Breake of Lease- Repossession

Hi,

I have recently had a break lease situation in my IP in WA.

First the tenants left the premisses and most of their possessions behind.

No rent has been paid since than and "someone" dropped the key back into the real estate office and left straight away (Im assuming a friend of the couple)

I had the locks changed nevertheless, However over a weekend Im assuming the tenants, smashed a window at the back of the house, got in and removed their furniture items, yet left a whole pile of rubbish, food, not to mention the garden needing a cleaning up.

My question is:
They have left the premises and removed all their items, can I take possession? get the place cleaned up and re-rent it out? Instead of sitting around waiting for a court order.

My PM believes we have to go through the courts to get bond back and take back possession of the property.

Any thoughts?

I have not put a claim in for Landlords insurance as yet, is it worth doing so?

I have put this in Two Threads seeing it pertains to PM and Legal issues.

Cheers

Wirra

It should have been advertised already.
If losses are not being mitigated it will void your insurance claim.

Yes put on market - like yesterday!

Bond claim first then insurance claim so that you know what to claim for above bond.

You should have it rented first and doing bond and insurance claims in the background later.

Your pm needs to be way more proactive!

we would have called the police, and reported a break and enter...basically to cover ourselves.

you don't know for sure, the tenants are the ones who removed the furnishings.
They may put a claim in, and say you disposed of them, and want compensation.

Reactions: S.T
we would have called the police, and reported a break and enter...basically to cover ourselves.

you don't know for sure, the tenants are the ones who removed the furnishings.
They may put a claim in, and say you disposed of them, and want compensation.

Yes, i would of done the same!

I'd also be getting on the front foot and cleaning up (keep receipts for claim against bond if appropriate) and looking to advertise and get new tenants in.

Back