Boundary Walls Perth

Hi All,

Can anyone with some planning experience give me some guidance on the typical setback distance of an Alfresco area to a boundary? The boundary in this instance will be a battle-axe driveway of a survey strata property.

I have received conflicting advice with the council stating a 1m setback is required, whilst other advice has suggested alfresco piers could be located on the boundary. I?m assuming the second understanding is based on section 5.1.3 C v. of the R codes which states ? the stated setback distances may be reduced by half the width of an adjoining right-of-way, pedestrian access way, communal street or battleaxe lot access leg, to a maximum reduction of 2m?. The battleaxe driveway width is planned to be 4m.

Does anyone know if this section of the code could be applied in this instance?

Thanks in advance for your advice?..

I believe in the case where the piers can be on the boundary the bit they didn't tell you is that the roof cannot be. You often see this around Perth with parts of the pergolas, garages etc having struts against the fence then some horizontal beams 'open' to 1m then the structure roof from 1m inwards.

Hi All,

Can anyone with some planning experience give me some guidance on the typical setback distance of an Alfresco area to a boundary? The boundary in this instance will be a battle-axe driveway of a survey strata property.

I have received conflicting advice with the council stating a 1m setback is required, whilst other advice has suggested alfresco piers could be located on the boundary. I?m assuming the second understanding is based on section 5.1.3 C v. of the R codes which states ? the stated setback distances may be reduced by half the width of an adjoining right-of-way, pedestrian access way, communal street or battleaxe lot access leg, to a maximum reduction of 2m?. The battleaxe driveway width is planned to be 4m.

Does anyone know if this section of the code could be applied in this instance?

Thanks in advance for your advice?..

As far as the R-Codes are concerned you would comply and therefore not raise the eyebrows of any local government planners as you can use half the width of the access leg up to 2m, as you said. Therefore I see no reason why you can't have the posts on the boundary (because for the purpose of working out the setback, it will actually be 2m) as long as you meet the relevant BCA fire separation requirements.

Back