Body Corporate woes...

Thanks for that!

Sorry, I know I'm being difficult...it just seems ridiculous for the BC to enforce such a trivial rule, against common sense!

So why be difficult? You are just making extra work for the people whose responsibility it is to ensure everyone plays nicely.

Everyone's idea of trivial is different. The bottom line is that the walkway is NOT for your exclusive use.

If you don't want to abide by the by-laws, then maybe communal living us not for you.
Marg

No

When I saw BC woes , though it might serious , like directors accusing other directors of bullying or acting illegally , or the strata committee doing something illegal , like signing a DA without the approval of the unit holders , but no .

If you start arguing over a simple matter like clothes ( in which , as others have indicated , you are wrong ) you will develop a reputation as troublesome and that will cloud the judgment of the powers that be in any future dealing you have with them .

BC's are an area that are full of potential disputes . No make minor matters a battle .

The rules are there for a reason . It's not a trivial matter . If you let people ignore them things will only deteriorate .

" Hey , johns got his clothes line out there , why can't I dismantle my Harley there as well ..."

Don't be difficult , there is always someone who has been there a lot longer than you who has more emotion invested in the block and consider it as their block . They probably have more time and can make things a lot more difficult for you than you can for them

There's just been a changing of the guard in a block where we have a unit . New owner came in a while ago wanting to change things while old long term owner wanted things to stay the same . It's taken around 18 months for things to change and it has only changed because the old owner ( I think ) has finally realised that everyone else in the block wants change so they will be outvoted . 75 % approval is needed , but she owns 2 units .

It's taken a lot of time and energy on behalf of the new owner to get things moving , but there has been a lot of friction on the way , and prior to the last committe meeting , three out of the five directors were considering resigning due to the stress being generated .

Cliff

Hmm you may be right...it might not be worth fighting about. It's weird, I've been doing it for years without any complaints (people around here keep to themselves), and suddenly this comes up. It just irks me that I can't do a simple thing like this, for a reason which doesn't even make sense! :(

Might be best to just let the matter drop and ignore the BC's notice, maybe they won't bother trying to police it, given it only happens once a week.

Um, why isn't the option of just abiding by the rules on the table? :confused:
I'll do that when, and if, they make a final demand. Until then, I'll just try flying under the radar. Normally I'd stop immediately if the issue actually affected someone, but given the logistics, it's likely some busybody with too much time on his/her hands.

I'll do that when, and if, they make a final demand. Until then, I'll just try flying under the radar. Normally I'd stop immediately if the issue actually affected someone, but given the logistics, it's likely some busybody with too much time on his/her hands.

You're not flying under the radar .

The fact that you've chosen to ignore the considered advice given by the overwhelming number of people who've gone out of their way to give it to you .....

Means that you're coming across as a bit of a D .... HEAD :rolleyes:

And that how you will be perceived by people in the block .

Cliff

I'm not ignoring your advice. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it. To be honest, I really just wanted to find out whether BCs tend to follow up these things, or whether there's any loophole with these issues.

If anyone on the block had a problem with me, they would've spoken to me anyway, given we pass each other all the time. The fact they don't suggests it might just be an overzealous BC.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Given there's no way around it, at this point I'll just leave the issue and see if there's any followups. At worst I'll just move my laundry inside, but it can't hurt to try.

If anyone on the block had a problem with me, they would've spoken to me anyway, given we pass each other all the time. The fact they don't suggests it might just be an overzealous BC. I'll see how it goes.
I think the likelihood that this is somebody in the corporate BC (i.e. not somebody living at the property) is near-zero. It's hard enough to get them to act on things you ask them to do, let alone have them actively looking for things to do!

Somebody has complained. They haven't raised it with you because it's awkward; they probably do like you, they just want you to stop hanging your washing on the balcony, and were concerned that raising it with you directly would make for uncomfortable relations.

