Boronia vs. Doncaster East

As an mhs old boy aswell (so was my older brother) and im with PM. This thread is embarrasing.

My guess is Shuttle man didnt even go there although he wishes he did.

Last edited:
Wow what a coincidence, 3 posters all from MHS, all invest in the same suburb and all have the exact same view on everything.

not quite correct,
2 of us don't like even talking about the school, 1 obviously does
i'm not sure about aussie rogue, but I cannot stand doncaster/doncaster east for the life of me,

I see nothing good about the suburb from a living pespective, I hate westfield with a passion, ive only been there once and hated it, I do not go there, (except for the odd movie), i don't like the people there (sorry for the people who live there on this forum that are nice!), its just not for me

anyway, I feel like the thread has gone too far away from the original intentions, although im sure there is much relevance in discussing schools

not quite correct,
2 of us don't like even talking about the school, 1 obviously does
i'm not sure about aussie rogue, but I cannot stand doncaster/doncaster east for the life of me,

I see nothing good about the suburb from a living pespective, I hate westfield with a passion, ive only been there once and hated it, I do not go there, (except for the odd movie), i don't like the people there (sorry for the people who live there on this forum that are nice!), its just not for me

anyway, I feel like the thread has gone too far away from the original intentions, although im sure there is much relevance in discussing schools

PM, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the the alias' DeeHwa/Deltaberry/Rocketman.

I respect your opinion regarding Doncaster. I know the area well having grown up in a suburb not too far, and to be honest I could think of worse areas to live in.

PM, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the the alias' DeeHwa/Deltaberry/Rocketman.

I respect your opinion regarding Doncaster. I know the area well having grown up in a suburb not too far, and to be honest I could think of worse areas to live in.

thats cool bananas:D (I haven;t really read much about what DeeHwa/Deltaberry/Rocketman said yet)

from a personal perspective, there is actually nothing wrong with the suburb itself, although I did use some strong words like "hate with a passion", i know for a fact its a great suburb for a certain type of people. its just not me. I would choose living in doncaster over frankston any day of the year if the prices were the same (before pro frankston people get upset with me, I am pro frankston!!). I see better value elsewhere from a living perspective,

re

Having looked through both suburbs in the past, I must admit both have limited access to trains. And from investment point of view, suburbs along the train route seem to fare better as a general rule.

Currently, both Doncaster and to a lesser extent Doncaster East seemed to be quiet pricy. So if budget is a problem, then Boronia obviously wins. But then again, within each of these suburbs, there are different properties with different potential. The difference between a good or excellent investor is to find that potential.

Regarding the old high school rivaries. As someone who went through public schooling out in the Broadmeadows region, I have been snobbed by students from just about everywhere else, LOL. But you must say the worst offenders usually come from MHS, and the elite privates. Anyway, not that I mind, as the old Broady motto goes: You want respect? You have to earn it.

Warren.2010

what i don't understand is why people who can afford to pay millions of dollars for a property won't pay a few thousand dollars a year to send their kids to a good private school? instead they get caught in all the hype about a public school that so happens to have some smart students in it. ridiculous!

It is more than a few thousand per year.

For something like balwyn high you can buy into say North Balwyn for $1million and go to one of the best government schools or you could say live in Doncaster, spent 300k less on the house and send your kids to private school in Kew.

Assuming say 2 kids that is about 36k per year (assuming 18k/yr each), over 6 years of high school, $216k in school fees. I think going the Balwyn HS option could be a good choice for some people if the want blue ribbon location property and private school but can't afford both.

I don't see how people can assume that Balwyn High School is any better than any other public school in Victoria. It's just like the example of Glen Waverley High School - Lots of asians live around that area, and we know that asians tend to do better in school because of cultural reasons. Hence the average grades go up, but the school has nothing to do with it. Yet people think that it's the school that causes the good results and therefore more asians buy into that area, pushing prices (and school grades) up. Same thing with Balwyn - Asian families are now moving there to get in the 'school zone' but you just have a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Having looked through both suburbs in the past, I must admit both have limited access to trains. And from investment point of view, suburbs along the train route seem to fare better as a general rule.

