Booking last minute trip over the Xmas break

Hi all!!

Looking to book an 8 night trip to one of the Pacific Island destinations.

This is from Christmas eve, and back on New Year's day.

Family reckons I should wait till next week and it will be cheaper.

I reckon there would a whole heap of people looking at last minute deals, and it is likely to become more expensive next week. Am I correct in assuming this? My intuition says I should not delay the booking any longer.

thanks
monalisa

Flights will get more expensive close to the date of travel. Especially true over the festive break.

The bargain travel adds will caveat travel dates.

Book now

Blacky

Outbound flight from aus to anywhere woluld be really expensive.

I remember few years back, we just drove to Melbourne and stayed at places , at whatever suitable accommodation we found.

i remember best part of the trip was staying at vineyard on a way to Phillip island.

We haven;t plan anything this year, but may go for long drive.

Just booked a trip to Bangkok... after much deliberations. Expensive. But I think we worked too hard over the last 12 months - so giving ourselves a break!!

One night in Bangkok and the worlds your oyster. You'll find a god in every golden cloister and if your lucky then the gods a she..... Murray Head ... Chess Musical.

just curious, how much did you pay?

For flights? About $1,450 - bought online - searched on Kayak, which redirected me to Expedia. Our travel agent (which tends to be pretty decent with pricing) had quoted approx $1,900 for the same flight!

Hotel is a bit on the expensive side :$ we are staying at the Grand Hyatt.

We're off to Bangkok mid January. You can let us know what's worthwhile visitiing & what's not. :D

Skater, I think a good amount of time will be spent shopping :p are you into shopping? 2 years ago we visited KL, and absolutely loved the variety of stuff to choose from (this is more Westfield like shopping, but so much better than Sydney!) - since our visit we have barely been to Westfield - shopping is so boring here!

I really wanted to get suits stitched, but the tailor we want is pretty much fully booked out :( busiest time of the year for them.

I think we will have a day to go around the temples, the Grand Palace etc.

Skater, I think a good amount of time will be spent shopping :p are you into shopping? 2 years ago we visited KL, and absolutely loved the variety of stuff to choose from (this is more Westfield like shopping, but so much better than Sydney!) - since our visit we have barely been to Westfield - shopping is so boring here!

I really wanted to get suits stitched, but the tailor we want is pretty much fully booked out :( busiest time of the year for them.

I think we will have a day to go around the temples, the Grand Palace etc.

If food is your thing

You gotta try the buffet at the hotel you are staying at

Its phenomenal, or the Marriott which is slightly cheaper but includes foie gras

As for your hotel it's a really good one even though I've never stayed in it

You are going to have a ball, unless dirty streets aren't your thing

Also if you go to the kings palace, ignore all those people outside who tell you it's not open for another couple of hours but I can take you around to other open temples for 30 odd baht!

They will take you to tailors and jewellery shops

As for shopping try mbk, terminal 21 and Siam paragon
That will keep you busy for a couple of days

Flying on Christmas day is a very smart idea, Dec 25 is usually cheaper than other days in Dec and Jan :) $1400+ is a great deal for a last minute booking to BKK. It is a city that never sleeps. Enjoy the food and massages. Pratunam and the surrounding area is good for clothes and accessories. For those that don't shop, there are plenty of places for health massage in almost every street corner, and lots of entertainment.

If food is your thing

You gotta try the buffet at the hotel you are staying at

Its phenomenal, or the Marriott which is slightly cheaper but includes foie gras

As for your hotel it's a really good one even though I've never stayed in it

You are going to have a ball, unless dirty streets aren't your thing

Also if you go to the kings palace, ignore all those people outside who tell you it's not open for another couple of hours but I can take you around to other open temples for 30 odd baht!

They will take you to tailors and jewellery shops

As for shopping try mbk, terminal 21 and Siam paragon
That will keep you busy for a couple of days

Thanks for the tips Truly Exotic...will keep this in mind.

Don't like dirty streets at all - but given we come from South Asia - we should be OK.

Not sure if we will go with buffet - too picky with food, and eat kosher / halal meat only. which makes the choice so narrow!

The hotel has sky walk ways to the malls :) - I think it will be great fun!!!

Happy New Year all :)

Flying on Christmas day is a very smart idea, Dec 25 is usually cheaper than other days in Dec and Jan :) $1400+ is a great deal for a last minute booking to BKK.

Yep, it is decent I think!

We just booked on Sunday night!

Just keep reminding ourselves - we have worked really hard over the last 12 months. Find it so hard rewarding ourselves - but we have a good year behind us :)

I was wondering can anybody speak Thai here?

I've got like two words that I was s wondering someone could translate

The free translation services all give nononsense answers

Mona Lisa, Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! After 12 months of hard work, you definitely deserve a break.

The best food in Thailand is the street food :) Don't blame you for not wanting to eat at the hotel. Plenty of good food to be found in the little alleys.

Sounds like your hotel is near Siam Paragon, if it has a skywalk? Platinum is just a couple of blocks away - factory outlet shops at a fraction of the Siam Paragon prices. There are also a few little alleys in Baiyoke (a short walk from Platinum) selling clothes at wholesale prices.

Beware of those jewellery/massage tourist traps when taxi drivers offer to take you on a tour. I would recommend getting around by train rather than taxis or tuktuks - train gets you from point A to point B faster (now including the airport), runs every 5 min, no traffic jams, and no dodgy taxi drivers taking you on a long detour to some shop/deliberately switching off the meter. Hope you have a great time!

Coincidentally I am going for a meditation retreat at a Thai forest monastery tomorrow (in NSW), looking forward to that.

Don't miss a visit to Jim Thompsons House in Bangkok. A beautiful traditional Thai house built by the American founder of the Thai silk industry who lived his life there. Very interesting place and takes no time to see it.

Back