Bizarre tenant stories

I've seen some very strange behaviours from tenants (and some landlords) over the years but this one is too funny not to share.

A couple of years ago we were managing a tenant in the Southern areas of Adelaide. This lady reported a few different maintenance issues and we proceeded with the usual protocol of calling our maintenance people out to rectify all the reported issues.

To our surprise, she refused access to them. One of the days she said she was sick, another time she forgot the appointment and the time was not convenient for her...

After a few attempts I contacted the landlord and told him that I suspect that she is going to try to pull off a reduction in rent scheme - compensation for maintenance not being done.

she kept complaining that maintenance is not done and kept refusing access.

To reduce the risk of awarding tenant compensation, we sent a legal letter to FORCE access using our office keys. That meant that we were going to enter the premises on a specified day whether she likes it or not. Maintenance will be done that day and refusing access is a breach of lease - end of story!

She had no choice at that stage and our trades people had access for a day to rectify all maintenance issues - oven not working, leaking taps etc... all the things that SHE reported. She was very angry but was unable to do anything about it as then it would have been a breach of lease.

One of the trades people needed to use the toilet while he was there so he did. This was the only thing she had control of as we took control of everything else.

The next day, we got a 10 page email in our office complaining that our trades person used TOO MUCH of her toilet paper and how disappointed she was.

After quickly scanning through the email, I replied back with "I apologies on behalf of our trades person but the consequences of not using enough could have been worse :)"

When she was finally evicted, and she was, I was going to take a 6 pack of toilet paper to the tribunal hearing and give it to her but I was told by my staff that it was being too antagonistic. ;)

This story was published in one of the property magazines, I can't remember which one but the journalist who interviewed me was laughing so hard she could not breath. LOL

Xenia, I think we could trade stories for ages ... :)

We have a tenant apply, approved and then in double quick time fall into arrears. As my PM was concerned about what was going on, I accompanied him to the property.

Knocking on the door, a "thing" answered. Male, in shorts lots of tats, Mohawk haircut, and very few teeth.

After saying who I was, I asked him. To my surprise he gave his name quickly. When I asked who gave him permission to be her, he said Mary O. He has been paying Mary O rent.

I then told him, we have a problem, I don't know who Mary O is, and she has not been paying us rent, so please pack up and move out.

No action, so I called the police. When they arrived, they confirmed my "thing" was just out of jail. After lots of discussions, they agreed to move out, and I agreed for them to return in a couple of days to collect the bulky items.

That night, I thought I would check, and yes saw candle light. Went to police station, and 2 constables came back to the house.

After we went in, and saw drug stuff on the coffee table, who should we find under the bed, Mary O. Odd that the constable knew her name when he saw her. Did she know about the drug stuff on the table, never see it before in her life .... :)

Now 11pm, second eviction occurs.

From what we can decipher, the application was by a person who had "credit" so a person with out "credit" could find a home. It was an old property.

After having left messages for the tenant who applied for the property, without response, we then rang the "next of kin" on the application form who happened to be the applicants mother.

The next day, and envelope with "cash" to cover arrears as well as reinstatement of the property was handed into the office.

I never found out how "thing" or Mary O got on, however we were back to ... "normal" if that's what one can call it ..:)

We sold a $1M house and agreed (didn't have much choice) to put in a tenant before settlement. With only about three weeks to go before settlement, we were told the leasing agent was having trouble getting a tenant in at $950 per week. I asked why they didn't lower the rent, and was told that the purchaser had chosen the asking rent? :mad:

So, we had been getting $850 per week and he wanted $950 per week. I asked why they had taken instruction from the purchaser when he was not party to the leasing agreement. They had no good answer for that.

I only found out they had taken his instruction regarding rent when I was asked if we would allow the tenant who was happy to pay $950 per week to start the lease three weeks hence. I actually said that I didn't care who they found, but please find someone who can take it sooner. Of course, they weren't going to keep working on it, they had a tenant happy to pay the (very) high rent, and she was not prepared to start the lease any earlier.