Would it be awkward if I go door to door (there's only 9 doors) and ask to speak with them directly, and alleviate any concerns? I don't know my neighbours too well beyond the occasional hi (I don't think anyone knows anyone else too well, it's one of those buildings). Never done this before, but I've lived in sharehouses all my life where conflict resolution usually involves direct talking, rather than reporting.

Would it be awkward if I go door to door (there's only 9 doors) and ask to speak with them directly, and alleviate any concerns? I don't know my neighbours too well beyond the occasional hi (I don't think anyone knows anyone else too well, it's one of those buildings). Never done this before, but I've lived in sharehouses all my life where conflict resolution usually involves direct talking, rather than reporting.

If they have made the report anonymously then the chances of them fessing up when you approach will be zero.

Stop undertaking the offending manner and move on.

Joe, I don't live at the building and I already think you're a d!ck.

You are basically acting like a child with the attitude of "what! What ya gonna do about it"
Then keep pushing the boundary of harmonious living... but the moment someone else does something to your displeasure, you'll be jumping up and down and chucking a tantrum.

Seriously, move out of the unit, you don't belong in communal living arrangements. It will save everyone else grief.

What good would that do?

You have already said you intend to ignore the reminder. The only way you can "alleviate their concerns" is to stop using the common area as your private laundry area.

The only resolution you appear to be looking for is to have your own way.
Marg

Then keep pushing the boundary of harmonious living... but the moment someone else does something to your displeasure, you'll be jumping up and down and chucking a tantrum.
I don't care what other people do, even in the common areas. They could display neo-Nazi posters on their balconies or conduct arms deals in their driveway and it wouldn't get a peep out of me. I'm of the view that if something doesn't directly affect you, it shouldn't be an issue.

What good would that do?
It might result in a compromise, I hope. If not, then I'll let them have their way, but at least I can say I tried.

I don't care what other people do, even in the common areas. They could display neo-Nazi posters on their balconies or conduct arms deals in their driveway and it wouldn't get a peep out of me. I'm of the view that if something doesn't directly affect you, it shouldn't be an issue.

It might result in a compromise, I hope. If not, then I'll let them have their way, but at least I can say I tried.

That's a mighty deep hole you're digging for yourself joe ....... :rolleyes:

Can you see China yet ? :confused:

Oh hang on , I keep forgetting , they've bought Sydney .:eek:

Where is this unit block that you're suggesting should be covered with swaztikers and occupied by arms dealer ?

Luxford Rd ( apologies Datto , I think he'd lower the tone of 2770 ) of Gagebrook ?

I hope it's not Musgrave st ....

Cliff

I could offer to conceal my balcony a bit more, use a lower clothes rack, ensure it's not visible from the ground floor, assuming they consider it an eyesore. Or ask them what their actual concern is.

Their concern is that YOU ARE HANGING YOU WASHING IN A COMMUNAL AREA ... what bit about that do you not understand?

Offering to conceal the balcony (which you have no right to do because it is A COMMUNAL AREA) or lowering the height of the rack is not what you are required - by the BC laws - to do.

Don't get me wrong - I hate putting anything in the clothes dryer - especially sheets and towels - but you live in communal living and your desires do not allow you to do what you want in A COMMUNAL AREA.

Your best bet would be to apologise to the BC, explain your reasons as to drying as you do, asking if it were possible to install some outdoor hanging areas in the grounds ... even offer to pay for a couple of fold out clothes lines it that'll get you over the line - they only cost a hundred each ... but if you are knocked back then work out some way to dry your clothing out of THE COMMUNAL AREA.

Without floor plans it seems there is a view I'm hanging my washing in the middle of a courtyard garden. Frankly, the area is so out of the way, the only reason for anyone to enter that "communal area" would be to rob my house.

I've already spoken to the neighbours tonight and they've agreed to leave the matter be. Seems some of them were concerned I'd start draping lines on the balconies, but I've assured them I'll confine my laundry to the corner area on a small rack. Assuming the BC doesn't try to take action on its own, I don't think it'll be an issue anymore.

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry if I've rubbed any nerves, I know some of you've probably had issues with bad renters, thus the need to be a bit pedantic about the rules.

Back