Boglehead/Vanguard way to retire

Hi Everyone,

I am starting this thread as a follow on from the Very High Yield Share thread.

I have been looking into shares and have purchased three over the last several years. For what its worth I know I have been very lucky with these up until now - the shares are CBA, AGL and WOW.
CBA was purchased in a slump about 7 or so years a go and was a hands on balls and squeeze decision that worked out ok.
AGL and WOW I purchased more recently.....AGL is up a bit and WOW is the most recent and probably most risky...it is down almost a dollar as of today.

I am buying shares as a way out of property and into an easier income stream....I will keep 2 properties as a sort of bond type investment...although I have been told AGL is like a bond as well ie it won't set the world on fire (well it might as its a volatile gas) but will most likely always be there.
The properties are both well located one is about 7 km from and the other 10km. They are just old 3 bedroom houses that produce about 2% return.

I read up on The Boglehead strategy of 3 index funds...one fund in Bonds, one in local shares and one in international shares...or rather a representative index of these markets. Vanguard is the recommended provider of the ETF's used to implement this strategy.

This what I found.
- Vanguard has an Australian Bond ETF....as of this year it produces something like 2 to 2.5%. No better than a rental property....so I am keeping some rentals and AGL shares as bond substitutes.

- Vanguard has an Australian share ETF that represents the top 300 ASX companies. If I had known this earlier I wouldn't have purchased the AGL and WOW shares...but whats done is done and I am going to keep them. The dividends are good and fully franked.
The ETF is called VAS and I will be putting into this when the time comes. It returns over 5% with the advantage of franking to some extent. The franking varies but works out to well over 50% over the course of a year. So much better than property for my money.

-Vanguard has several US and international ETF's. I have settled on one which covers the world and returns a tad over 2% - VGS its about 60% USA shares. The other contender was the USA only shares but there is some hassle with USA withholding tax that I cant be bothered with so I am going with VGS (unhedged). This one I feel is the unknown to me as its a big world and the unknown brings fear and the possibility of risk. the upside is that has potential to grow (it may also shrink).

The breakdown for the total shares for me will work out at 33% individual Aust shares (AGL, CBA and WOW) ,33% VAS and 33% VGS.

My buy in price for VAS is less than it is today so if I was to buy it would be during the next slump. VGS doesn't seem to move nearly as much as VAS , its also a fairly new ETF, but if I had to buy today I would buy into this one.

So there it is.....my attempt to convert houses into shares.

I know others are in this position as well and like me not overly familiar with more than the basic share mix of 4 banks, 2 supermarkets and a phone company....funny thing is that VAS is mostly just that so it will probably turn out well.
Nearly forgot to mention...I am a buy and pray buyer. That is I wont ever sell these and don't want the hassle of watching over these things daily or even monthly. That's why I am going into it. The houses have worn me out....made a lot of money but still....now's the time for easing off and enjoying life a bit more.

I am hoping we can share knowledge and experiences on this as it is a new to me anyway way of going about things.

Cheers
GW

Dear Gateway123,

My suggest for any beginner who is thinking of share investment or trading, is to read, "Trade your way to financial freedom" by Van K Tharp (second edition). It primarily deals with key ingredients of trading which are psychology, system and money management.

It is not an easy read, by any stretch, as most chapters of the book need to be read twice.

This book has assisted me greatly by thinking with the end in mind, planning a trading system based my psychology and money management.

I will lend the book if you wish.

Regard

Andrew

+1 exactly

Well put. Will do similar

Transition from house to shares?

Did you end up buying any IPs? I've only read that you only purchased your PPOR and Comm Property to operate your business (could argue these are both investments, but...)

Glad a new thread got started as the other share thread had morphed.

I too am looking to transition into shares to fund retirement income. Over the past couple of years ive been busy constructing my portfolio of Australian LICs and ETFs like VAS and VGS.

I'm going with a similar strategy.

Currently at
VAS 50%
VTS (US) 25%
VGE (emerging markets) 25%

Figures will likely be adjusted. I made my purchases of VTS/VGE before VGS came out, but will consider VGS during future buys. I will also consider adding a LIC such as ARG/AFI/MLT when NTAs are closer to share price.

I am invested in ANZ, CBA, TLS and WBC.

Bank heavy I know.

But.. I use the 5%+ dividends from above to service a ML which I use to purchase VHY.

For passive investors that wish to go down the index path I suggest picking up a copy of John (Jack) Bogles "Common sense on mutual funds", and perhaps Burton Malkiels "a random walk down wall street". I think a somewhat deeper understanding is helpful and you will be well rewarded by doing the reading. Its a valid approach, but you must commit for the long term, not chopping and changing and bottling it when there is market "uncertainty".

Hi China,
I'm glad to hear you are not going to sell out the shares you bought just because went down recently. BHP in particular has very good years and very bad years. In this game, as with houses, just pick and stick with solid stock unless you are a trader which I am not. It's the dividends that will make it worthwhile.....same with WOW.
Like me you seem to have learnt about index ETF's at the same time. Well we live and learn. You still could end up laughing this off in a few years when prices go up again.

Dear Gateway123,

My suggest for any beginner who is thinking of share investment or trading, is to read, "Trade your way to financial freedom" by Van K Tharp (second edition). It primarily deals with key ingredients of trading which are psychology, system and money management.

