Body corporate management - strata titled unit

I bought a strata titled unit in a group of 4 about 4 years ago. It’s privately managed by one of the owners. It was like this before I bought in. We don’t have meetings. We don’t see any accounts. We just trust that they are doing the right thing by the group.

Now, it seems that we need to increase our strata fees as the group needs a lot of maintenance over the coming years. The group hasn’t been maintained well as we don’t meet to discuss what needs to be done and we don’t have a sinking fund.

I’ve never been comfortable with the group being managed by a total stranger who doesn’t provide any proof of what he’s spending our money on. I’d like more transparency.

So how do I go about getting the group professionally strata managed? I’ve approached the unit owner that currently manages the group and he’s against getting it professionally managed and wants to continue doing it.

Where are you? In NSW its compulsory for a 10 year sinking fund budget to be in place.

Offer to help him out with the strata so you can get across the figures.

I'm in SA. I know we're already not meeting our legal obligations by not having annual meetings at least every 15 months. Not sure about a sinking fund budget.

Back