Books

W

WebBoard

Books
Date: 1/29/00
Time: 3:06:56 PM

I see a number of people out there have read Robert Kiyosaki's book 'Rich Dad,Poor Dad'. 'Cashflow Quadrant' is another of his books and it has really made me think of the possibilities that could happen. Also Anthony Robbins book "Awaken the Giant Within" I found fantastic. Reading it encouraged me to take the plunge from being an employee to being self employed (which I have wanted to do for a number of years). Has anyone else read any other books that have been a turning point in their life?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill

Reply: 1

Re: Books
Date: 1/30/00
Time: 9:45:46 AM

Hi Janice

I've read all the books you are talking about and agree they are life changing. I'd personally say that Robert's books weren't as overly enlightening to me as I thought they would be, but that is mainly because the principles he discusses are already part of my personal philosophy - turning them into practice is the challenge for all of us!

As for Anthony Robbins I think he is brilliant. Awaken the Giant Within is a book I think everyone should read. I'd also highly recommend you read his earlier book Unlimited Power. Covers some of the same stuff but is sufficiently different to compliment ATGW. A 'must read'. Good luck for the future!

Cheers, Bill

Gee Cee

Reply: 1.1

Re: Books Books & More Books
Date: 1/30/00
Time: 6:57:06 PM

One of my first inspirational books was by Noel Whittaker "Making Money Made Simple" He listed in this book a number of other good self improvement & motivational reads.

The Books that I found great are Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude Napoleon Hill & W Clement Stone

The Magic of Thinking Big David J. Schwartz

Any of the property books by Fred Johnston & Brendon Whitting.

These are just a few but there are a lot of other good ones out there.

Happy reading & successful investing.

Gee Cee

P.S. What do you actually do now that you are self employed?

Janice

Reply: 1.1.1

Date: 1/31/00
Time: 3:59:43 AM

Hi Gee Cee, I run a tutoring business for students from yr1 to yr12. I am a trained teacher. The books you and Bill mention are great. Jan Somers books are a must too! Regards Janice

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Date: 2/2/00
Time: 11:41:03 PM

Folks, I have read the biggest percentage of those - and all of them well worth the read. But two that gave me a "whack on the side of the head" and gave me a whole new perspective were "His Needs, Her Needs" and "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

I just KNOW that last one is right up there with Abba and VW's (you either love them or hate them) - and Men are from Mars has received a lot of bad press in areas that I've been. But it provided me with a fantastic lot of "wake-up calls" with respect to my reactions to my wife (and other women too).

One major was to do with the "you never listen to me" comment that I hear many women come out with (usually wives). The crazy thing is that I always did TOO much - Mars men like to "fix" things that their wives seem to be having a problem with. As the book says, all wife wanted was for me to LISTEN, not to try to put things right, but just validate her feelings (whatever they were). She then "fixed" her own problem by talking it through to a listener - me. She didn't really want me jumping in with suggestions, just to listen.

Through these books, I've also found out that women articulate their thoughts, where men typically don't. But man tries to interpret the spoken "thoughts" as though they are the issue, where (as often as not) what is being said is wife's "thought processes" - which often can be less than flattering....

So, having read, and learnt, I can now sit down and listen (without feeling bad, and without trying to "fix" wife's spoken problems) and Boy it has certainly been easier on both of us since I learnt that.

One example of the above sticks in my mind (from one of those books) - see if you recognise the situation (been there before?):-

Scene: throwing a BBQ at home for half-a-dozen friends - one bloke says "Hey! Where did you get this meat?"

If hubby answers he would say "From Joe the butcher" - if wife answers, she would say "Why? What's wrong with it?"

Great books - even if you don't like Abba, you too could appreciate them too (I LOVE Abba, but I HATE VW's ... ;^)

Les

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.2

Date: 2/2/00
Time: 11:41:03 PM

Folks, I have read the biggest percentage of those - and all of them well worth the read. But two that gave me a "whack on the side of the head" and gave me a whole new perspective were "His Needs, Her Needs" and "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

I just KNOW that last one is right up there with Abba and VW's (you either love them or hate them) - and Men are from Mars has received a lot of bad press in areas that I've been. But it provided me with a fantastic lot of "wake-up calls" with respect to my reactions to my wife (and other women too).

