Boarding Houses/Student Houses

...for example with a gf internal conversion you need to fire rate dividing walls, is this required for leasing individual bedrooms? Say you find an old fibro place near a uni in Syd and lease to 3 or 4 students??? Fire rating required or not?

Yes you'd need fire-rating between them. e.g. 2x attached 30 sq m self-contained units are allowed. Ive never done it but the SEPP seems to say it's ok. See below:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N
Note. Principal and secondary dwellings will be classified as class 1a or class 2 under the Building Code of Australia depending on the configuration of those dwellings

CLASS 2 DWELLING: A building containing 2 or more sole-occupancy units each being a separate dwelling.

The only reasomn to do this of course is for student accomodation with more than 1 kitchen.

The only reasomn to do this of course is for student accomodation with more than 1 kitchen.

So... separate dwellings equals fully self contained equals separate kitchen and bathroom. So if you build or renovate with multi rooms each with ensuite but all share a kitchen then no need to fire rate?

Any idea on old existing properties with multiple units inside? Do they need to be converted to be safe with insurance etc (ie in event of fire)?

Sounds like rent by the room beats separate dwellings in terms of ease and approval and construction cost.

So... separate dwellings equals fully self contained equals separate kitchen and bathroom. So if you build or renovate with multi rooms each with ensuite but all share a kitchen then no need to fire rate?

Not exactly. You'll still need fire rating between the 2 dwellings. Granny flats need to be either:
A. 1.8m away from the main dwelling (measured wall-to-wall) OR
B A fire rated wall between main dwelling and granny flat if separating distance is <1800mm.

The BCA requires adequate fire resistance between dwellings of 900mm each (1.8 mtrs); otherwise a fire-wall is needed on one of the dwellings.
Also note, any eaves/fascia must also be a min. 900mm from each other (i.e. 450mm each); otherwise a fire-resistant material must be used. Contrary to popular belief, Colorbond or any other alloy is not cosidered a fire resistant material uner the BCA.

Brazen.

So is there state legislation regarding separate tenancies for all of NSW or is it governed on council by council basis?

Rooming houses (the correct term) fall under state law but are regulated by councils I believe. So you wish to register one you have to comply with state law but go to local council to get it approved (if I'm not mistaken)

When I was looking at houses in Logan area there was one with a group of 7 men renting (refugees). They were paying by room and bills were included. The agent told me that if you keep it under a certain number (?) it is classed as friends sharing and you don't need to get a multi unit dwelling approved. Not sure how correct this was but we decided against the purchase anyway.
You could call council and see what the exact number is :D

Rooming House is the term used in Vic. Boarding House in NSW and QLD. Don't know about other states. From 30 June Fair Trading has taken over NSW registration with Boarding House Act 2012 and I think same thing for QLD but council will still do the inspection.

It appears the threshold for "unrelated guest" varies for every council/State.

Is the threshold applicable to the total number for House + Granny Flat?

For example, if the threshold for unrelated guest is 4. Can I have 4 guest in House and 2 guest in the Granny Flat, so total 6 in the property?

They were affordable housing approvals.
They'res no limit on bedrooms or bathrooms, just kitchens (1).
Desks go to the end and side of the beds...of course!

Brazen.

I am having 6 rooms in the main house, 4 rented out. I am seeking the approval for a granny flat 3 bed rooms. is it ok in legislation perspective or not?

Am I a boarding house? Do you have any policy about this in NSW? I am under Ashfield Council.

Thanks for your help

Back