Boronia vs. Doncaster East

Friends

I am about to finalise an IP under $400 K in Boronia. The land size is huge. However, someone suggested me to buy a property in Doncaster East. It will surely cost above $500 k and land size would be smaller. But according that person, the ROI is in next 3 years would be higher in Doncaster East.

Which suburb should I go for?

Thanks...

Depends what you want to do.

Both are good but very different markets.

And yes you will pay much much more in East Doncaster.

Nothing wrong with Boronia. Huge block - most being subdivided. Lots of young families. Lost of potential so dont be put off.

If I were you I'd do some landbanking (as long as you can hold). subdivision is good but only if the land values are sufficiently high to justify the costs of doing so. but as long as u can hold it's fine

Well you know what happened to Balwyn when Balwyn High School got zoned?

Doncaster High and East Doncaster Secondary College have now been zoned also and are brilliant schools, as well as it having some of the best primary schools in Melbourne. Doncaster\Doncaster East(Next door to Balwyn) are undervalued and you can still buy an ok'ish PPOR for $700-800k. But I doubt for too much longer before it hit's the $1M club like Balwyn.

Doesn't have a train line, but plenty of buses. It's a mum and dad car suburb if that makes sense as well as it being a very green and beautiful suburb with great shopping, excellent place to raise kids, etc.

Would be hard to make money in this area for investment purposes, as the yields would be low I'd imagine. Stick to Boronia.

Well you know what happened to Balwyn when Balwyn High School got zoned?

Doncaster High and East Doncaster Secondary College have now been zoned also and are brilliant schools, as well as it having some of the best primary schools in Melbourne. Doncaster\Doncaster East(Next door to Balwyn) are undervalued and you can still buy an ok'ish PPOR for $700-800k. But I doubt for too much longer before it hit's the $1M club like Balwyn.

Doesn't have a train line, but plenty of buses. It's a mum and dad car suburb if that makes sense as well as it being a very green and beautiful suburb with great shopping, excellent place to raise kids, etc.

Would be hard to make money in this area for investment purposes, as the yields would be low I'd imagine. Stick to Boronia.

You seem to contradict yourself here with your 'Doncaster will soon hit the $1mil club like Balwyn' yet you say it 'would be hard to make money in this area for investment purposes'. Regardless of how well Doncaster does in the future (and assuming what you are saying and your anticipation of future prices are correct, I would assume a PPOR for $700-800K to hit $1mil in the not so distant future (maybe 2-3 years) is a pretty decent investment.

Poor yields is only one part of the equation and you are being too simplistic here with the Boronia is better than Doncaster simply because yields would be better in Boronia (as a result of being cheaper).

As an original Donny high boy, I take offense at this comment....

How could we even begin comparing Doncaster High with Balwyn High?

Come to think of it, you're right, Balwyn doesn't come close.....

Doesn't have a train line

now there is a sore point amongst the locals, only been promised by various politicians for the last 130 odd years...

some of the best primary schools in Melbourne.

Well they were when I went there, over 40 years ago.. :eek:

With a spare/lazy $700k to invest, unfortunately I would also pick Boronia, as I could get 2 there for the price of one in Donny. and they have a train...:mad:

bye

As an original Donny high boy, I take offense at this comment....

Come to think of it, you're right, Balwyn doesn't come close.....

Haha not meaning to offend ex-students. But this debate is like whether Melb / Monash is better than Victoria Uni.

There're areas where Victoria Uni excel more, but I would've thought the overall vibe is Melb / Monash is a better uni.

Similarly, I know many people who've bought a house in Balwyn / Nth Balwyn in order to get into the Balwyn High zone. I've never heard the same about Donny... they might buy there because it's cheap or because it's got big houses (for the same price), but I've never heard anyone buy there to get into the school all these years (and that's 20+ years)

Doncaster is basically a two or three car per house suburb. People here don't mind that there is no train or tram, from what i've seen. What for? When you have terrific freeway/City access via the freeway. That's what cars are for. And a good network of buses.

Of course Balwyn High is a very sought after school, and Balwyn prices are a fair bit higher, won't argue with that.

brother and parents bought a place in (roger st) Doncaster east last feb 385k for 3 bedroom landed unit (those in group of 4). They did some renos i felt were overkill 5 air conditioners, extended long deck some top end kitchen and bathroom.

