Blast from the past

Last night the good wife and I went out on a date...

to see "Tears for Fears" and "Spandau Ballet" in concert at the Rod Laver Arena.

It was quite weird to be at a concert where everyone was over 30.

Well; it was bloody fantastic; they played all their hits, sounded exactly the same as 25 years ago.

Tony Hadley was truly brilliant; his voice as strong as ever and they really enjoyed themselves, the crowd and the energy was awesome.

Of course, they did their encore with "GOLD!"

Well done boys; great night.

Did anyone else go?

Cop this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU

Everybody wants to rule the world.

What were other Tears for Fears songs ?

I feel the 80's werent that amazingly better (except than some of the pop of today) but I get an amazing feeling sometimes whenI hear the song,

it hasn't really been 25 years surely ?

'True' was / is a great song also in my opinion

What were other Tears for Fears songs ?
Shout.

I feel lucky to have 'got into' a band (yes, it's KISS, lol) that have lasted through the 70's to present and still going strong.

Marc, not personally seeing SB but friends are going.

Regards
Marty

Of course it was ! how'd I forget that, about 1985 also ? I just had a flashback of walking up the stairs towards English class !

Shout.

I feel lucky to have 'got into' a band (yes, it's KISS, lol) that have lasted through the 70's to present and still going strong.

Marc, not personally seeing SB but friends are going.

Regards
Marty

Marty,

A very werid encounter.

I was travelling on the Rocky Mountaineer last year in the Rocky Mountains, and met a Pom / American who is pretty good on the lead guitar. We were talking for a bit, and for some reason, the subject of Kiss came up. He looked at his wife and then back at me, and said that he used to be in a band that Ace Freeley sometimes plays with. To back it up, he told me to do a search on You tube. When I got off the train, did a search, and there you have this bloke playing alongside the Ace. It was precent recent stuff too I think.

Pretty weird!!

F

Marty,

A very werid encounter.

I was travelling on the Rocky Mountaineer last year in the Rocky Mountains, and met a Pom / American who is pretty good on the lead guitar. We were talking for a bit, and for some reason, the subject of Kiss came up. He looked at his wife and then back at me, and said that he used to be in a band that Ace Freeley sometimes plays with. To back it up, he told me to do a search on You tube. When I got off the train, did a search, and there you have this bloke playing alongside the Ace. It was precent recent stuff too I think.

Pretty weird!!

F
Very nice.

Never know who you'll bump into, even while mountaineering :).

Saw Ace Frehley playing recently here in Oz. The guitarist in question may have been in his band.

Regards
Marty

omg - tears for fears was the first band i ever went and saw!

i think the music from the 80's was amazing - had soul and passion and dynamics. not like the weird whispery/computer generated stuff of nowadays that is all about the glitz and costumes.

wasn't really into spandau - although liked their songs. duran duran was my "thing"! ooooo - simon le bon .... nick rhodes ...

I saw Spandau ballet in 85 at Festival hall in Brissie. It was my first ever concert. Loved it! I loved the 80's music more than toay's stuff....must be gettin' old:(

I liked some of the Duran Duran stuff too Lizzie.. just went and downloaded "View to a Kill" on You Tube.. great song..:). Loved a lot of the 70's stuff too.

First concert I ever went to?... U2 (coincidently... also the last concert I ever went to :()

I grew up in the 80's but we hardly ever watched Video Hits (didn't watch TV on a Sunday as I recall) and Countdown was before my time. I used to stay up with torch and tape recorder trying to tape songs from the Top 40 with Barry Bissell. Ofcourse the best songs were played last and by 9.30pm I was usually asleep.

What I did grow up with was Mum and Dad's old records and they were quite a mix. I still love Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, Hot Chocolate, The Beach Boys, Abba, David Bowie, Simon and Garfunkal, Bruce Springsteen, Nana Mouskari (spell?)... I'm mentally flicking through that old record box as I type this.

I love watching my kids when I play them something they haven't heard. Music is such a gift isn't it?

Back