Brick veneer ?

Hi,

I just saw a house on the weekend that the agent said was brick veneer. I've done some googling and it sounds like this construction method is ok, but I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions on brick veneer. e.g. pros and cons, compared to full brick, etc.

Thanks,
Moe

The *great* majority of houses in Melbourne are brick veneer.

Doublebrick and weatherboard tend only to be found in older properties, or where owners have built their own homes and have chosen double (or mud for that matter!) brick or other materials out of their personal preference.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Its unusual to see a house less than about 30 years old that *isn't* brick veneer in SA.

WA is the outlier. They be weird over there :p

Not sure what you're after? Brick veneer is pretty stock standard. Double brick would be found in older ferderation style houses etc.

Oh, I see. Thanks guys. I guess around my area (Ashfield, NSW), the houses are fairly old, so I'm used to seeing either double brick or weather-board homes.

When inside this house, when you put your hand against the walls, it gives a little. i.e. the walls feel a little soft. I'm guessing this is normal with a brick veneer house ?

The walls shouldn't really feel soft internally, but back to the brick veneer, at one time they did have an imitation brick veneer cladding that went over fibro type houses, you can usually pick this around windows etc. or by checking under house, as it won't look like conventional brick.:)

When inside this house, when you put your hand against the walls, it gives a little. i.e. the walls feel a little soft. I'm guessing this is normal with a brick veneer house ?

Shouldn't be that soft....you are pressing against is a gyprock plaster board with timber frame behind it - but this shouldn't be any different to a weatherboard house (brick veneer is just using a single layer of bricks instead of weatherboard).

Cheers,

The Y-man

No, the timber framed walls should not "give a little". They should feel solid. Perhaps you are pressing against some repaired gyprock between studs?

In brick veneer construction, it is the timber (or steel) wall framing that supports the roof framing. The external brickwork is just a veneer and has no structural bearing at all. The stud wall frames are braced (galvanised straps or ply sheets) meaning that they are incredibly rigid.

I hope that this helps a little!

JJ

Back