Bought at Auction But Now a Problem

Hey everyone. We bought sheep in an online auction for a certain amount per head only to be told after the auction had finished that no we had not bought the sheep as the reserve price was entered incorrectly into the system. Now this has caused all sorts of problems as there are four parties in this transaction. The buyer (us), the vendor, the vendors agent and the online platform.

Our feeling is that we bought those sheep and they should be delivered at the price we bid to. Is it OK to feel this way or do we give in to the other parties and just let it go? We feel very sorry for the vendor as is not his mistake but it was not our mistake either.

Hey everyone. We bought sheep in an online auction for a certain amount per head only to be told after the auction had finished that no we had not bought the sheep as the reserve price was entered incorrectly into the system. Now this has caused all sorts of problems as there are four parties in this transaction. The buyer (us), the vendor, the vendors agent and the online platform.

Our feeling is that we bought those sheep and they should be delivered at the price we bid to. Is it OK to feel this way or do we give in to the other parties and just let it go? We feel very sorry for the vendor as is not his mistake but it was not our mistake either.

What are the terms and conditions of the auction eg http://localmedia.auctionsplus.com.au/doc/operatingconditions.pdf

Who entered the incorrect reserve price into the system?

But on these conditions it looks like the market operator can make the call and if you're unhappy you would need to take it to arbitration which will have a cost to you. How far off the reserve were you? Can you talk direct to the vendor and reach an agreement between yourselves?

the seller's agent entered the incorrect price, the sale should be valid and the agent responsible for the $$ difference
Bet the agent never told the vendor the sale was complete, just said "your reserve was not reached"

You might have legal recourse to sue the party that made the mistake that caused your loss. How much money are we talking?

I think it is the fault of the person who made the error, so I guess the vendors agent is in the gun. You may have a case but as others have said, you can bet they have a disclaimer somewhere that will get them off the hook.

I am sure you are disappointed but is it worth the angst of pursuing it ?
I don't think I would.

What are the terms and conditions of the auction eg http://localmedia.auctionsplus.com.au/doc/operatingconditions.pdfSpot on

Who entered the incorrect reserve price into the system? Not sure

But on these conditions it looks like the market operator can make the call and if you're unhappy you would need to take it to arbitration which will have a cost to you. How far off the reserve were you? Can you talk direct to the vendor and reach an agreement between yourselves?
Got it all sorted now - please read post below.

the seller's agent entered the incorrect price, the sale should be valid and the agent responsible for the $$ difference

All this got sorted quickly and what Almost Bob has said above happened.
This has restored my trust in the online platform and really they were very good about it. Satisfactory outcome for me but one poor agent doing his nut.

I think it is the fault of the person who made the error, so I guess the vendors agent is in the gun. You may have a case but as others have said, you can bet they have a disclaimer somewhere that will get them off the hook.

I am sure you are disappointed but is it worth the angst of pursuing it ?
I don't think I would.
All good now Macca

Back