Borrowing capacity questions

Hi guys, I'm new to property investing and just recently found this forum, which is a great bastion of information. I have a few questions and would appreciate your opinions.

Firstly, our situation

We are interested in buying an investment property around the 200-250k mark. I am viewing this as a chance to go get our "foot in the door".

Wife's income - $75k. Due to salary sacrificing arrangements her tax is quite low and take home income is around the 60k mark. She has been in the same job for more than 3 years
My income - only 5k per year in interest

Our savings: 130k.
Our rent expenses: 360/wk. Other living expenses are about average.

Credit cards:
We have never had a late payment
Wife: one cc with a 3k limit
Me: total of 16k limit, willing to drop this or even cancel the cards if need be. We don't use credit cards for credit per se, we use it for frequent flyer points and good exchange rates for online shopping/holidaying.

No debt aside from cc expenses.

Questions:

1. Considering We have only one income, is it realistic to expect to borrow approx 150k for a property?

2. Investment properties, unlike PPORs, provide rental income. So is borrowing capacity greater for investment properties than for PPORs?

I won't take anything anyone says as financial advice, so please be open to telling your opinions!

Just an observation...will leave it to the experts to answer.

You are bringing to the partnership very little income, but lots of debt. Perhaps your wife would be better buying just in her name.

Thanks Aaron and Nemo for the quick replies.

Nemo, that's a really good point and I also wouldn't mind clarification from an expert on that. I always thought that the banks would ask my wife about our overall household situation, which includes my income.

(Edit: yes, only crdit card debt...but that gets payed very month)

I can easily transfer the cash to my wife's account if it would work out better not to 'have me in the picture'.

Edit 2: Oh , another question that I just thought of...

1. What is the advantage of picking a 25 year loan over a 30 year loan? With an offset account, I can't see any advantage of having a shorter loan term?

1. What is the advantage of picking a 25 year loan over a 30 year loan? With an offset account, I can't see any advantage of having a shorter loan term?

If you are ok with money,AND the lender will allow it, take the longest IO period you can get, thence backed by PI extension to 30

so 5 IO + 25 PI or

10 IO + 20 PI

15 IO +20 PI

some lenders will allow extension on the fly without much hassle, some treat it like an inquisition..........

ta
rolf

Back