Body Corporate questions?

We had building/pest inspection today on the unit my son is buying. Little things came up, but that is the nature of building inspections. He will go ahead, but I have a couple of questions about body corporate and approvals.

1. Some units have a split system on their balcony. Son would probably want to install one too. I would assume he would need to consult the BC for approval. If so, does he need to wait for a meeting, or does he write to them?

2. He would like to remove a small internal wall between kitchen and living room. He would get an engineer in to confirm the advice from the builder that this should be okay, but if the engineer says it is "good to go" does he also need to get approval from the BC to go ahead?

3. We have not been given the paperwork of the BC and hope to get it tomorrow morning. Will this paperwork (and the search from the solicitor) tell us the rules, what can and cannot be done, what needs approval etc? Or is it just a record of what is held in the sinking fund and the minutes of the meetings?

All will be clearer tomorrow but I am frustrated today because I cannot find answers to these questions.

1. Some units have a split system on their balcony. Son would probably want to install one too. I would assume he would need to consult the BC for approval. If so, does he need to wait for a meeting, or does he write to them?
Your son would need to write a letter seeking permission. This issue and others will be raised at a future BC meeting, recorded in the minutes etc.

2. He would like to remove a small internal wall between kitchen and living room. He would get an engineer in to confirm the advice from the builder that this should be okay, but if the engineer says it is "good to go" does he also need to get approval from the BC to go ahead?
Yes, he will need an engineers certificate and BC approval. Then he will need to sign off on it to take responsibility for its causes and effects forever - so the BC is absolved from any future problems associated with it. These problems (if they arose) would be the unit holders responsibility to fix and would pass down the line to future purchasers.

3. We have not been given the paperwork of the BC and hope to get it tomorrow morning. Will this paperwork (and the search from the solicitor) tell us the rules, what can and cannot be done, what needs approval etc? Or is it just a record of what is held in the sinking fund and the minutes of the meetings?
The strata search will tell the minutes of last meetings, sinking funds, admin funds, how they plan to spend the funds over the next 10 years, harmony of the building (ie fights between neighbours / tenants in the building etc.

I will post a thread/s on this issue that you should read to keep you from being frustrated today :)

*edit* Here are some threads:
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=598336
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=700203
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=727895

Many thanks for the links Proportunity. I appreciate the help you have given with this new purchase.

Edit: Having just read those three links, I think I will send them to my son. Whilst removing a small 1.5m section of wall between the kitchen and living room areas would open the place up to feel larger, I just don't think taking on the future responsibility for doing it is worth it.

The other 600mm deep section of half wall between the kitchen and laundry area is probably best left alone too, especially knowing that a door could be put on this doorway and washing machine noise would disappear.

My son mentioned something this morning about "surely the body corporate cannot tell me what to do" or similar so I think he needs to cool his heels. They certainly can tell him what to do and what not to do.

Having had a second good look this morning, measuring everything, we realised the carpet looks fine to keep at least for the medium term, the kitchen is not to his taste, but he can take his time about replacing it with a more trendy one.

The room that most needs fixing is the bathroom. The shower stall is actually a small square bath, with the bottom of the bath set up about 15cm off the floor, meaning a high step up into the bath. Until he removes the tiles on the side of the bath, it will not be clear whether it is set high due to pipework or perhaps because the original owner didn't want to bend down so far to bath children.

He wants to rip this out and raise the shower head as well. Right now, at 6'2" the shower head would hit him around the belly button region, so that needs fixing unless he wants to sit in the bath to wash his hair :).

Replace the ugly toilet and wash basin and "voila", it will look so much better.

I imagine he would need to get a professional waterproofer in. Even if it is not a necessity, I would think it would be advisable?

Last edited:
He wants to rip this out and raise the shower head as well. Right now, at 6'2" the shower head would hit him around the belly button region, so that needs fixing unless he wants to sit in the bath to wash his hair :).

Replace the ugly toilet and wash basin and "voila", it will look so much better.

I imagine he would need to get a professional waterproofer in. Even if it is not a necessity, I would think it would be advisable?

