BP: "We care about small people."

That is a take from CNN.

WTF! EVERYBODY cares about their workers (read the mission statement), the common folk and the wombats but just don't stand in the way of business.

Do people actually accept these BS statements anymore? I'm not singling out BP. You read it every day.

Last edited:
the whole "feel good" sentiment is b*llsh*t - no matter who you are.

George Soros' Philanthropic arm is b*llsh*t.

Toyota and their Prius are b*llsh*t

BP Solar is b*llsh*t

it's all distraction, selling you on a notion now, a dream, an ideal .... instead of a product.

you won't recognise how bad the product is, if you've already decided to buy it before you're seen it.

yes - the things you learn.

i was test driving some car on wednesday (bought one on thurs but that is another story) and asked what the diff was between the yaris 1.3 and 1.5.

all the dealers i asked told me there is no difference unless going up a steep hill with half a rubgy pack on board, the two difference levels are purely a psycological marketing ploy to capture a larger share of the market.

didn't buy a yaris - hated the readouts being in the middle of the dash.

I'm sure some / many people must accept it otherwise why would companies continue to invest in such advertisement / editorial comment.

The ads that really really get me angry are the Chevron "Human Energy" ones. The ones that go one about exploration and helping communities and children and about their deep sea drilling records without any ANY environmental impact........give me a break.

Interestingly I haven't seen them on in a long while since the BP disaster.

I work for a major international IT company who have a set of defined and published 'values', and amongst the executives when something needs to get done in hurry they get thrown out the window without a second thought.

Last edited:
just don't stand in the way of business.

Do people actually accept these BS statements anymore?

Exactly right. Having worked for a few large oil companies, including a Dutch super-major overseas for a few years, it used to drive me nuts having all of these namby pamby hangers on, advising the big chiefs on what to say and how to "get the right message out".

What really drove me nuts was the people doing the advising wouldn't know what a rig was if they fell over it. What was bitterly disappointing was the excuses for bosses who actually lapped that **** up and went forth sprouting their contrived nonsense.

They'd put self imposed obstacles in our way just to show someone else that they were "doing the right thing". We'd be ordered to jump through the hoops like good lap dogs. Big boss would move on or get promoted or shuffled sideways, then all of his advisers would get run off, and we'd be left to get on with the real work unimpeded.....until the next hand wringer came along.

Just for once, just once, it would have been nice if one of the chiefs told the HSE manager and the Legal manager to sit down and shut-up for once.....just long enough to get the message out that "Look, we are digging this stuff out of the ground cos every swinging cat on two legs refuses to ;

a) Walk
b) Sit in the dark
c) Turn their computers off
d) Go and get their own food
e) Stop buying stuff made of plastic

We'll gladly listen to anyone who walks to the demonstration and then goes back to their hovel and sits in their cold wet hole in the ground.

Until then, enjoy the fruits of our labours, go back in your car to your nice warm and bright home with all it's mod cons, and get off our back."

The other thing that used to irk me was people whinging about the cost of it at $ 1.30 / litre, but were more than happy to pay $ 5.00 / litre for sparkling water with their lunch.

Image baby....she's all about perception and image. What BP really needs is Kevin Rudd to go over to the US and give 'em a bit of his spin, he'll have it sorted in no time at all.

ahhhhh....that's lovely off the chest. :)

Yes, I must concur with the above statements.

You can't tell me that a BP or other similar company are only about making money from digging black stuff out of the ground, and they will do only as little as they legally have to to get 'er done and satisfy the EPA wangers..

Being in (big) business is all about creating a perception that will become reality.

The latest NAB ad is one example.

Their slogan is "More give; less take".

Now, the perception is that they are giving more back to their customers.

But hang on; their half yearly profit is in the billion range I'm told. Now, if they were giving back, this would not generate much of a profit at all. Just like a non-profit organisation would be doing.

They ARE giving back; to their shareholders - as they should.

But don't BS me; say that and stop wanging on about how warm and cosy they are with their customers.

"More give and less take" is exactly what they are doing though; the trick in the words is in who's giving and who's taking.

I have no idea who he is talking about?

Who identifies with being a "small" person?

Is he saying he cares about toddlers? Perhaps dwarfs?

Or did he just look in the mirror as he stepped out of the shower one day? :p

And who cares anyway? Companies can't care - they're not a sentient being...

An irrelevant statement at best and completely patronising at worst. You would think someone in his position would think a little before opening his mouth...

Do people actually accept these BS statements anymore? I'm not singling out PB. You read it every day.
And I'm yet to comment lol :p

What I do find intriguing is that none of the other (US) companies Haliburton, Transocean involved dont seem to get much mention.

And I'm yet to comment lol :p

What I do find intriguing is that none of the other (US) companies Haliburton, Transocean involved dont seem to get much mention.

BP has two major problems: They aren't US and they aren't too big to fail.

The Yanks hate foreigners. Remember the outpouring of bile against the French a few years ago because they were too smart to get sucked into America's wars?

The latest NAB ad is one example.

Their slogan is "More give; less take".

Now, the perception is that they are giving more back to their customers.

But hang on; their half yearly profit is in the billion range I'm told. Now, if they were giving back, this would not generate much of a profit at all. Just like a non-profit organisation would be doing.

They ARE giving back; to their shareholders - as they should.

But don't BS me; say that and stop wanging on about how warm and cosy they are with their customers.

"More give and less take" is exactly what they are doing though; the trick in the words is in who's giving and who's taking.

more give - from the customers
less take - from the shareholders

so it's not incorrect, per se....

Back