Boarding at my parents - How much to pay weekly ?

Sorry to hear about this. If you want to talk feel free to PM me, I have been going thru something similar. Quick query though, why is therapy so expensive? My GP referred me to a counselling psychologist who bulk bills. I'm very lucky that I don't have to pay for any of my visits (and I have been going to see him since 2009). The medication (as prescribed my my gp) is not free though but only $14 per month on a generic brand......

Are your parents part of the reason why you need to go to therapy? If so I would definitely not recommend moving in with them. Even if they are not the main reason you never know if there is some underlying reason in which they stress you out. How much of a buffer do you have left at the moment? You don't need to do anything drastic while you have access to the 10 visits for $57 right?

Surely moving house twice will cost you more than the $570 you are short for 10 sessions? IMO, you should stay where you are, cut down on spending by $10 a week and weather out the therapy storm. If you can't cut down expenses any more for some reason, take your parent's offer to pay for your therapy and pay them back later when you're financially better off.

I reckon it would depend totally on what those reasons are.

If the reason is to assist yourself, then an amount like you indicate.

If the reason is to assist them, then a lower amount would be appropriate.

I like reading your replies, Dazz.

You always make a real lot of sense.

:)

Aren't you a government employee? Do they pay for free counselling sessions?

If you do not think you can cope moving back with your parents and your feeling delicate now, then no way should you, buckle up your belt then so you can afford therapy, where there is a will there is a way, difficult as it may be.

Quick query though, why is therapy so expensive? My GP referred me to a counselling psychologist who bulk bills. I'm very lucky that I don't have to pay for any of my visits (and I have been going to see him since 2009). The medication (as prescribed my my gp) is not free though but only $14 per month on a generic brand......

Are your parents part of the reason why you need to go to therapy? If so I would definitely not recommend moving in with them. Even if they are not the main reason you never know if there is some underlying reason in which they stress you out. How much of a buffer do you have left at the moment? You don't need to do anything drastic while you have access to the 10 visits for $57 right?

Surely moving house twice will cost you more than the $570 you are short for 10 sessions? IMO, you should stay where you are, cut down on spending by $10 a week and weather out the therapy storm. If you can't cut down expenses any more for some reason, take your parent's offer to pay for your therapy and pay them back later when you're financially better off.

Hi
you've deleted your post before i had a chance to respond... but both of these posts had good suggestions, particularly homepage...it sounds like moving is just going to add to stress levels.
are your services being coordinated. it would be good to get a case manager to coordinate services,funding etc. they could help sort thru decisions.
good luck with it all... very difficult situation for you

I was going to suggest working out a payment plan with your psychologist (most would be happy to do this), but then thought about the bigger picture; what happens if you need a new hot water service (cost in excess of 1K) or if tenants falls behind in rent?

Has your financial situation deteriorated as you've become unwell?

If this is the case then things should improve in time. If not, it could be your poor financial situation that has destabilized you, in which case you should be looking at a more permanent solution to the bigger problem (on the financial side that is).

I agree with what others have said re housework etc. Pay your parents whatever they're happy with plus the guilt money but focus more on not being a drain on their lifestyle ie do the cooking, shopping and housework so poor mum/dad doesn't have extra on their plate looking after you. And definately take them out to dinner or shout them to a night out as a thank you.

Quick query though, why is therapy so expensive?

Heaps of reasons....

1. Ever seen someone ask a medico of any sort for a quote ??

2. Ever seen a medico of any sort submit a tender for the client's consideration, prior to entering into a binding contract ??

3. Ever seen anyone ask a medico of any sort what the total cost is likely to be prior to receiving their services ??

4. Even if the answer to # 3 is yes, ever seen anyone successfully negotiate the price downwards ??

5. Ever seen where medico's of any sort decide to reside. It ain't any of the KGB suburbs (Koondoola / Girrawheen / Balga) or other city's equivalent.

6. Ever spoken to student medico's of any sort whilst they grind their way thru Uni.....they ain't swimming thru all those nonsense over all those years so they can make average money.

In short, this is a business that smart folk in the past have very cleverly colluded together, protected by organisation's for the member's benefit, for the ultimate goal of positioning the provider as a price maker, not a price taker.

It's almost the exact opposite of what a farmer has to put up with. But I digress, back to the how much question....

I'm aware there are a variety of reasons behind therapists' charges but I was trying to ask why Alex's one was so expensive. (She has since deleted her post so my reply sounds a bit out of context) The one I see in Sydney bulk-bills and I know a few others in Sydney who also see psychologists - all bulk-billed. Perhaps we are the lucky ones, didn't know Perth medical bills could be so much higher.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I shouldn't get so worked up before knowing all the facts. I'll go see my doc and see if there might be some other options. I'll also talk to mum and see if she can come up with an idea

At work we have access to 6 free sessions per year. Pity its not more than this, but maybe if I talk to my supervisor I can find out if I can have more.

I'm aware there are a variety of reasons behind therapists' charges but I was trying to ask why Alex's one was so expensive. (She has since deleted her post so my reply sounds a bit out of context) The one I see in Sydney bulk-bills and I know a few others in Sydney who also see psychologists - all bulk-billed. Perhaps we are the lucky ones, didn't know Perth medical bills could be so much higher.

I think it depends on what kind of therapist you see as to how expensive. ie their specialty

I am so relieved. phew! I just rang HR and explained my situation and found out I may be able to have as many sessions as I want. I need to firstly book an appointment with one of my works providers.

wooohooo free sessions. :)

Same with Italian families (and i guess most Europeans). The dont charge the kids board. Its a way of helping the kids get ahead, as long they save or invest the money they would be charged, which they mostly do.

They just dont understand parents charging kids. famiglia è la famiglia

be asian. $0 per week will get you a lifetime of being able to stay with your folks if circumstances dictate in return for you doing the same for them as well as your kids in the future

i struggle with the concept of working out how much you're "put out "by the kids and charging accordingly

we spent 2 periods of 2 yrs at a time living with my grandparents when i was yhoung cos dad was trying to establish a business and money was very tight. in grandparents retirement we have always contributing for their living expenses, holidays etc. what goes around comes around, how can family be a business transaction??

my grandparents even housed various nephews and nieces back in the 60s in singapore who came from malaysia, india etc to study. i know we're all investors/developers and naturally money is important but for me family > money

Last edited:
That is great news ... but take as many as you "need" rather than "want" ;)

The Public Service is the best place to be if you are pregnant or have some sort of physical/mental disability. They pay you to come to work and get pampered, and they even pay you when you're not there.

When I used to work in public service, you'd see these early 30s women join up, then 1 month later you find they're pregnant...

Quick query though, why is therapy so expensive? My GP referred me to a counselling psychologist who bulk bills. I'm very lucky that I don't have to pay for any of my visits ?

My wife is a psychologist, and she says the Aust Psychological Society recommend billing $200 per hour.

In her circle of colleagues, some bulk bill, some offer limited bulk billing, some charge $170 an hour, some $200 and some over $200.

Like any industry, fees vary due to a number of reasons. And to answer another question, yes, people do ask about the fees before booking.

At the monent patients can get 12 medicare funded sessions per calendar year (plus a further six if deemed necessary). This is reducing to ten shortly (it actually may have already.)

The Public Service is the best place to be if you are pregnant or have some sort of physical/mental disability. They pay you to come to work and get pampered, and they even pay you when you're not there.

There will always be those who abuse the system ... but that is not to negate those with genuine need.

The public service - although can appear cushy - has to lead employee care standards by example, which is why they "get" benefits long before it becomes norm in the private sector.

Back