Bought a house close to Freeway proposal - traffic noise effect?

My offer for a house in Gem Rd Kenmore Qld was just accepted. However, I have found that a Kenmore Bypass Freeway (freeway 90km/hour and reduce to 70km/hour at the Gem Rd based on the Qld Mainroads's feasibility study ) proposal is about above 100 meters from the house. I am afraid that as soon as the Kenmore Bypass is completed, the traffic noise will effect the house.

Does anyone know how bad the noise will effect the house if it is about above 100 metters away the freeway? Actually about 8 house blocks.

How much the house price will be discounted if it is located such close to the freeway?

Would a sound insulation fence will help reducing the noise?

Thanks a lot

Here is a map :) Dotted line is Kenmore Bypass and a star is my house location.

Attachments

• kenmore.jpg
    kenmore.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 568
You've got the construction noise for months. You've got traffic noise forever and increasing as traffic flows increase.
Therefore: hard to tenant, hard to resell if you ever needed to. Sound fences look dreadful.
You have done your DD and it said no-go. Cut this one loose and move on.

Run if you can

Hi Vision

We were looking at houses around the Kenmore area a couple of months back and the only ones where we could get value for money were close to the proposed Kenmore bypass.

we put an offer on a house which had about 1600sq mt land but the backyard was practically touching the centenary highway ( the land size was too much to resist though). Although the house was built on the front side( about 30-40 mts distance between the back fence and the house) , the first thing we noticed was the swoosh of the vehicles as soon as we opened the back glass doors. Luckily our offer which was 50K less than the asking price was rejected cause someone offered 5K more than what i was ready to offer.

However we steered clear of the Gem road sunsett road vicinity after this since we got an idea about the amount of traffic noise in addition to the sooth from the freeway. Also think about the trucks and trailers operating at night. If you look at the proposed kenmore bypass there are gonna be changes made to Gem road as well.

Also there are three proposed Gem road under passes which puts a question mark around what part of gem road would face the brunt of the construction.

The only properties on that road i would be comfortable with are the ones south of scenic road or the ones on the corner of wyndarra st. An the properties i wouldnt even think of touching are the ones between annabel st and sunset rd.

Did you have a clause in your contract stating it is subject to mainroads check? if yes u can use that to pull out

Hope this helps

cheers
Iron

An the properties i wouldnt even think of touching are the ones between annabel st and sunset rd.

Hope this helps

cheers
Iron

Actually, the property I have bought is between annabel st and sunset rd. Can you tell me the reason why you won't touch? My house is on Gem rd about 100m from the freeway

Actually, the property I have bought is between annabel st and sunset rd. Can you tell me the reason why you won't touch? My house is on Gem rd about 100m from the freeway

if you see the three options for the Gem road upgrade it pretty much covers the area from annabel st to sunsett road so you are gonna have construction literally at ur doorstep.

If you look at the Kenmore bypass planning map it is close enuf to the houses between annabel and sunsett to cause enuf pain for people living in those houses. I would be surprised if you do not get vehicle noises from the freeway at night

Heres what i found in their latest approved plan

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/~/m...m/kenmore-bypass-planning-study/gemroadc.ashx

Gem Road connection
Preferred Option: C
Key features:
Realignment of Gem Road through Kingfisher Park
Underpass connects Gem Road more directly to Sunset Road
Shared pedestrian and cyclist underpass on western side of
Gem Road
Intersection upgrades required at:
- Sunset Road / Twilight Street, and
- Annabel Street / Gem Road
Loss of some greenspace on eastern side of Kingfisher Park
Improved flood immunity on Sunset Road.

Advantages of Option C:
Least number of property
impacts
Provides improved conditions
for pedestrians, cars and
buses by reducing steep
grades and improved
alignment
Can be constructed with least
disruption to local traffic flow.

Thank you

Thank you all. Particularily, ironscythe gave me useful information.

Actually, the property is not between between Annabel st and Sunset rd. However, it is 100 m from proposed bypass. I am still concerned about the traffic noise as the Mainroads' Kenmore Bypass Study Plan states traffic noise potentially increases in the residential areas within 200 meters. In addition, if I want to resell it due to financial difficulty during the construction time, I will have problem. Therefore, I withdraw the contract this morning in order to feel comfortable rather doubt about it.

Back