At this stage, we just wanted it over and done with. We were paying the letting fee, so it was looking like we would get one measly week's rent. This purchaser had signed cash, unconditional to stop the auction, and then decided to change his mind. So, we had been through the wringer by this stage. We had a lawyer calling our lawyer every other day pushing for settlement for our dropkick sibling to get his cash. We needed to settle.

Anyway, it got better. Our (very good) sales agent went on holiday before the tenant was found. The letting agent didn't know the back story and the crap we had gone through with this purchaser trying to back out of the sale. I approved the single lady tenant just to be done with it, at the time the tenant wanted to start. That meant we got a week or two in rent, when had they listed it at $850 per week, we could have let it for maybe six weeks or more before settlement.

The tenant moved in. We got email after email with little picky things. She didn't like the shower head, had bought a new one, and wanted us to reimburse her. She didn't like the noise of the bathroom fan and wanted it replaced (too bad, so sad - not going to happen). She had two new keys cut and wanted the cost reimbursed. I said there was one person on the lease, and she got one set of keys. The agency had several full sets in their office, but the PM didn't seem to know that.

I asked them who approved the other two people apparently now living in the house but never approved by me? No answer to that.

The one fix we agreed to was one light switch that was tripping the power. We figured that was be a reasonable request and a very quick and cheap fix. We arranged for our sparkie to call and fix it. He called and text this fussy tenant eight times. She knew his name, what he was coming for (at HER request). In frustration, he called in without notice, knocked on the door, said he was the electrician who had been leaving messages and was here to fix the switch at her request. She refused to allow him in.

He called me and I told him to forget it. Settlement was a week away by now. I asked the PM to just stop, she would not let the sparkie in, and the new owner could fix it now seeing he had caused us so much grief.

The PM was hassling me. The agent got back from holiday and I told her the story. She told the PM the crap we had been through with this purchaser and the PM realised I wasn't just being an obstructive b!tch but was justified in being extremely peeved with the agency, the purchaser and the tenant.

The agency paid for the shower head and the keys. It was about $50 but by now, I was determined I was NOT paying one cent for this fussy tenant and her stupid demands. At one stage, the PM emailed me that "the tenant doesn't think the new owner should be made to pay for these things"???

I believe we could have caused some issues due to the PM taking instructions from the purchaser when he was not party to the agreement. The agency principal was brought into it, and I guess his offer to pay for the shower head and the keys was the least he could do, and I'm sure he was hoping we would not kick up a stink about the appalling service we received, and the weeks of rent we lost due to them offering such high rent without our authorisation.

Last edited:
Peterw - LOL

Wylie - great that the agent decided to play peace keeper in that story.

OK one more:

A long time ago when our agency first started we had a very difficult to rent, run down property. We received one single application from a Thai migrant who was not able to speak English. She had an interpreter with her. The landlord wanted to give her a go so we signed a lease with her.

All was going well, rent paid on time and inspections were always good, house well kept.

One day we sent out a trades person to fix a broken cupboard. He knocked on the door and the lady answered and said "Oh mr (something) you are here for your appointment follow me" she led him to a bedroom and closed the door. He looked at her and said "I am the repair man from alexa real estate to fix your cupboard" she was shocked and said, oh sorry, oh sorry and led him out of the room to the cupboard.

LOL

The end result of this - landlord wanted to increase the rent on this property!

I have written before about my tenant who refused to report faults. I really don't understand this because she was paying rent so really should enjoy a trouble free house. Anyway, I found out that the hot water system had been switching off and she had been going out to restart it even late at night in the cold of winter. I only found out because her dad was staying there and report it. I had it fixed within 30 minutes of the fault being reported. I also found out that the drain in the shower had not been working and she had been turning off the shower part of the way through showers to let the water drain, and standing there freezing cold while the water drained :eek: Thanks dad for reporting that too. Got it fixed the next day.

