Bridging a storm water drain and sewer pipe

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a block of land which has DA to build 2 stand alone houses in Bardon in Brisbane. I think it could be a great deal (I know both the agent and the vendor are keen to sell) although there are some hurdles but if I can get over them I think there could be money to be made.

Anyway, one of the biggest possible hurdles is that across the middle of one of the lots there is a storm water drain that crosses a sewer pipe. I have spoken to a storm water engineer who said it will need to be bridged so that the council can inspect it at their convenience. I was advised to talk to a structural engineer to get an idea of the costs of this but when I did that they told me to contact a builder as they would be better. My problem is I dont know any builders well and I dont just want to get one out of the yellow pages. So basically, Im asking, has anyone had to bridge a SW pipe or a sewer or both? If so, how much did it cost? Or, failing that, can anyone recommend any builders in Brisbane who might have experience of this kind of thing. Thanks a lot.
Shona

Hello Shona

I recently had a similar problem. On a duplex block in Caboolture I had both the sewer and the storm water criss-crossing the block where I wanted to put a duplex. Had to make the choice of either 'bridging' the sewerline or 'realigning' the sewer line to another location.

My finances decided for me and I went with the sewer realignment as it was easier/cheaper to do. It involved end-capping off the current sewer line, and running a new line along the fence line and two man holes.

I had a chat to Cab Water shire engineer who gave some excellent advice. What to do: Gets plans drawn up, Submit an operational works application to council for review and perusal. Pay council money...

I then got a civil engineering/townplanning/surveying mob to draw up plans showing a plan view of the block of land and where the current sewer position and the new proposed position of the sewer will be located. BTW each change in grade, change in direction needs a mandatory manhole/inspection pit. The proposed sewer line is now located as close to my boundary line as possible. Both the man holes are now hidden in garden beds. Council are happy with the accessibility and I am happy as they are hidden by plants from a visual appearance perspective.

Then I spent $50.00 to get a list of builders/plumbers/drainers in the local area from www.bsa.qld.gov.au so I could tender this work out. I phoned a bunch of them and and asked if they can do the job. Short listed down to five and interviewed them. Sent copies of plans and to quote the job. The drainers were very knowledgeable.

Cost just over $14K and a slab of VB. Work was completed in 2 days. Approvals/Inspections took 2 weeks.....

I had 8 guys on site, two excavators, one bobcat, two dumpy trucks and a partridge in a pear tree.....BTW and a dozen cans strewn around the site.. hehehe

Aza

Attachments

• Sewer Relocation-A.jpg
    Sewer Relocation-A.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 229
Back