Breaking Lease - How to Advertise for Tenant

I have a very unique situation where I have to break the lease of a place I had very recently (Sat 17th) signed and paid bond. I havn't even lived one night in the place.. I was in the process of moving into it still .. now I'm moving back into my 'old/current' place.

If you want the story - PM me as it is rather long and involved.

(Basically the real estate agent of my current place stuffed up by giving me a notice to leave and didn't tell the landlady who wants me to stay and never leave)

Anyway, I have to find a tenant for the other place that I am now not planning to live within (stay at my current place)...... I don't want the RE Agent of that new place to do any work so as I can have a good possibility of getting all my bond back.

Where can I (the tenant) advertise to get another tenant for the property?

I've posted the listing on emailcash classifieds, at work, on domain.com.au ($132 approx cost) and will be posting my ad daily on myspace ...... where else that won't cost me an arm and a leg to advertise can I advertise ???

If I get the Real Estate agent to do it I know I will loose alot of rent. Granted, I have grounds to demand the Real Estate agent the stuffed up (and I have the landlady behind me on this) to re-imburse me any loss in bond money from the other place (like I said, PM me if you want the story).

Or should I just get the Real Estate agent to do it (find a tenant so I can break the lease) and since I have the landlady behind me just re-coup my costs from the Real Estate agent that stuffed up?

I don’t think you can leave the PM out altogether, after all PM has to receive application and prepare paperwork on Agency Stationery.

They have to check eligibility, income and do background check for past record.

Reimbursement might be tricky too, but with willing parties might be satisfactory for you.
If PM digs in, will be more difficult.
Good luck

I think your ciurrent PM (who appears to have stuffed up in a big way) should sort something out with your "new" PM. If I understand your story correctly you only took on a new lease as you thought you were not being offered another lease on your curent home.

Seems like you are paying for some-one else's mistake. That being said I don't think the other owner or PM should be penalised.

I think current PM should sort out the mess and carry all or a good share of the costs as she seems to be acting without the owners authority.

Nice to know that you are so popular with your Landlady :D

I think maybe you should just tell the PM, with rental demand the way it is I'm sure they will have someone line dup within days.

Currently, when shortage of renting places even got PM John Howard to comment, there should be stack of applications of prospective tenants lined up to find place to rent.

Should PM allege difficulties to find one, could be sign of profiteering.

Just a quick update on the whole situation.

I paid two weeks rent trying to find someone to take on the least myself before I officially went into the office and signed the papers to break lease. Now, I kept paying rent on the Monaco St property (I never lived within) for three whole entire weeks on top of that initial two weeks rent (five weeks rent total).

Three whole weeks after I officially broke lease..... This was starting to put a strain on me financially as I was paying that $250 per week rent on top of the $225 I'm paying where I live now..... so I rang up Rental Rewards (the 'scheme' L J Hooker Southport was using for me to pay the rent) and cancelled paying any more rent with the truth: I don't live there why should I pay any rent.

It's been over a month now since I did that action. Shouldn't I have heard from them within days after my rent was due or even within a fortnight's time ? I havn't heard a peep from them in all this time.....

I was so PO-ed by the whole situation that I have NOT been back over to the Monaco St unit (I was supposed to live within but never did). I've been told that I should actually go back to the unit and see if someone has tenanted it. If there is a tenant to ask them when they moved within the unit (when they offically took on the lease)... as I have been told that if they moved in whilst I was still paying ANY money in rent... I have a case.

I must admit that after two weeks of officially breaking lease on the place I did ring them up. They told me they had not found anyone as yet.

Would they have seriously screwed me over like that if I kept paying the rent ? I would have thought as well that due to the demand for rentals that within the WEEK of me breaking lease they would have found someone.

I know when I was looking way back then that there were a few "breaking lease" offerings and they were snapped up within days of being offered!

Will keep everyone updated.

I certainly think that as your primary PM made an error, they should take some of the responsibility for sorting out this situation with the second PM. You are so out of pocket for this, and it's not your fault. And I would check (visually) at the 2nd premises to see if it has a tenant.

Another Update

I stopped paying rent on this other place (Monaco St, Broadbeach) many many weeks ago. Guess who rang me today saying I have money out-standing.

You heard me. It took this particular rental management agent (PM me if you want the name) after I officially signed the papers to break the lease four extra weeks on top of the rent I had already paid (the three weeks) making a grand total of 8 weeks for them to find someone to take on the lease.

I stopped paying them because I was in real desparate financial trouble due to having to pay the rent on that place as well as rent on the place I was actually living within damnit! If I could afford to pay another four weeks worth of rent ($1000) I would have done so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not flushed with money damnit (I'm trying my damn hardest to save money so I can be a PI myself so right now at the beginning I'm not flushed with money).

Just thought everyone should know how incompetant this property manager actually is because it took them so damn long to find another tenant for that particular property.

As someone who wants to invest in property I know damn sure I won't be using them (and I have very good/long memory so I won't be forgetting about this anytime soon).

Last edited:
I have learnt ALOT about property management from the whole Monaco St situation. If I ever have any properties locally, it is best to rent privately and to try to establish a relationship with the tenant where the tenant (like me) doesn't feel intimidated by me as a landlady. When the tenant knows they can go to you and that you give a damn, that makes them house-proud IMO (as it does me).

I'm also learning alot about property managers. I know that when I have to use the services of one (as I would love to have a few property investments in Darwin) that I will be keeping a damn good eye on them ... yet still try to have a relationship with the tenant.

I can see how being more than just a name to the tenant as a landlady and showing them that I give a crap can work in my favour (as the landlady).

Yes indeed I'm learning heaps.

Just wish these property managers (the real estate agencies) would realise there are alot of people who are currently renters who plan to invest then buy their own home thru the money that they have made/make from their investments thus it pays to not treat them like crap... and to do you 'job' properly.

8 weeks!!!!! That's beyond ridiculous in my books for finding another tenant! Even in slow times as such (and February when I originally broke lease is not a slow time as far as I am aware).

Back