There was a bunch of other stuff too. For some fault that she did report, she would not allow access for trades. At the end of the tenancy I took her to the tribunal. I didn't get very far though even with photographic evidence.

Now every time I hear someone say "people act in their own interests" I want to punch them! :D

My PM received an application this week to rent one of my IPs and they have a pet snake. They assured the PM that it's licensed etc. She wasn't even sure if you do a petbond for a snake :)

My PM received an application this week to rent one of my IPs and they have a pet snake. They assured the PM that it's licensed etc. She wasn't even sure if you do a petbond for a snake :)

Had a tenant with snakes, no worries whatsoever as they live in a large glass fishtank, better than fish because you don't have all that weight of water.
Better than dogs and cats because you don't get fleas, scratched floorboards, damaged carpet or screens, no holes in yard or nasty surprises to step in.

Had a tenant with snakes, no worries whatsoever as they live in a large glass fishtank, better than fish because you don't have all that weight of water.
Better than dogs and cats because you don't get fleas, scratched floorboards, damaged carpet or screens, no holes in yard or nasty surprises to step in.

Correct. I thought Jake (that's the snake's name) would be an awesome pet. He probably guards the Meth stash in the tank but .........

LOL - My son has a python called Jake!
Snakes are the best pets ever, they are fed once a week, they are not needy or clingy or licky or need to be bathed.

Adults can go for a year without food and survive so when we are on holidays, my brother takes care of the cats and dog but the snake is happy to wait a couple of weeks until we get back.

From a rental view point - they do not pose a threat to the property because they are in a tank.
Pet leases should always be signed however.

The only possible risk is if they get out, they are awesome at hiding and because they do not need to come out to eat or drink, can stay in one spot hidden for months. We lost ours for 3 months and finally found it on top of it's tank. They are harder to find in summer, in winter they tend to look for warmer spots - heaters etc.

If they get out of a rental property and it's at the end of the lease, the tenants better find it before they leave :)

There was a bunch of other stuff too. For some fault that she did report, she would not allow access for trades. At the end of the tenancy I took her to the tribunal. I didn't get very far though even with photographic evidence.

I see these kinds of tenants a lot. Sometimes I think that if all their issues were solved then they would have nothing to complain about and no sympathy to gain so they need to keep it bad...

I see these kinds of tenants a lot. Sometimes I think that if all their issues were solved then they would have nothing to complain about and no sympathy to gain so they need to keep it bad...
Personally, I find it stupid to pay to live in slum like conditions but each to their own I guess.

That tenant was the second to try it. The first was in Melbourne and made many complaints in writing. I would then ask in writing if she wanted them fixed and she always said no... in writing. At the end of the tenancy, when she took me to the tribunal complaining about things not working, I just produced copies of the emails where she told me not to fix them. "Broken" items included oven, toilet, heater and air-con. Of course at the final inspection I found out they were all working perfectly after all. I also produced evidence of that at the tribunal and at least got half the bond back.

I have only ever had these two bad tenants. All the other tenants I have ever had have been brilliant!

Hahaha ive got so many. I was helping a friend put a split cycle in one of my ips and my tenant(rough looking guy/bogan always pays on time though) answers the door holding toilet paper on his nose. After about an hour he is watching us still with the toilet paper. we ask what happens and he says he got into a fight at train station the previous night. I finish all I was needed to do in the meantime he has been going to the bathroom for more toilet paper. Anyway i say goodbye and shake his hand. He lowers the toilet paper and is missing about 1/3 of his nose. I almost fainted. Missing!!! not even skin hanging off. Had another tenant leave and asked if he could take the lights with him and he would replace them with "cheap Asian lights" because "You cant get lights imported from Germany like these in this day an age".

Correct. I thought Jake (that's the snake's name) would be an awesome pet. He probably guards the Meth stash in the tank but .........

Haha. Gotta love stereotypes.
Reptiles when properly licensed and well looked after are the best pets - don't make any noise or excessive smell, don't shed hair on the furniture, and don't damage the place.