Currently, both Doncaster and to a lesser extent Doncaster East seemed to be quiet pricy.

With Doncaster I think the main attactions are Westfield (now a very good centre) and freeway access. Agree the train is an obvious problem. I've driven to Doncaster from the CBD a fair bit during peak house and to be honest the trip is not bad.

I don't see how people can assume that Balwyn High School is any better than any other public school in Victoria. It's just like the example of Glen Waverley High School - Lots of asians live around that area, and we know that asians tend to do better in school because of cultural reasons. Hence the average grades go up, but the school has nothing to do with it. Yet people think that it's the school that causes the good results and therefore more asians buy into that area, pushing prices (and school grades) up. Same thing with Balwyn - Asian families are now moving there to get in the 'school zone' but you just have a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So how was Springvale High's grades last year?

You could make a similar argument about Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar, marks are pushed up significantly because the give scholorships to attract smarter students. I personally don't think there is any point singling out races though. The marks are what they are and top government schools attract better students. Top private schools do aswell. The school has everything to do with it.

Balwyn High is a serious academic school. Glen Waverley high aswell. When I first went to uni I was suprised at the over representation of students from Balwyn High and to a lesser extent Glen Wavelerly High, none of the people I knew from those school were asian though.

Our family house is in Doncaster and I love the area. Quiet, friendly neighbours, really good access to CBD by car and bus (doesn't break down during weather extremes).

I don't think the train is necessary, seeing as Box Hill is nearby and has good amounts of carparks allocated to for people who take the train. Did I mention that buses don't break down during weather extremes? :p

Don't know much about Boronia, so can't comment there.

Didnt want to start a new thread,
was wondering if people comment and try and work out the value of this one

http://www.realestateview.com.au/Re...Property-Details-buy-residential-3820767.html

spoke to the agent, apparently, even the agent/vendors have no idea what its worth, and that it depends on the intentions of the purchaser, I see a few options, whether its a hold, or develop into the 8 dwellings as per plans, or develop into 1 dwelling or rennovate existing ones,

un reno'ed properties in this area go for anywhere between $525-$700k depending on key factors,

its a corner block which is great, returns $1000 per week or there abouts

im completely stumped

As long as it's close to the train station I say Boronia. Compared to other suburbs in the area it seems undervalued.

East Doncaster is not undervalued. There is a huge difference in location position between East Doncaster and Doncaster. The houses in Doncaster that are near North Balwyn are not undervalued. Compare these prices to the prices in Greythorn. Greythorn is a bit more expensive but not by much.

Doncaster East is not really near North Balwyn. It's closer to Mitcham.

GW really only attracts one to two groups of people - rich mainland Chinese and developers wanting to develop large blocks especially on corners of Springvale Road.

Not being racist or anything but how many non-mainland Chinese are willing to part with that amount of money for a GW/Balwyn house?

It also attracts Asians due to it being easy to live there, being many that can speak their language, restaurants, shops etc. My friend tutors in GW and tells me along Waverley road there are heaps of tuition centres of music, arts, maths etc.

I always thought the difference is in the child not the school. I mean if you have a kid that is so driven and hard working in study would that not be the difference in how well he does academically?

I was just thinking and talking to a mate couple weeks back about this. We had the opinion that it depends on the child and if the parents invest time in knowing what is going on.

I feel like instead of paying 500k to have 2 children go through private schooling, save the money for them or buy a property with it. When they are old enough they have a nice head start or finances to start a business.

I guess I just feel like a driven kid in a state school can make it just the same as a child going the private route.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

I always thought the difference is in the child not the school. I mean if you have a kid that is so driven and hard working in study would that not be the difference in how well he does academically?

I was just thinking and talking to a mate couple weeks back about this. We had the opinion that it depends on the child and if the parents invest time in knowing what is going on.

I feel like instead of paying 500k to have 2 children go through private schooling, save the money for them or buy a property with it. When they are old enough they have a nice head start or finances to start a business.

I guess I just feel like a driven kid in a state school can make it just the same as a child going the private route.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Absolutely not! LOL I was the product of the state school system. Went to uni, worked in an office job etc.

It's really in your (or kids shall I say) hand's.

Back