Bowed bricks

1 of the two houses is bricked. The bricky has done a neat job, however, the bricks are bowed. Some are bowed more than 1 mm and the wall looks wavey. I asked the supervisor and he got the rep from PGH. The rep justified the bowed bricks and said since it's a clinker (red clinker), they will be bowed as they are placed one over the other in the kiln.

This is my first time and not very convinced with the reps reply. I have never seen a house with bowed bricks . :(.

First, I bough a house 5 months ago and just noticed that nearly all the bricks are bowed, height not width ie they look like bananas. The house is thirty years old and providing the bricklayer was able to compensate then apart from the aesthetic view all should/was fine.

As a builder, I'm going to let you in on a big secret in the building game. Whenever something odd happens, it is never, ever a mistake. It is a "feature" :D

So relax, your bricks aren't "bowed" or "seconds quality", they're feature masonry on your custom pimpdaddy house :D

Not slander any companies here, but from my experience, you get what you paying for.

Also on the other note, if a pallet of solid bricks show up, take the bricks apart near the centre and see they haven't baked out, where it looks like a split cake ontop. Engineer told me that because of the split in the middle of the brick it can lose its integrity far quicker and can cause cracks. I can't prove this but this is what they bring it down too sometimes. Also if you look at it and its split ontop it will tell you as well it wouldn't last to long either. And ask for a new pallet.

As a builder, I'm going to let you in on a big secret in the building game. Whenever something odd happens, it is never, ever a mistake. It is a "feature" :D

So relax, your bricks aren't "bowed" or "seconds quality", they're feature masonry on your custom pimpdaddy house :D

You DO sound like the builder :).

You DO sound like the builder :).

Good. Just to let you know, you may see some "feature" cracks appearing in your walls and concrete soon. We do that to make the house look "historic", because you know, houses are like fine wine - they need a little aging. It's a bit like having an antique house, without having to wait so long for it to age. How convenient is that? And we builders don't charge extra for it either. Do not be alarmed. Do not take your builder to court. Everything is normal. Everything. Is. Normal.

:D

Back