Bloody *@#^?~% Windows

Hey out there, just wondering if anyone can help?

I know this is a Property forum, but I just dont know where else to ask. I have a software problem.

I'm running Win98, PIII 733mhz, 10GB HDD (3.5 used so plenty of room), 127mb ram. Running perfectly until . . .

I installed MSOffice XP. Now it runs like a dog.

Is the problem that Office XP has too much grunt for Win98 deal with ?, Should I just update to WinXP? and throw in some extra RAM, while I'm at it? or are there some other issues here making life difficult ?

Any help appreciated

Pedro

My first option would be add extra RAM, you will need to anyway at some stage. Even 128mb ram is low these days, so that may help you run faster.

My system has Win 98 on one Hard Drive, and XP on another, so I can boot from either system. For some reason Win98 runs faster! But I don't know why. I have 256mb RAM.

WinXP doesn't really start performing until it's got at least 512MB RAM... and if you are running some serious applications too, then 1GB RAM is sweeter.

Originally posted by Sim
WinXP doesn't really start performing until it's got at least 512MB RAM... and if you are running some serious applications too, then 1GB RAM is sweeter.
May be- but the question was Office XP on Win 98.

I've had no experience on that- what's your knowledge on that Sim?

yep 128mb ram sounds very low for xp, I used to find it ran ok with 256mb, but I think 128 would definately be too low. Ram is pretty cheap to buy at the moment you should be able to take it to 256mb for under $40 I would guess if you are able to install it yourself.

Thanks for all the RAM advice guys. I probably will give it a boost.

But, as GeoffW mentioned, the crux of the posting is:

Can Win98 handle Office XP or not ? :confused:

Thanks everyone

Pedro

Hi,

I concur with most of the other ppl here re: RAM.

However, to actually answer the question that was asked by Pedro, i've had mixed experiences with Office XP and Windows 98 getting along. I currently use Windows 98 and Office 2000 with absolutely no problems at all, perhaps you could either try this instead or try some extra RAM.

-Regards

Dave

Abcdiamond: Windows 98 will run faster then Windows XP because there is less instructions that computer needs to process and load.

Sim: Your right, Windows XP needs about 512MB to get the most out of it, this is also dependant on the speed of your CPU. The slower you CPU and Hard Drive are, the more RAM that is required, to a certain point anyway.

Pedro61: Windows 98 can handle Office XP

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop?

Mark
I've just increased my Folders limit from 400 to 1000, and now have a massive speed boost to XP Pro..
I also checked my Ram, and I actually have 512mb, I'd forgotten that I had upgraded it.

128Mb is enough for win98, the problem is Microsoft (in general)
To help speed up your computer again, follow these instructions:
click on start button -> programs -> start up
now delete anything related to office or microsoft and the fast find thing (it is MS spyware and doesn't help in searching), these start up items slow down your wholu computer but speed up starting MS applications, basically it makes any non-MS application seem slow, tricky marketing trick. Don't worry it doesn't delete the programs just it stops loading half of the program into memory, better to load it only when you need it.

Hi LeperMessiah,

I have win98SE and thought I would follow up your suggestion.

When I right click on "office" in the startup section it asks me do I want to send office to the recycle bin.

If I say yes and it deletes from startup, will I still have the icons on my desktop for when I want to use win office?

yes, know I am a PC dummy :confused:

Yes you will still have the icons on the desktop. Deleting the icon from the startup section does not delete or uninstall the program. In this case, all it will do is remove the Office startup program and prevent it from starting automatically, but still allow you to start Office yourself as you always did (using those icons on the deskop or elsewhere) - it just might take slightly longer.

abc diamond,
I've just increased my Folders limit from 400 to 1000, and now have a massive speed boost to XP Pro..
Can you please elaborate on this and tell me how I can do this? I have a big problem with the music I have stored on my computer in that the lousy bloody folders keep switching around from the way I have them set up. I usually have them set up using details (running XP) but they always seem to go back to say, 'Icon' or 'Thumbnail' it's quite frustrating.
Does anyone know any nifty little tweaks that will enable me to keep my folders set up the way I like them?

Mark, try this:
1. Set up the folder just as you want it.
2. From the Tools drop down menu, select 'Folder Options".
3. Click to 'View' tab.
4. Click on the 'Apply to all folders' button.

Next time you open up a folder, it should be the way you set it up.

Cheers,

Nick

Back