Birds Nesting in the wrong place!!

hello all,

i'm looking for any advice/comments on our situation,

i've noticed a couple of birds hanging around outside our house they seem to fly away from a section of our roof whenever i walk outside.

They are indian minahs, so i'm told.

anyway i thought they're building a nest and i best get rid of it, as they are building it in a junction box or header box that takes a heck of a lot of water from our roof and delivers it to drop pipe and drainage as normal,

anyway i get up to have a look on the ladder and no sign of eggs so decide to start taking it out, anyway half way through i notice there is definately eggs about 4 of them,

i think the eggs are probably only a few days old maybe as much as a week or so.

anyway the bird is still around, a pair of them i see at lot, but i think only one of them sits on the eggs, each time i go out she flys away, i'm thinking it must be the mother etc,

so to cut along story short

a) i've removed half the nest before noticing eggs
b) stopped when i saw the eggs and left as is
c) parent still around.

The header/hopper whatever was pretty much full with twigs/leaves etc and is now half full, the main nest is still intact and eggs etc

but we have a dilemma.....

i) if the nest is removed, and placed someplace else, the eggs are likely to be rejected, but i'm no expert.
ii) if we leave as is, the birds should do okay until we get rain and then they will either probably drown or get swept down the downpipe into the surface drainage sewer?

so it seems they are doomed, any comments or advice on what can be done.

i'm led to believe indian minah birds are not native and the council will probably do nothing about it.

it a ppor so not a landlord problem as such

images attached

Attachments

• header box.JPG
    header box.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 62
  • inside box.JPG
    inside box.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 63
  • inside box2.JPG
    inside box2.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 58
I would try and relocate the nest the best i could in a nearby shrub or tree. Or else you could eat the eggs :)
I'd relocate it to the incinerator. But I hate mynahs. :(

They are nearly as filthy as pigeons in your eves and squeeze out native birds. In the North they are considered cane toads of the bird world and they should be eradicated as relentlessly as we should the amphibian .

Kill 'em NOW

so it seems they are doomed, any comments or advice on what can be done.

Yes, they should be doomed:
Common Indian Mynas can be an economic problem because they damage fruit and grain crops and their noise and smell can be annoying where they are in large numbers. Mynas can also spread mites and they have the potential to spread disease to people and domestic animals. Mynas become quite fearless of people if they are not hassled and can be a problem in outdoor eating areas by stealing food off people’s plates. There are a few records of mynas attacking people, but this is not common.

Perhaps the Common Indian Myna’s most serious “crime” is that it competes aggressively with native wildlife for nesting hollows. Common Indian Mynas nest in tree hollows, or places like them, such as holes in roofs. Hollows are in short supply over much of Australia because of clearing for agriculture.

So get rid of the nest & break the eggs - do us all a favour.:D

Aimy

I am in the 'do everybody a favour and get rid of them'. They are an absolute pest and carry lice.

The last time we had to remove a nest my carpenter received a load of lice courtesy of the nesting material.

Cheers

Hi Soren

I used to be with WIRES and India Mynahs are definetly feral, as a member of WIRES they were not birds that would be 'rescued' unless it was in order to euthanise. Sad I know but even worse if you rescued tiny birds before they were old enough to be identified, hand raised them and then had to euthanise once they became recognisable as feral.

Ditch the eggs!

They are a pest, and they gang-murder other birds; seen it happen several times.

Remove nest and eggs, then put a piece of rolled up chicken wire in the space to fill it up. Still lets the rain through.

Back