-sold most of them, whereas you can get finance to build 200 new homes in US without knowing who is going to buy them. Below the surface, it is mainly because Australia is getting wealthier as a nation, and US (& many European countries) are getting poorer due to their heavy indebtedness; To make matter worse, US (& many European countries) are in denial of such situation and trying to use more debt to solve their debt problems. Do you think using more cocaine is the solution for a cocaine addict?

What about these factors which I pointed out in a recent blog post:

- Australian banks tapped the US Fed for billions in emergency funding
- Australian banks were extended deposit and wholesale funding guarantees
- Australian banks benefited from increased lending stemming from the FHOB
- Australian banks were supported by the RBA (who bought RMBS)
- Australian banks were protected by ASIC with a ban on short-selling shares

http://www.bullionbaron.com/2011/09/preparing-for-collapse.html

Australia was in a better position than many other countries and the government saved our banks/property market through a multiple prong golden parachute. Something that might not work so well a second time if the credit markets freeze up again...

I don't disagree with his surmise that we are well positioned to take advantage of Asian (and Indian!) growth over the long term, however our markets (and those globally) have some major demons to battle in the short term.

We truly are facing challenges the magnitude of which the world has not seen since the great depression and many would argue that things are much worse.

Property may do well over a 20-30 year time frame, but I don't think there is much risk of missing any short term gains for those who want to sit out the next few years just to see how things play out.

Property may do well over a 20-30 year time frame, but I don't think there is much risk of missing any short term gains for those who want to sit out the next few years just to see how things play out.

That's what all my peers and friends said in 2008 (in Victoria). And we all know what happened next...

That's what all my peers and friends said in 2008 (in Victoria). And we all know what happened next...
Maybe they turn back on the stimulus tap. I don't think it will work as well the second time around, but if it did I'd bet that Gold would continue to outperform Victorian property like it has since 2008.

Maybe they turn back on the stimulus tap. I don't think it will work as well the second time around, but if it did I'd bet that Gold would continue to outperform Victorian property like it has since 2008.

We shall see. Although that comparison is a little irrelevant because ordinary investors don't put $500,000 into gold, but they do put $500,000 into a property.

"Ordinary investors" probably have their funds tied up in an under performing fund with a high management fee through their local big 4 branch "financial planner" (read: product pusher).

But we're getting a little off track here.

Maybe I'll be wrong like your mates were in 2008 (although that is very state specific commentary as there are a growing number of areas that are at or below their 2008 prices), maybe I'll be right and it would have been better sitting out the next 2-5 years. I've been around 5 years now, I'm sure I'll stick around another few years, bump the thread in 2014 for a review :p

Maybe we'll all be eating out of baked bean cans and living in huts by then due to GFC #2. We'll see then :)

Well I doubt it will be that dire, but I don't think it's likely there will be many around shelling out $2m for a townhouse/apartment in Melbourne :rolleyes:

Well I doubt it will be that dire, but I don't think it's likely there will be many around shelling out $2m for a townhouse/apartment in Melbourne :rolleyes:

There's not many shelling out $2m for a property in Melbourne even during boom times. But I only need a few.

Back