bond released but damage exists....PM implying the door stoppers not sufficient

Hi all,

Tenants left my IP back in July. Bond was released and PM noted only a few things. I visisted IP in Oct and noticed broken chairs (house rented furnished), missing mugs and holes in the walls behind 3 of the 6 bedrooms.

Agent released bond. I said things will need to be fixed. Agents apparently had quotes and have been told that the door stoppers are not sufficient and need to be replaced and need to be longer. The newwly renovated rooms downstairs have door stoppers exactly the same length at the older rooms upstairs.

The time I spent in the house, I never put a door knob through the wall. The doors blow closed rather than open if there is a draft and the vendor lived there for 20 odd years with no signs of damage.

What can I do? Do agents have insurance to cover their own mistakes?

I dont think I should have to pay for it considering the agent admitted to missing the broken plastic outdoor chair becasue 'it was stacked up' - done by the tenants to disguise the fact that it was broken.

I am not paying for it and my insurance excess makes a claim useless.

Suggestions? What are my rights?

Thanks in advance

how much are you looking at? a plastic chair, a bit of plaster filler (sand and paint) and some better door stoppers? maybe $100? and if the door handles "are" hitting the walls and making holes then the door stoppers "are" insufficient.

the thing to remember is that tenants will never care for your house as well as you do - often they don't care at all. i know you are peeved off but sometimes you just have to cop it sweet, write it off as experience and get on with making money.

hey, my last tenants to move out cost me a couple of thousand (on top of the bond) because they wrecked the carpet - but the insurance company claimed it was just poor housekeeping. i was not happy, but just get it fixed and move on.

hey, my last tenants to move out cost me a couple of thousand (on top of the bond) because they wrecked the carpet - but the insurance company claimed it was just poor housekeeping. i was not happy, but just get it fixed and move on.

My lot cost a couple of thousand on top of a couple of thousand paid out by insurance! :eek:

All carpets shot (with interesting smell of urine/smoke/vomit/other bodily fluids?), damaged light fittings, light bulbs stolen (what the?), 2 cast iron fireplace inserts ripped out of wall and stolen, holes in walls, jungle in garden (overgrown with vines - $600+ to remove), kitchen lino, a large window blocked by gyprock board (glued onto glass), black plastic over another window (nailed into window frame), all curtains missing or in state similar to carpets, water damage to 2 walls and weatherboards from unrepaird plumbing, laundry taps broken off and glued back on with locktite (unable to take off to repair now)....

I agree, give me a few holes in a wall anyday! :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

^^ that's terrible *shocked*

we've seen some terrible houses (to buy) that have all been lived in by tenants. Tenants can really trash a place *disgusted*

back to the original post - fighting the PM for money might be more trouble stress than it's worth. if the amount is a couple of hundred dollars... i'm sure it's not a substantial amount compared to how much $$ your property makes for you by renting it out?

Thanks for all your replies,

I know I am pretty lucky when it comes to the actual damage but it is the prinicpal of the matter and the fact that the agent admits she missed it. It could be a lot worse and as a 1st IP and the 1st ever tenants for me, I am very lucky. They could have been the tenants from hell the first time over and a mightmare ever since so in that respect its great.

I dont appreciate the agent suggesting they will do BETTER job for me than the agent I had it with before them. They could not find a tenant for 4 months and the ones they did find, they released bond when they shouldnt have. A convincing sales pitch with not much to back it up.

I guess my gripe is more with a feeling of betrayal than the actual damage - they hiped themselves up so much...what am I paying for...?

Probably not helping this past event...but I decided to self manage 100%.....then it's your own responsibility and you have 100% control......;) Learn the rules then self manage.....we have never looked back since dumping agent......:)

Back