Brilliant Idea for Cyclists

+$500 for a single use! Yeesh!

I have several helmets, some costing $400+. What price do you put on your head?

As for single use - all helmets are 'single use'. Once you have an impact, even if there is no visible damage, you should still replace it.

In July, I was involved in a bike crash at 45km/hr+ in the wet. I bunny hopped over a fallen rider, hit the front wheel on the ground first, which caused me to bounce and went right over the handlebars, landing right on my head and shoulder. The helmet was crushed right in, and I believe saved my life. I ended up relatively unscathed with only a dislocated shoulder and some skin off (and a headache)- but it could have been much worse.

Im fully convinced that helmets save lives. I don't think I would use this product.

pinkboy:cool:

Just saw that come up on my news feed too. Wonder if it be accepted by the police as a valid form of helmet?

If it doesn't have an Australian Standard sticker - it aint approved! Australia has the most stringent helmet standards in the world, and is acknowledged so in international racing.

pinkboy

It's a neat idea, but I'd be concerned about:
1) Riding my mountain bike and doing a tricky jump which tripped the sensors causing the airbag to inflate; and
2) Having a crash where my head was dragged along the ground thus pulling back the airbag and sustaining injury.

I have a quite old bike helmet, and I'll keep using that.

Hi VYBerlinaV8,

Good point re: 1 & 2.

I can't see this product being approved in oz and as pinkboy rightly pointed out
Australia has the most stringent helmet standards in the world

Cheers Spades.

I can see it being used in Europe where helmets aren't mandatory.. but not here.

I wouldn't be comfortable using it there either. It's like driving around in a car with no seat belt and expecting the airbags to save you. What if the electrics on this thing fail? I prefer the feel of hot itchy foam/plastic on my head ;)

Back