Breaking into commercial property

Best way to break in?

• Crowbar on the side door

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Via the toilet windows

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
Hi everyone,

I'm a uni student studying commerce and majoring in real estate at UNSW. I am interested in working within property when i graduate in a development management or analyst role). I know its a long shot but surely a few members here have worked in these types of roles before?

What tips do you have for that initial entry into the industry? I hope to get a part time or internship role whilst i complete my degree but have found this extremely difficult. I don't have any property related experience apart from being a director in my uni's real estate society. Should i complete a certificate of registration and apply for basic real estate agency admin roles or do i continue to cold call valuation companies etc in the hope that they will offer me an internship.

I would love the opportunity to gain an insight to the industry (be it a small or large company) but i just haven't found that luck yet. It seems that selling myself on my passion for real estate alone isn't enough by itself.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Daniel

Even though we have many years of experience between us and a great passion for real estate, most of us do it as their second, and not as their primary, job.
I'm not saying that it's impossible to start in real estate full time and be successful, but maybe you shouldn't expect to.

My personal choice is a crowbar on the side door, but a stolen flatbed truck reversed into the roller door also works (unless they have anti ram bollards)

Property is a big industry, you might want to be more specific with your selection:

- property management
- property leasing
- development
- financing
- sales

Need to consider where you want to go with your career.

Property is a big industry, you might want to be more specific with your selection:

- property management
- property leasing
- development
- financing
- sales

Need to consider where you want to go with your career.

Development would be my first preference

Development would be my first preference

Do your agents rep course and then approach real estate agents offering to be a casual employee for their rental department, to do opens on weekends, weeknights etc, let tradies in whatever. Agents always looking for options to cover the busy periods when lots of opens or inspections due, having someone on call without the fixed cost is a good option for them. In our Melbourne office we have someone pretty much who fits your description and he picks up $25k a year on a casual basis. He started just doing open for inspections for rental properties but as his experience has grown and the relationships with tenants and landlords strengthened his role has increased. He is studying real estate full time so it works perfectly for him.

In your situation you would ask to work on some commercial rentals as well and you will start to met landlords and developers and from there you can build relationships and possibly get a job that way.

Good luck.

Do your agents rep course and then approach real estate agents offering to be a casual employee for their rental department, to do opens on weekends, weeknights etc, let tradies in whatever. Agents always looking for options to cover the busy periods when lots of opens or inspections due, having someone on call without the fixed cost is a good option for them. In our Melbourne office we have someone pretty much who fits your description and he picks up $25k a year on a casual basis. He started just doing open for inspections for rental properties but as his experience has grown and the relationships with tenants and landlords strengthened his role has increased. He is studying real estate full time so it works perfectly for him.

In your situation you would ask to work on some commercial rentals as well and you will start to met landlords and developers and from there you can build relationships and possibly get a job that way.

Good luck.

Awesome advice, thanks so much !

Want to break in? Here's one way. Start a fake $2 company- false names etc. Have 3 months cash rental upfront- agent won't look too closely at things. Rent your Industrial shed for storage purposes. Pay rent promptly whilst you use the premises to store old tyres so as to avoid paying tip disposal fees. Works well for asbestos too. Once you have it packed to the rafters lock it up, wind up the company-not that it really matters- and disappear. The money you have made from your saved fees operating your waste disposal business more than covers the rental and set up costs (ps landlord not to know about your waste disposal business under another company name-use unmarked trucks) and leave a tidy profit with the fatcat landlord footing the bill for the ultimate disposal of the waste.

Alternatively on a serious note-try working in a commercial property real estate agency.

Daniel, you should reach out to 'jmillar' on the forum. He's a young investor who works in the Commercial RE industry.

Back