BILLY CONNOLLY!! touring early 2011

Discussion in 'Coffee Lounge' started by lizzie, 21st Sep, 2010.

1. lizzie

lizzie when i grow up ...

Media:
    got my tickets booked already.

last time he came out my jaw ached for days i laughed so long and loud. a must go.

2. bene313

bene313 Member

Bit exxy though... $180 for the show here.

Gotta love good stand-up.

3. Empty Pockets

Empty Pockets Member

Drops the F word too much for me but loved his travel docos.

4. Ausprop

Ausprop Member

Media:
    weird, I don't think he is funny in the slightest

5. weg

weg Member

I saw him last time also. Very, very clever and funny man.

6. Sheryn

Sheryn Member

Media:
    I would have to agree. Imagine paying $180 to hear someone swear frquently.

Off my radar...now someone who can make you laugh without swearing is worth my $

Kind regards
    Sheryn

7. our obsession

our obsession Amor est vitae essentia

Media:
    I LOVE Billy!

Thx for heads up on his tour Lizzie, I just love him, doubled over fits, tears streaming laughter, he is the magic, funny storyteller.

Just in honor of him, a warm up in training...Billy and the Old Woman on the Bus..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyW0riD54nY

8. Mr. Fabulous

Mr. Fabulous Thought Criminal

'Now, if you were flying to America and someone said 'F__k' you would... faint. And the plane would fall out the sky.'

I went and saw Billy 18 years ago and it ruled. I have a bunch of his live shows, which I listen to frequently. I would say all combined, over a 1,000 times. I can recite them all, word for word. They still make me laugh. I will be going both nights in Brisbane.

9. redwing

redwing Progress Not Perfection

Media:
    We happened to catch half of Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Edinburgh on the ABC the other night

Laughed so much I couldn't breath at times, apparently its a series so we will tune in for the next show after the houseworks done

The comics featured on the show were great, McIntyre himself, not so much...but then again i needed the pauses to catch my breath

10. Mr. Fabulous

Mr. Fabulous Thought Criminal

Anyone else remember the Incontinence Pants sketch? Funniest sketch ever.

11. our obsession

our obsession Amor est vitae essentia

Media:
    ...and just the personality of the guy, those travel show series he has made, incredibly funny, educational, beautiful, I love the warmth and originality and the eternal, enthusiastic boyishness of him as he visits, 'experiences' and meets.

He went to places and found stuff we never knew existed, and the sheer 'fun' he made, you felt like you were there, on the back of his bike...it's (all of them) one of my all time favorite travel shows, he just has this beautiful personality, kind of like the smile man of the world. If you were around him, you would find it hard not to smile all the time. And hug him for that matter.

I love him.

12. Perp

Perp Member

Media:
    I usually don't like foul language, either, but I love Billy Connolly. He'd still be extremely funny if he didn't swear, and he doesn't swear because he lacks intelligence or doesn't have funny material; it's just his way of speaking. :)

To me, context makes all the difference. Swearing for emphasis, at an appropriate frequency, doesn't bother me, but "conversational swearing" really grates.

I remember years ago I used to work with a guy who'd say things like "I'm f***ing going to lunch, anybody want to come? I'm taking the f***ing van and there's room for, f***, about three more. I'm really f***ing hungry, and Wednesday lunch is usually f***ing unreal, the chef must be gunning for a f***ing promotion or something, f*** he's good."

That was enormously irritating and offensive. He used the word like a filler in his speech... and he was supposedly an educated man. He got on my nerves more than just about anybody else I ever worked with, yet I can listen to Billy Connolly all day and not be bothered in the slightest. :)

13. wylie

wylie Member

Media:
    We saw him years ago, and loved him. Also loved his travel docos on the big bike, frolicking naked amongst the rocks somewhere in Australia. Funny, funny man.

I used to be slightly shocked by the "f" word until I hit about 40 and started using it occasionally myself. Sometimes, it is the only word that fits a situation :D.

Thanks the heads up Lizzie. Hubby's birthday present.... now sorted ;).

14. Sheryn

Sheryn Member

Media:
    Mark
    Over the last 15 years we have gone camping with a large group of people on a regular basis. A few of the fellow campers are great with one liners, skits etc. and are popular, tell a great story. Gee whiz I am married to a guy who is a great storyteller IMHO..

Another guy who camps with us uses 2-3 swear words in every (EVERY) 2 sentences, he has marginalised himself from the group because of his swearing, he is not funny and often tries to imitate Billy C.

YES I have told him to stop swearing etc.....his wife won't come camping with him, his 2 eldest kids are embarrassed by his swearing. I reckon Billy might be his idle.

Now if someone said 'F__k' I would not faint, I would look at them to make sure they hit their thumb or had a 'believable' reason to swear eg. injury or couldn't stop a bleeding in an operation.

On another note...
    Would you like someone swearing with the frequency of Billy when umpiring a kids cricket game? Would you like someone swearing like Billy at an old person's home?

We have different 'Values & beliefs' - I don't value swearing in my immediate space even if it is funny...and I sure as h_ll wouldn't pay to experience swearing.

Now about that plane falling out of the sky....I would be researching which plane companies have bad track records of crashes or trouble with regulatory authorities.

Hardy any swearing at all - great sketch

Regards
    Sheryn

15. dan c

dan c Member

My sister worked as an age care nurse for a while, and the oldies swear like sailors. :D

It's all about context. No, I wouldn't want an cricket umpire to swear in front of kids, but in the context of a live comedy act for adults, who know full well what they are going to hear, then what's the harm?

16. Ausprop

Ausprop Member

Media:
    Swearing or not he just aint funny IMO. I thought everyone else was on the same wave length so am really surprised to see all these accolades

17. jaycee

jaycee Member

Sorry Ausprop, but I'm also one of hem who would have said swearing or not he just IS funny

18. mja

mja Capitalist.

Media:
    Sorry Ausprop, you won't find much support here. Billy Connolly is one funny f**k. :)