Breakdown of Subdivision Process Pls

Evening All,

Chasing information on the general pros/ cons and underpinning process of doing a subdivision and associated costs.

We have 3 IP's which have all been buy, renovate, reval and tennant. All geared positive. These are all buy/ hold for long term.

After working my a solute guts out on these over last 18months working fulltime and doing these renos looking into Subdivion strategy to gain some chunks of dollar dollar bills to put into more buy/ hold deals.

The way I have it on paper at the minute is-
1. Buy block that has old house at front or back of block (looking around 1000sqm mark)
2. While subdivision process is underway perform cosmetic reno on existing house (basic paint/ kitchen/ bathroom) and put tenant in.
3. Once subdivision is complete sell a) empty block of land b) existing house

I have no idea on what sort of time frame I should be factoring in and cost of executing a subdivsion.

Also is there a general rule of thumb for return on investment with this strategy that people work back on when putting offers in for applicable purchases?

Cheers

If you're getting started with learning about developments, the first step will be getting a fairly good handle on the subdivision requirements under the R-codes. Have you had a look there?

I spent 6 months getting to know those before I even tried to tackle feasibilities.

Had a look around 3months ago for a few hours but wouldn't say I studied them.

We are not looking to build or develop. Simply evolve our strategy from pure Reno, to Reno and subdivide. We are not looking to build on the new block just offload as a vacant lot.

Last edited:
MTR and Basha the links were quite helpful.

Has left me on the fence whether or not to pursue or continue with current strategy.

flowcharts attached

Attachments

• Building Strata flowchart.pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Survey Strata Subdivision Flowchart - Cottage Engineering.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 152
Back