One major was to do with the "you never listen to me" comment that I hear many women come out with (usually wives). The crazy thing is that I always did TOO much - Mars men like to "fix" things that their wives seem to be having a problem with. As the book says, all wife wanted was for me to LISTEN, not to try to put things right, but just validate her feelings (whatever they were). She then "fixed" her own problem by talking it through to a listener - me. She didn't really want me jumping in with suggestions, just to listen.

Through these books, I've also found out that women articulate their thoughts, where men typically don't. But man tries to interpret the spoken "thoughts" as though they are the issue, where (as often as not) what is being said is wife's "thought processes" - which often can be less than flattering....

So, having read, and learnt, I can now sit down and listen (without feeling bad, and without trying to "fix" wife's spoken problems) and Boy it has certainly been easier on both of us since I learnt that.

One example of the above sticks in my mind (from one of those books) - see if you recognise the situation (been there before?):-

Scene: throwing a BBQ at home for half-a-dozen friends - one bloke says "Hey! Where did you get this meat?"

If hubby answers he would say "From Joe the butcher" - if wife answers, she would say "Why? What's wrong with it?"

Great books - even if you don't like Abba, you too could appreciate them too (I LOVE Abba, but I HATE VW's ... ;^)

Les

Trev

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1

Re: Books Books & More Books & VWs
Date: 2/17/00
Time: 8:27:58 PM

G'day Les,

I've been trying to restrain myself for the last five minutes after reading your article - but alas I can no more. We have not chatted yet, but I have been reading your entries with interest - impressed always by your learned and down to earth advice. So it was with great disappointment that I read your hostile rejection of VWs over ABBA !!

I too like ABBA, but LUV VWs. Needless to say I have a vee dub (passat), and think they are an absolutely outstanding vehicle - an audi without the price tag in fact. Though since I've had it less than a year, I guess we'll have to wait and see if the enthusiasm wears off !! If you haven't guessed, this is all tongue in cheek, and I look forward to learning more from your entries.

Cheers, Trev

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1

Re: Books Books & More Books & VWs
Date: 2/20/00
Time: 4:15:53 PM

G'day Trev,

Actually the ones I HATE are the ones that look like VW's (1930 - 1975 or whenever!!) I never could quite relate to a car that travelled faster in 3rd gear than in 4th!!!! And whenever I closed the door, my eardrums burst ;^)

I hope you and your Passat are still in love in 10 years time.

Regards, Les

Ian (NSW)

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1.1

Re: Books Books & More Books: attention Les.
Date: 2/5/00
Time: 9:09:42 AM

Hello Les and All

It is amazing how a "prompt" from reading any form of research material can impact on each of us. I too have read most of the aforementioned books and found them to have significant influence on my approach to property, wife and family.

Les, I was wondering if you had read any material by Stephen Biddulph, particularly "Manhood"? It offers a valuable insight into men looking at what makes them tick. I found some of the material somewhat too "warm and fuzzy", however, I found the bulk of the material to have significant relevance and influence on my focus towards my life, wife and two young boys.

I have also found a far more relaxed and comfortable approach to property also ie: I used to have a tendency to become too engrosssed with it to the point of worrying about interest rates, GST, capital gains tax and so on.

Now I see my family and I in a position of good fortune, with mechanisms now firmly in place to see us very secure in the future....so the negatives don't even rate a mention! Keep up the enthusiastic responses to all the forum queries.

Regards Ian

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1

Re: Books Books & More Books: attention Les.
Date: 2/10/00
Time: 5:00:54 PM

G'day Ian,

That Steven Biddulph book sounded interesting, so I went to "Barnes & Noble" website, found it, and was going to buy, but the site had some problems with my credit card. So I'll have to find it in, or order it from, a bookshop.

I always like books that allow me to relax more. I especially noted your comments re the effect it had on your "need to calculate the returns" - mainly because I can tend to be too much that way. Nothing like being able to be relaxed about big decisions......

Thanks for the input,

Regards, Les

Back