Body Corp Continuous Issues

I've owned a townhouse in QLD for about 8 months now and I am on the Committee of the Body Corp. When I bought it, the body corp was managed by one of the owners, but was transitioned to a reputable Strata Management company shortly after. It's being run well now but I think the previous manager had no idea.

During this time I've owned it, it seems as though every 2-3 weeks a new issue is being found (guttering, firewalls, minor termite damage etc). On some occasions, we fix an issue for say unit 3, and then unit 5 will notify us they have the same issue which they want rectified.

I need to check what's left in the sinking fund but it must be getting low (I can't even keep track of all the current repairs - I get an email at least once a week).

I was thinking of suggesting to the Body Corp that we get a full audit on the whole complex so that we can:
- Identify all the issues which need to be rectified in the coming years
- Prioritise the order in which they need to be fixed
- Budget for these issues, and adjust our sinking fund contributions at the next AGM

It might also scare some of the other owners into selling me their units on the cheap ;)

It seems like this would be a better approach than having issues being identified randomly, and then fixing them, and then having to get tradies out to fix the same issue with another unit etc etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Not sure about Qld, however in NSW the strata manager is required to prepare a 10 year facilities management plan (ie maintenance plan & budget). This lists the works expected in each of the 10 years & the budget eg. yr 1 & yr 8 exterior painting, yearly lawn mowing, gutter clearing, garbage bin cleaning, exterior window washing, yr 4 replace window seals, yr 5 gutter replacement, yr 7 install new roller shutters, concrete cancer repairs etc. Each line item would have a budget.

This then puts all owners on notice as to when special levies are to be raised or better yet, that the levies are increased to cover the budgeted expenditure without the need to raise special levies.

Cheers, my Sydney properties have similar budget plans.

Is anyone here familiar with the laws in Qld? Should I suggest a budget plan?

Cheers

Back