But their neghbour sold theirs recenlty for 650K unrenovated. - so i think that is just crazy CG

I believe not everyone can afford to buy in balwyn but It's sort of the spread out affect - balwyn, boxhill.. they start to go out to the next door suburbs i believe like burwood, burwood east, doncaster east. whether it is the schools.. not really.. we're already all working maybe the local food restaurants and westfield - more an attraction.

what i don't understand is why people who can afford to pay millions of dollars for a property won't pay a few thousand dollars a year to send their kids to a good private school? instead they get caught in all the hype about a public school that so happens to have some smart students in it. ridiculous!

100% agree Rocket man, I never undestand why someone would pay $1mil+ to live in Nth Balwyn when you could move to East Doncaster and spend a couple of 100k less and use the difference to send there kids to one of the exclusive Kew schools. I do say this from experience as I did grow up in East Doncaster and moved to Nth Balwyn in my late teens. Obviously this only applies to PPOR and not the OP thread for investments. It is a catch 22 and I do see the OP predicament. E Donc is a fantastic suburd but for a investment I would prefer a possible sub divide in Boronia

Jezza

umm its because,

its $20k per student x 3 kids x the number of years remaining until they finish year 12, so if that was 6 years, it would cost $360k!!!

also, property prices grow and create equity, while kids grow and do not create equity

umm its because,

its $20k per student x 3 kids x the number of years remaining until they finish year 12, so if that was 6 years, it would cost $360k!!!

also, property prices grow and create equity, while kids grow and do not create equity

Your point? I would not send my kids to a public school if I could afford it - why let them mix with the wrong crowd just for the sake of a few dollars? These sort of mistakes can destroy/affect a young person's life for a very long time. We have family friends who sent their kid to Balwyn High from a private school because it was 'a good school'. While there he turned to drugs and now his life is absolutely stuffed.

Your point? I would not send my kids to a public school if I could afford it - why let them mix with the wrong crowd just for the sake of a few dollars? These sort of mistakes can destroy/affect a young person's life for a very long time. We have family friends who sent their kid to Balwyn High from a private school because it was 'a good school'. While there he turned to drugs and now his life is absolutely stuffed.

my point is, in regards to the comment about why would anyway stretch themselves and live in North Balwyn and have no choice but to send their kids to a public school when you can buy in Doncaster for $100k odd less and use the money and send 3 kids to private schools, thats what is was replying to.

also, you must still be young or grew up in a different state,

because you certainly do not get what you pay for in schooling in VIC,

there are a hell of a lot of good public schools, and a hell of a lot of good private schools but with much worse issues then you get at public schools,.

I won't name which schools I know the problems are bad because im sure each year level is different, I went to both a private school, public school and government school,

and hated the private school and loved the government school, and I did a hell of a lot better there being surrounded by spoilt private school kids

my point is, in regards to the comment about why would anyway stretch themselves and live in North Balwyn and have no choice but to send their kids to a public school when you can buy in Doncaster for $100k odd less and use the money and send 3 kids to private schools, thats what is was replying to.

also, you must still be young or grew up in a different state,

because you certainly do not get what you pay for in schooling in VIC,

there are a hell of a lot of good public schools, and a hell of a lot of good private schools but with much worse issues then you get at public schools,.

I won't name which schools I know the problems are bad because im sure each year level is different, I went to both a private school, public school and government school,

and hated the private school and loved the government school, and I did a hell of a lot better there being surrounded by spoilt private school kids

I also went to a private and state school. In fact, the best academic state school in Victoria (with the exception of Mac Rob, hahaha...geez, we MHS guys hate admitting to it). The issues with state schools is overrated once you get to a top state school like MHS and Macrob. Firstly, who cares if you smoke weed, join gangs, smoke and chase girls at MHS? Most are academic guns and will get decent or top VCE scores regardless (because of their inherent intelligence), go to University and come out with at least a decent job (if not a top job) and be relatively successful. There is a difference between smoking weed and then dropping out of high school (or uni) and working in a factory and smoking weed, but still doing the minimal study, attending your exams and still get a 95+ VCE ENTER because 30mins of study for a typical MHS kid equates to about 1 week of hardcore study for a pea sized brain student out in Melton High (this is for illustrative purposes, haha). In fact, I was one of them...went to MHS, went high on weed, smoked like a chimney, chased girls like chasing fireflies, wagged school to play warcraft, counterstrike, hanged out at Box Hill playing DDR and Para Para, clubbed like there was no tomorrow (as much as an underaged clubber could) and got a decent ENTER close to 99, went to Melb Uni, did a double degree and working now. Already bought a house (judging by the property market, wouldn't be surprised if it is 7 figures now), looking for a 2nd one.

Back