Brenda Irwin on a Current Affair

Congrat's guys, it was a pleasure viewing the segment. I nearly missed it...i think i missed first couple of moments or possibly the introduction due to our reliable public transport system....these trains over the last two weeks are disgraceful, fortunately i just arrived home in time to view the remainder of the segment.

Congrat's again guys and a pat on the back for both of you, it is certainly achievable after watching your story and an inspiration.

Learner :)

Brenda
You looked fab .. love to hear about the home schooling some time.

Les looked great too.

In my division of labour with my husband .. we both hate reno, he is great at maintenance and plumbing and small to medium jobs like new fences.

I do all the finances .. and most of the finding ... though he found the best deal we have ever found (but only because he came looking with me).

Brenda, just caught the end of it after burning fat at the gym.

Les and you came across as salt of the earth, and made it all seem so easy.

Not trying to be critical, but I laughed when the interviewer asked you whether there was any risk involved. You said not really, but then started to talk about how if you couldn't get or keep tenants, then you are stuffed. But they edited that short quick smart.

Hi all,

Brenda I saw the whole segment and you and les came across very well, you can breath easier now.

I just have a question for you on your future plans. How are you going to cope with the land tax that will inevitable arise??? Are you planning interstate investments??

bye

This is no reflection on Brenda and Les and the great job they've done, but I'm a bit surprised that ACA are still running real estate success stories. I had the feeling that real estate was last months news.

John.

Just another message of congratulations to Brenda & Les. Well done guys. Very inspiring indeed and good luck to both of you, I'm sure you'll get that 100 in no time at all.

Regards

Marty

Missed it :(

But read API, so I'm sure I got the drift.

Isn't it funny - last week - all doom and gloom, how prices have dropped, investors being burnt, this week Brenda and success.....

Ever get the feeling they have no idea ?

Bill

Re land tax in Q'land , you can avoid it, better than in most states.

Each entitiy has a threshold, so all you have to do is split your properties between various trust funds and hey presto , no land tax.

See Change

Originally posted by sbe
Isn't it funny - last week - all doom and gloom, how prices have dropped, investors being burnt, this week Brenda and success.....

Ever get the feeling they have no idea ?

Sbe,

It's not about having an idea, it's about ratings :)

Who cares if the information is accurate, if a story has lots of drama, aspiration or human interest it'll get on the air.

Never make the mistake of assuming that the media is there to educate and inform. It's there to make money :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Speaking as a former tv current affairs journo, it was an easy score as the bones of the story were already laid out in another publication. Much less initial legwork for the journo. Multiple people and locations available (essential for a feature-length tv piece.) It has an everyman/woman quality. It has cute kids. And it's a warm fuzzy. :D

"Why look a gift horse in the gob?" was probably the overriding consideration.

"And it's a warm fuzzy."

Gotta get those warm and fuzzies.

Hero stories always go down well too. I can't remember the number of times Ray Martin kept on referring to firemen as "our heroes" a few years ago. "How does it feel to be an Australian hero?" Errrr, just fine thanks Ray. How does it feel to embarass me on tv and overbeat a story every night Ray?

Hiya See_Change,

"Re land tax in Q'land , you can avoid it, better than in most states.

Each entitiy has a threshold, so all you have to do is split your properties between various trust funds and hey presto , no land tax."

Good info. I was wondering about that. I thought that perhaps the SRO might still group depending on the individual acting as appointer or perhaps director of the trustee. If they don't that is excellent as we can milk the 170K threshhold per entity.

Thanks - Gordon

A big thankyou to all for your congratulations.

Hopefully the next issue of API magazine will be out so you can see the final part of Les and my story.

It will have a full chart of all rents, debts and market values.

Those who like maths will have a ball.

PS That was not my car in the TV story, It twas my PM's. We only have a little white 1990 Corolla Hatch. All my rellies were ringing me last nite asking about my new car on TV.:)

What was the general consensus on the report (I found out after the event).

Oops - realised I hadn't scrolled through all the messages & can't find the delete button :)

Cheers

Congratulations Brenda. It was a great story.

But if it became more difficult to convince agaents that you were just a first timer after the API mag came out, it's going to be impossible now.

Hi seech,

Thanks for that, it explains a lot. However you still have extra costs because of all the trusts you have to set up and run, but with the growth Brenda has had it is well and truely worth it.

bye

Back