My favourite one;

I was heavily pregnant and conducting a Routine Inspection at a nearby property to our office. We do the usual protocol; correct notice, a text message the day before to remind the tenant.

When I arrived, I knocked and waited. No answer. So I opened the door with our office keys and was calling out "Hello! It's Kathryn from X here to do your Routine Inspection. Hello!" No answer so I continued on assuming nobody was home.

When I ventured down the hallway, the master bedroom was at the back of a house with an ensuite. As I've turned in to the hallway, standing in front of me was a naked Frenchman in his 50's dripping wet from the shower (that I couldn't hear). He didn't seem shocked but he did seem pleased to see my heavily pregnant belly.

So there I am standing in the hallway, apologising profusely and there he is rubbing my belly saying "Oh, you are having a baby. Oh a baby. Hello baby!"

Next minute, his wife and his mother walk in (also French) and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid about the situation. But they join in on the belly rubbing and unborn baby greeting.

It was so awkward. I felt like I was a part of a weird foreign French film that you find on SBS late at night. After this point, I would always call beforehand and let them know that I'm on my way.

My other favourite was doing another Routine Inspection at another property and they must have forgot I was coming. Nobody was home but on the Master Bed was a whole lot of 'Adult Toys' and set up facing the bed was a video camera on a tripod to catch the 'action.'

It was so tempting to record myself saying "Hi Guys, property looks great! Keep it up." But I resisted the urge in case I ended up on the internet. Ha ha.

Some people may just not be aware of their entitlements.

When I first rented - in my late 20's after a relationship breakup - I did any maintenance on the property myself and even rehung the screen door after it fell off.

I had no idea that the landlord was responsible and all I had to do was ring the PM.

Some people may just not be aware of their entitlements.

When I first rented - in my late 20's after a relationship breakup - I did any maintenance on the property myself and even rehung the screen door after it fell off.

I had no idea that the landlord was responsible and all I had to do was ring the PM.

Hi Lizzy
You were every property managers dream tenant, even if it was due to lack of knowledge. LOL
Are you now re-hanging doors in your own properties ;)

My favourite one;

I was heavily pregnant and conducting a Routine Inspection at a nearby property to our office. We do the usual protocol; correct notice, a text message the day before to remind the tenant.

When I arrived, I knocked and waited. No answer. So I opened the door with our office keys and was calling out "Hello! It's Kathryn from X here to do your Routine Inspection. Hello!" No answer so I continued on assuming nobody was home.

When I ventured down the hallway, the master bedroom was at the back of a house with an ensuite. As I've turned in to the hallway, standing in front of me was a naked Frenchman in his 50's dripping wet from the shower (that I couldn't hear). He didn't seem shocked but he did seem pleased to see my heavily pregnant belly.

So there I am standing in the hallway, apologising profusely and there he is rubbing my belly saying "Oh, you are having a baby. Oh a baby. Hello baby!"

Next minute, his wife and his mother walk in (also French) and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid about the situation. But they join in on the belly rubbing and unborn baby greeting.

It was so awkward. I felt like I was a part of a weird foreign French film that you find on SBS late at night. After this point, I would always call beforehand and let them know that I'm on my way.

My other favourite was doing another Routine Inspection at another property and they must have forgot I was coming. Nobody was home but on the Master Bed was a whole lot of 'Adult Toys' and set up facing the bed was a video camera on a tripod to catch the 'action.'

It was so tempting to record myself saying "Hi Guys, property looks great! Keep it up." But I resisted the urge in case I ended up on the internet. Ha ha.

These made me laugh a lot - hope you took pics of the toys for routine inspection photos - the landlord might have gotten a laugh out of it. Although you need to pick the ones you can joke like that with.

I've also had a man answer the door completely naked - that moment when you just have to think on your feet and handle the situation. LOL.
The property was so much more interesting than he was ;)

Back