It is not an easy read, by any stretch, as most chapters of the book need to be read twice.

This book has assisted me greatly by thinking with the end in mind, planning a trading system based my psychology and money management.

I will lend the book if you wish.

Regard

Andrew[/QUOTE

Hi Andrew,
I don't think I want to read that book. Seems too hard,,,maybe you could give us all the short version in this thread if its applicable.

Erko.....
Bogles books are great! They are US focussed for sure but the principles relate everywhere. I wish I had read them earlier.

Everyone......... re Vanguard, which is the root of this thread. The posters to this thread all seem to be thinking along the same line (a common thread!) . VGS still has me wondering why its dividend is so low...maybe its more growth focussed?

Gateway

Gateway, what you are seeing with VGS distributions is a reflection of the much lower pay out ratios seen across a globally cap weighted index. Most countries do not have dividend imputation, so dividends are double taxed (in the hands of the company as earnings, then again in the hands in the investor with no franking credits attached). This means that typically International stocks are more of a CG play than income, with companies preferring stock buy backs (to increase stock price) or redeployment of capital rather than dividends. Australia is somewhat of an anomaly in this regard.

Transition from house to shares?

Did you end up buying any IPs? I've only read that you only purchased your PPOR and Comm Property to operate your business (could argue these are both investments, but...)

Hopefully in due course the comm property and business will transition into index funds. But currently, I am diversified - one third property, one third shares (13% down today) and one third cash. But over time, the aim is to move into index funds as detailed by Gateway in this thread and just a PPOR.

Hi China,
I'm glad to hear you are not going to sell out the shares you bought just because went down recently. BHP in particular has very good years and very bad years. In this game, as with houses, just pick and stick with solid stock unless you are a trader which I am not. It's the dividends that will make it worthwhile.....same with WOW.
Like me you seem to have learnt about index ETF's at the same time. Well we live and learn. You still could end up laughing this off in a few years when prices go up again.

Everyone......... re Vanguard, which is the root of this thread. The posters to this thread all seem to be thinking along the same line (a common thread!) . VGS still has me wondering why its dividend is so low...maybe its more growth focussed?

Gateway

No need to sell right now as I am not retiring for another five or six years and the money was just sitting as cash doing nothing much. But the whole thread regarding ETFs makes a lot of sense to me in terms of creating a passive income for retirement. Despite my stock portfolio being down about 13% down today on paper, interim dividend payments last year were satisfying and made me realise that my passive income goals are actually closer to fruition than I had previously appreciated. Before franking, the dividends would equate to about a 4.3% annual yield, which certainly beats most things. So as other posters have suggested, I will hope to regain my capital when time comes and transition into ETF.

This what I found.
- Vanguard has an Australian Bond ETF....as of this year it produces something like 2 to 2.5%. No better than a rental property....so I am keeping some rentals and AGL shares as bond substitutes.

Hi GW

When interest rates increase, bond prices fall and when interest rates decrease, bond prices rise.

Over the last 12 months Vanguards Bond Index looks to be up about 5% (plus dividends), nothing fantastic, but the Vanguard site shows a 10.31% return for the 2014 year, there have even been periods when bonds have outperformed shares. Bonds give me some diversification and risk mitigation, the price could fall but the yield will also rise ;)

Hi GW

When interest rates increase, bond prices fall and when interest rates decrease, bond prices rise.

Over the last 12 months Vanguards Bond Index looks to be up about 5% (plus dividends), nothing fantastic, but the Vanguard site shows a 10.31% return for the 2014 year, there have even been periods when bonds have outperformed shares. Bonds give me some diversification and risk mitigation, the price could fall but the yield will also rise ;)

Hi Redwing,

I couldn't understand why the 2 latest distributions on the vanguard site were so low for vgb - so I range them.
Apparently last year was very good but the bonds they are getting now are returning a lot less. Less than 3% is now expected. I wish this wasn't the case as based on last years figures I would have gone in for them for at least 1/3 of my worth. Seems these bonds are variable which is a great shame.
If you have other information about this please correct me as its a steep curve I'm on.
GW

Hi GW

As per above, for me they provide some stability in a portfolio, diversification, risk mitigation, income and are a valuable resource in a falling market. You won't be making any ten baggers off a bond index though :D

The last 12 months for VGB as an example compared to the ASX200 looks pretty good, but going out 2,3 or 4 years gives a different picture. Bogle suggests you have an allocation to bonds as a necessary element of your asset allocation.

The ASX200 is blue and VGB the red line, both start out at the same starting point and near on end on one, however there is a marked difference throughout the year

Attachments

• ASX200 & VGB.jpg
    ASX200 & VGB.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 170
After reading this thread I think I am now coming to the conclusion that I should do what I am doing and forget shares. Lack of control, living on a prayer is not comforting.

Perhaps more work with my developments but at least I have a pretty good idea on what I will achieve at the end.

After reading this thread I think I am now coming to the conclusion that I should do what I am doing and forget shares. Lack of control, living on a prayer is not comforting.

Perhaps more work with my developments but at least I have a pretty good idea on what I will achieve at the end.

What were you hoping to gain from investing into the stockmarket MTR?

Back