Blacktown Council Help Please

So we are in the process of putting up a garden shed/garage (won't be used as a garage though).
We are on a battleaxe block and have started work on the slab. Didn't get council approval as I thought it came under the SEPP.
A neighbour has complained to council twice now about what we are doing.
I have assured council that it fell under SEPP twice. Well turns out I was wrong, its over the 20m2 allowed.
I have been online and the SEPP site directed me to lodge an application for Complying development, the question is do I lodge it through the system, I think it goes straight to council or will it be easier getting a private certifier.
If private is the way to go, can you suggest anyone local that you have used?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No, unfortunately that won't work.
I think we can get approved as a complying development, just not sure if we should use council ( after already misleading them twice) or use a private certified.
Thanks for the response though.

What will the 'garage/shed' be used for, if it's not used for it's intended purpose?
Garage/shed is a class 10a, a studio/bedroom is a class 1a. Approval is quiet different for both.

A shed should be straight forward. Have a go your self through council, they will still charge you the same fees if started from scratch, they'll just need to catch up on inspections.
How much over the m2 is it?

The problem will be the neighbour though, post of the da is to notify neighbors. Does it have any serious impact on them?

Shed size is 28m2.
According to the fact sheets I don't have to notify neighbors if it's a shed. There is so much info to go through, I know they think they have made it easier but I'm just getting more confused.
The block is sloping a bit so I have laid blocks, filled them with cement and back filled the area ready for a slab. No slab yet, what's the worst council can do if I lodge the complying development request now? I haven't really done anything yet.

You haven't really started yet, well anything substantial. Go to the council website and start the ball rolling. Sounds like your neighbour is a great guy!

Go through the motions as if you have just started, forget the rest.
Council just want the cash

So we are in the process of putting up a garden shed/garage (won't be used as a garage though).
We are on a battleaxe block and have started work on the slab. Didn't get council approval as I thought it came under the SEPP.
A neighbour has complained to council twice now about what we are doing.
I have assured council that it fell under SEPP twice. Well turns out I was wrong, its over the 20m2 allowed.
I have been online and the SEPP site directed me to lodge an application for Complying development, the question is do I lodge it through the system, I think it goes straight to council or will it be easier getting a private certifier.
If private is the way to go, can you suggest anyone local that you have used?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

In relation to a Private Certifier, YES

Definitely, and with BCC, YES, again!

I have heard of many people getting their Granny Flats knocked back by submitting directly to Council. A private certifier is a better alternative.

If you are trying to build something under SEPP (Affordable Housing). It will need to be properly built, eg, by a Registered Builder, or you will need to do a Home Owners Builders Course, if you want to do it yourself. Councils will not approve anything (Private Certifier or not) unless it adheres to the BCA Building Code of Australia. Contact a Private Certifier, and ask questions to confirm.

CDC also attracts large Council Fees.

If you are going down for just a Garage, Keep to a 6m x 3m (single size) and build an under roof carport, That should keep you out of trouble according to council. (If Council are interested in enclosed Living Space). I have seen people install an "enclosed" room wall with pull up perspex windows. To increase living size (not that I ever advise or advocate anything without council permission first!)

Back