Yes of course you need to ensure the job is done properly as you are responsible for any problems or any damage caused to others (if it leaks into another unit for example).

Yes of course you need to ensure the job is done properly as you are responsible for any problems or any damage caused to others (if it leaks into another unit for example).

Thanks. I think my issue is that when our own bathroom was done during our reno, it was changed substantially and our builder organised a waterproof layer over the whole floor area.

In the unit my son is buying, all that needs doing is the little bath removed and replaced with a shower tray. I think this is a good time for him to have that shower stall professionally waterproofed.

However, I am wondering if the whole floor needs doing like in our bathroom. I don't think there is a central overflow waste in the floor (but we will check that before doing anything).

Does anybody know whether the whole room should be done, or just the shower stall. I imagine that if the toilet or basin spring a leak, that will be obvious whereas a shower stall could leak and everything is hidden behind tiles.

There are no tiles up any of the walls (except in the shower stall) so if he gets the whole room waterproofed, he will then have to tile over it, which is an expense he can avoid if he can just waterproof the shower stall.

Anyway, we will investigate this further when we have more certainty of whether this is going ahead, or not.

is it just a record of what is held in the sinking fund and the minutes of the meetings?

we've just had two done for our two unit purchases and both only show the above.

i am sure the strata mangement (usually a local r/est office) would be able to provide you with the bylaws.

My son mentioned something this morning about "surely the body corporate cannot tell me what to do" or similar so I think he needs to cool his heels. They certainly can tell him what to do and what not to do.

On this point alone, I would say do not buy the unit (unless he intends on buying out half the block at which point he can do pretty much what he pleases as he will have majority).

Strata living is about give and take, though to keep the peace one person (the big bully) usually does all the taking while everyone else gives.

This may not bode well for your son and may result in arguments between neighbours.

So my experience with strata is if you want live peacefully, then simply ignore everyone around you. Smile and say hi, but leave it at that. Don't try to be friends there will be a 50% chance the person is genuine and 50% chance the person is trying to use you to get numbers to get their own agenda approved.

Only problem is that you wont be able to tell until you're already involved.

Goodness, he is not going to not buy it because he must obey the rules....

He will learn that he is one of several people who all have a say in what is done in his unit block. He is young and thinks he knows everything.... but I keep reminding him that he doesn't :D.

Like most of us buying our first place, he is simply keen to get in and make changes to make it "his own". Those changes (house OR unit) have to follow certain rules and regulations, and he simply has to slow down, take his time and get approval for what he wants.

Don't most 22 year olds think they know everything ........:rolleyes:

He will follow the body corporate rules, but will continue to be annoyed at having to wait for approval :p. But he is sensible and does listen, even though he likes us to think he doesn't :D.

Don't most 22 year olds think they know everything ........:rolleyes:

And thats what is going to get him in trouble with strata :)

That said, if he's only planning on living there for 1-2 years tops, then makes it an IP he can annoy as many people he wants, because once he moves out he can continue giving them hell from afar. muahahahaha :D

And thats what is going to get him in trouble with strata :)

Yes, quite possibly, but I think he will settle down and look on them like he does his parents...... annoying that they can have a say in what he does :p:D.

He'll be okay. I've sent him the links regarding flooring and removing walls, and even if he will not ever admit it, he does listen to what we say. If he tries to be arrogant or bossy (just like at home), someone on the BC will pull him into line quick smart, I reckon.

He's a good kid (young man) but thinks he knows more than we do :D. He'll learn one way or the other, hopefully the easy way.

That's right :D.

He is being so very nice to be while I spend all my days phoning, texting, organising, inspecting, looking for fridges etc etc. Must be killing him....... :p

it almost sounds like you're more excited than him - reliving your first property purchase vicariously. must be fun!

it almost sounds like you're more excited than him - reliving your first property purchase vicariously. must be fun!

Probably about right :). I have enjoyed the searching and I know he is excited, but I also know he is a bit overwhelmed by the thought of having a big mortgage and the possibility of not having anybody move into the spare room to help with his expenses, so that kind of tempers the excitement a bit, I suppose.

Back