Block of 3 2BR units - thoughts?

Whooooo! I just got excited for you :) congratulations! Thats really, really good and I hope to be in your position one day soon.

80% LVR is good if you ask me, that means you're leveraging well and still have a decent buffer if needed.

A quick update on this.

The units finally settle tomorrow. What took so long? Well, the building report showed structral problems. So I contacted the agent, said all wasn't well, and suggested we have a chat. I offered to renegotiate the price on the basis of the problems, and ended up getting another $13k off the price. The quote to fix everything up by my builder is $8k, so I have some contingency.

The plan now is to renovate 2 of the units (the thrid has a tenant), and hopefully get tenants in by end of Feb.

I'm really happy with this pruchase. Despite the mucking around and hassle, I reckon I got a bargain.

Congrats on the purchase! Would be interested to hear abouts the details after you've settled......I still keep a constant eye on the place -wouldn't mind buying another unit to renovate after the fun we had with the first one.

Cheers,

Jamie

congats on getting the deal done and negotiating a better price at the end of the day.
instead of kicking 2 tenants out why not kick 1 out and reno that one then shift the other tenant into that and reno the next one and then you still have cash coming in and at the end of the day you only have to find one new tenant and pay one lot of fees to the leasing agent.

I am new on this forum so hopefully this first post works.

The place came with one tenant already in place (who's staying), and two of the units are empty. We're going to do the structural work and renovations simultaneously, hopefully over about a 4 week period.

Well done VYBV8. You won't regret your purchase (unless you paid too much that is).

I bought a couple of "flocks of bats" years ago. They have been terrific renters over the years. Never vacant and very few problems, given the target demographic.

What I really like is not having to answer to bodycorps or other PITA owners. You wanna do something to improve them, just do it. Easy.

They are getting very hard to find these days and expensive, compared to what they once were, so a good set is like gold.

I think that is due to todays building regulations- open space etc. doesn't allow you build small FOBs as readily as they did in the 1960s/70s. Also i'd guess that many who have them, hold them for life.

Again, well done.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's really heartening!

Picked the keys up today, and will have a look around tomorrow. The existing tenant is now signed to a lease and appropriately bonded, so now just have to get the reno's sorted and we'll be ready to go.

Oh, and whoever recommended Maxwell & Co in Queanbeyan (I read it here somewhere) - thanks heaps, they've been great.

Well, builder is now on site, and demolition of existing bathrooms starts today! The new carpet has been chosen, and the tiles are being chosen today. The painter will look at the tiles and carpert and choose a light paint shade.

At this stage, I'm hoping the reno will take 2-3 weeks.

Stand by for more updates...:)

Well, builder is now on site, and demolition of existing bathrooms starts today! The new carpet has been chosen, and the tiles are being chosen today. The painter will look at the tiles and carpert and choose a light paint shade.

At this stage, I'm hoping the reno will take 2-3 weeks.

Stand by for more updates...:)
Whats the reno budget and how many Units are you renoing at this stage?!
Interested to know what the IRR (Internal Rate of Return) of the reno would be. As you would have already considered, leaving them as is and recieving a slightly smaller rent would be a better return for your $

Whats the reno budget and how many Units are you renoing at this stage?!
Interested to know what the IRR (Internal Rate of Return) of the reno would be. As you would have already considered, leaving them as is and recieving a slightly smaller rent would be a better return for your $

The reno budget is:
1) $8-10k total to do the structural work that needs doing anyway (negotiated $13k off the price of the whole block on this basis).
2) $10k per unit, which includes complete strip, reseal and tile of bathrooms and new bathroom furniture, repaint of interior, replacement of carpet. The kitchens are in good condition.

At present we are doing the structural work plus 2 units, although the tenant in the other unit has indicated that they would like to move into a renovated unit, so I said 'up the rent by 30 bucks a week and do all the mowing and you can'. If they choose to take this option, we will then renovate the third unit.

The units unrenovated get $250 a week in rent. We (as in the managing agent and I) expect to get $300 a week for the renovated units. If we don't include the structural work ($8-10k, which had to be done anyway and was taken off the price with some risk contingency), we have a situation where spending $10,000 per unit improves the weekly rent by $50.

Simplistically, then, $50 per week multiplied by 52 weeks = $2600, for $10,000 outlay. In percentage terms, the return on the renovating dollars is therefore 26% p.a., and growing as rents increase.

Of course, I don't know if this is how you actually calculate IRR, but to my way of thinking, adding $2600 per year for $10k outlay seems worth it. Also, the value of the property should increase significantly (by perhaps $20-30k per unit, I think).

If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear 'em!

Looks like the tenants won't be moving into a renovated unit, but will stay where they are. That should mean our renos will be finished about the 3rd week in Feb.

well, it looks like we are on track for renovations to be completed by the end of next week. We already have people wanting to rent, so looks like we should get tenants in fairly quickly.

Woo hoo!

Back