Body Corporate Questions

Y'all,

I have a question regarding Body corporates:

Assuming I own a unit in a 6 unit development. There must be a body corporate structure in place so that owners can resolve issues of common interest.

Now say I buy 2 more units and therefore have a 50% say in the workings of the BC. There may be occasions of a Mexican standoff where the other 3 owners are against my views and some sort of mediation may be required if no agreement can be reached.

Lets take it one step further and say I buy another one. Now I have a majority 4:2 ownership. Does my vote overrule the other two owners in issues of dispute? Do they have any form of recourse if I stand my ground?

And the last scenario - Assume I am the proprietor of all 6 units. Does that negate the need for a BC altogether? Is it an unnecessary burden and waste of money, or does it legally still need to exist? If so, What the hell do I do at meetings as the sole owner :rolleyes:?

Cheers

Pedro

And the last scenario - Assume I am the proprietor of all 6 units. Does that negate the need for a BC altogether? Is it an unnecessary burden and waste of money, or does it legally still need to exist? If so, What the hell do I do at meetings as the sole owner

The body corp is a function of the title. So if the unit is strata titled, the body corp would still have to exist even if you own everything, but you have sole control over everything including what to spend. It may still have legal responsibilities like insurance, etc. The meetings would be lot like single director/secretary companies: you sign in different capacities.
Alex

Now say I buy 2 more units and therefore have a 50% say in the workings of the BC. There may be occasions of a Mexican standoff where the other 3 owners are against my views and some sort of mediation may be required if no agreement can be reached.

You're assuming all the other owners are going to be involved. Never seen that before.

Have 3 strata properties - One in block of 10 - only 2 owners ever attend, One block of 4 - only 2 owners ever attend, One block of 33 - only 8 owners ever attend.

Back