Body Corp won't allow installation of air con

Hi cut a long story short body corporate is refusing to allow installation of the outside unit for a split system air con.

We had proposed putting on the outside wall near the kitchen window for our first level apartment which faces a side driveway. This was refused on the basis that they are no longer allowing anything to be installed on the exterior of the building which faces the driveway or street.

This is despite 3 of the top level units having the old box style units installed in their kitchen windows

We had then requested the unit be installed outside one of the bedroom windows which is at the rear of the building and is not visible except by the neighbours behind and the majority of the view is screened by trees.

This was their response.

Thank you for forwarding our correspondence to Mr XXX. We have considered his proposal to locate the motor at the rear of the building near the bedroom window.

The intent is to have no items hanging off the side of the building. In addition, the committee is concerned that the noise of the air conditioner motor reverberating off the brickwork may affect not only Mr XXXX's tenant, but also other residents who have their bedroom windows located above. Consequently this request if not approved. Other residents use portable air conditioners and find these adequate.'

I have responded saying the unit will be mounted away from the wall on properly designed brackets with vibration dampeners and the current unit is rated at 64db which is not much more than a normal conversation. No response back as yet.

Last alternative is to mount on the roof but this will add significantly to the cost and not sure if they will allow more piping to run down the walls externally.

Do we have enough of a case to take to VCAT given the precedence of the box style units already being installed? There is also one wall which faces the street / driveway which is full of gas meters. Once again not an attractive look.

It is a 70's style brown brick block of apartments which does not have any historical significance or significant amenity in terms of enhancing the streetscape.

In one of my units, the requirements were:
? Operating noise levels of the unit/system must not interfere with or disrupt adjoining neighbours and must be positioned such that the noise level at the bedroom window of another unit does not exceed 45 dB, and may after installation/commissioning require additional sound proofing in order to satisfy this requirement.

It may be 64db from the condenser but when it reaches the window, it may be less.

I would go back to the Committee again and asking for their exact concern(s) then try to address it from there.

VCAT only as last resort, usually not a win-win.

badcliq - thanks for the advice will see how we go, have asked them for a further response otherwise pardon the pun have to air my concerns at the agm

I wouldn't want an A/C being mounted above my window... the noise isn't from the mount but the unit itself.

I have ACs installed in my own house, when i turn one split system on in one room, i can hear it in the other... but its my own house so i can't complain.

Your best bet is to have the exterior unit mounted within your balcony and pay for the extra copper piping and installation costs.

Are they at all obliged to allow you to have an air-conditioner? I wouldn't have thought so, i.e. they may even refuse the roof.

I'm just wondering what the basis for an application to VCAT would be.

If the other box units are up on higher floors, I think they can probably argue that those are less visually obtrusive than a unit mounted at first or second level.

I'm guessing the issue is that if they allow you to mount an air-con unit at the back where it's not visually obvious, that it creates a precedent for all other people on your floor to do the same, and soon Mr X has not one but multiple motors mounted on the other side of his wall. Just speculating...

Perp you are right that is their main concern, same with suggesting the car park walls underneath

Looks like only balcony or the roof, or portable. There is one final option the rear of the building overhangs an unused garden bed and it not that high off the ground, will see if perhaps it can be mounted under that. People can't walk under there without stooping down and it has no pathway or access. Then at least some of the noise may be dissipated into the carpark.

balcony is only very small and unit will only just fit. Therefore will not have enough airflow around it and could overheat. I am asking them if part of the unit can be visible above the balcony line so it can get more airflow, we can bolt it onto the side wall or place on a stand etc so it gets airflow above and around it. There may be another option to place under the very rear of the building which overhangs a disused garden bed and is not very high off the ground so low risk of falling on someone.

Roof is option but expensive with need to hire scissor lift etc and then they will have more conduit running down the side of the building.

Surely they cannot be unreasonable in denying all requests for placement options of the unit. Is VCAT $525 now?

Surely they cannot be unreasonable in denying all requests for placement options of the unit.
Doesn't the same precedent issue come up with putting your unit over the disused garden bed? Is it feasible for every unit to put a motor there? If not, then I imagine they're going to oppose that, too.

If they're correct that there's no feasible way of allowing *every* unit to have an air-con motor mounted - without significantly detracting from the aesthetics of the building and disturbing other units - then I suspect they can deny you permission to install at all.

Have they indicated that they're agreeable to a roof mount (if you're willing to bear that cost)?

Perp,

Yes they are open to roof install, this will significantly add to the cost.

Then they are also worried if people start putting units of the roof it will increase the load on it.

I see your point of view and the BC's but surely they have to allow somewhere for people to install. Unfortunately the roof may be only option unless they compromise on the balcony.

I see your point of view and the BC's but surely they have to allow somewhere for people to install.
Ugh, sorry, I'm doing too good a job of seeing things from their position if you think I agree with those positions!

I feel for you, because I'm an air-con queen, but sadly, past experience living under a body corporate taught me that I don't want to live under a body corporate. :eek:

Thanks I agree, just trying to find an acceptable outcome with them without costing a bomb. Hopefully can compromise on balcony solution.

balcony is only very small and unit will only just fit. Therefore will not have enough airflow around it and could overheat. I am asking them if part of the unit can be visible above the balcony line so it can get more airflow, we can bolt it onto the side wall or place on a stand etc so it gets airflow above and around it. There may be another option to place under the very rear of the building which overhangs a disused garden bed and is not very high off the ground so low risk of falling on someone.

Roof is option but expensive with need to hire scissor lift etc and then they will have more conduit running down the side of the building.

Surely they cannot be unreasonable in denying all requests for placement options of the unit. Is VCAT $525 now?

I've had the outdoor unit (Daikin 4kw unit) installed on a balcony that measured 3.8m (wide) x 1m deep. I asked about the same thing, as long as its installed properly, overheating isn't an issue (the balcony itself will get hot if you are sitting there, but otherwise the unit is fine).

With everything, as long as it is done correctly, then it will work fine. Its when you get cowboy installers who do half a job that causes issues (eg this install http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103968)

Sure it takes up some space on the balcony, but that is the price you pay. Everything is about give and take, sounds more like you want an A/c but don't want it in your way.

Sorry to say, but that's not how strata works. If you wanted to install things how you wanted without having to report to anyone you should have bought something that was none strata titled.

Unfortunately the balcony is only about 400mm deep so physically just enough space for the outside unit. There is a gap in the corner between the front of the balcony and the wall to allow some air in.

Haven't heard back from body corp as yet, patience is a virtue but starting to get slightly pissed. Re the first rejection letter I'm not even sure they did a post ballot - have asked for evidence.

Looks like this could be fun.

Looks like we have lift off, woops approval. Can locate the outside unit on one of the walls in the car park underneath our unit, then run the pipes under the balcony and to the split unit inside. Trying to offer up alternative solutions and be nice worked in the end!

Thanks for everyone's advice. Hope tenant will be happy.

saga continues... Thought I had told installer what to do.. But can't really blame him as he was trying to do the right thing by me. He put some flashing on the outside wall to hide the cables running down from near the kitchen window to where it comes out from underneath.

Miss mad lady secretary from body corp comes out and says no that is no good stands out like dogs balls. Come up with a more acceptable tidier solution or I will order it removed...

So now we have to do a core drill through the floor to the car park and join up on the underneath of the carpark roof to hide the majority of the cables and just leave the power one running on the outside wall.

I have told them we are drilling through the floor tomorrow. So have to now patch outside wall and inside wall in the kitchen. Fun and games.. Hoping it will be done today, now hope we can finish tomorrow. I don't know how someone in one of the middle level apartments could put air con in

Back