Break Lease in WA - Questions

Yes pretty much, if you give the 21 days notice and actually hand back the keys as per the notice.

You should stop paying rent after you vacate and see what they do. If they advertise and chase the higher rent, then you aren't liable for any further rent.

But like I said, possibly still liable for pro-rate advertising and letting fee costs. It depends what the new tenant is paying and for how long.

Hi all,
I've been lurking a while now absorbing heaps of great info in all the threads. Some great stuff!
A question for you.
I'm currently breaking a lease with eight months to go and they've advertised the rent at 520pw (we currently pay 500pw) had a bit of interest but no applications. After a week and a bit they have lowered it back to 500.
I'd be interested in your opinion on where we stand? Pretty much be paying until they fill it?
Thanks in advance.

Some great people sharing info on here!

I'm currently breaking a lease with eight months to go and they've advertised the rent at 520pw (we currently pay 500pw) had a bit of interest but no applications. After a week and a bit they have lowered it back to 500.
I'd be interested in your opinion on where we stand? Pretty much be paying until they fill it?

I'm assuming you've already left the house (although that wasn't clear). The short version is probably that you would be liable for any vacant period where it was advertised at $500 a week - but probably not for any period where it was advertised for higher.

That's a very short analysis though. You should probably call someone in my team on 9221 0088 during office hours and they can give you more detailed legal advice.

Hi all,
I've been lurking a while now absorbing heaps of great info in all the threads. Some great stuff!
A question for you.
Thanks in advance.

Some great people sharing info on here!

I would say that probably clears you of your obligations to keep paying given they advertised it at a higher rent.

thatbum should be able to confirm.

cheers

Thanks for the replies.
I should clarify we are still in the house and have 18 days before we move out.

The agent told us if they rented it at 520 we would be able to stop paying on the move out date but if they had to lower it back to 500 (which they have) we would be liable for the rent until the next tenant starts paying.
Cheers,

Thanks for the replies.
I should clarify we are still in the house and have 18 days before we move out.

The agent told us if they rented it at 520 we would be able to stop paying on the move out date but if they had to lower it back to 500 (which they have) we would be liable for the rent until the next tenant starts paying.
Cheers,

That actually sounds about right, as long as they advertise for 500 at the time that you leave the property.

Back