#BringBackBarry

Sad thing is that NSW has lost a second very good premier . Nick Griener was the best premier NSW has had . Undone by a discredited idiot Terry Metherill .

I've been a swinging voter all my life . The best government is a combination or liberal business sense and labour social values . We can't get those at the same time , so we swing from one to the other .

But the last six year have turned me into a perpetual liberal voter . Why ? Because labour have NO SENSE OF ETHICS .

They get up one their soap box and bleat on about a social conscious and doing things for the little people but what is the reality .

We have had the most corrupt NSW government in living memory .

We have labour putting in a leader , while he was politically very effective, he obviously didn't have the management skills to run the country . So the Labour Party put him to win , and then when they think they might loose they kick him out .

That is our role . We voted for him . It is the right of people to kick him out .

So they put in a leader who lies her way back to office , then relies of a discredited labour flunky who lies through his teeth to keep them in power .

If the Labour Party had shown one hundredth the integrity that Barry O'farrell or Nick Griner has shown , they would have been out of government shortly after the preceding election .

But no . They will do anything they can to hang on to power .

It sad that people who support the Labour Party actually believe they have the moral high ground , and in many areas of policy I believe they are right. The reality is different .

The Labour Party have shown them selves to be only interested in doing one thing and that is to cling to power regardless of the price they pay. A bunch of hypocritical ......heads.

A bottle of wine . The residents of NSW are the people who will pay the price .

#BringBackBarry .

.... End dummy spit .....

Cliff

Being that you're a Sydney fan, based on the title of the thread I thought this was a Barry Hall thread.

I didn't like BO. He was big on the BS, just like alot of other MPs.

As they say, BS is like dog shat, the more you play with it, the worse it stinks.

I didn't like BO. He was big on the BS, just like alot of other MPs.

As they say, BS is like dog shat, the more you play with it, the worse it stinks.

What sort of BS ? Actually starting to do things after how many years of labour inaction.

No politician is perfect but I'd put up Barry or nick Griener up against Eddie obeid , Ian macdonald , Craig Thompson , joe Trepodi any day . All fine upstanding labour members from NSW.

Look back over the last ten plus years and see how NSW has gone backward under labour , while all the labour flunkies have looked after themselves .

If you'd had the opportunity to talk to anyone who's involved in the NSW public service since labour got into power , you would be surprised at how they are impressed how the liberal party have been working behind the scenes at actually working out what has been going on in NSW and how to fix it .

My only hope is that their next leader continues on with the example that Barry has set in terms of actually managing the state rather than being concerned with making the correct political sounds .

Cliff

A lot of public servants hated his guts. He ripped them off - cut wages and conditions. He made TAFE more expensive and will be even worse in the future. Not fair for the poorer younger generation trying to better themselves through education.

He would have to be one of the biggest BS artist I have seen in a long time. Seeing him on TV denying any knowledge about the wine just made me laugh. What's he got to hide? Not saying the politicians on the other side are much better.

What we need is politicians who are not in it for themselves.

A lot of public servants hated his guts. He ripped them off - cut wages and conditions. He made TAFE more expensive and will be even worse in the future. Not fair for the poorer younger generation trying to better themselves through education.

He would have to be one of the biggest BS artist I have seen in a long time. Seeing him on TV denying any knowledge about the wine just made me laugh. What's he got to hide? Not saying the politicians on the other side are much better.

What we need is politicians who are not in it for themselves.

This whole post doesn't make any sense? As per usual, it's the Libs who have to come in and fix up the budget, pay the debt back, and generally get things in shape again. Labor is generally run by ex union members or school teachers and other public servants who have never run a business before. As See-change says, labor has supposed high social values to uphold, being fair and all, and I understand all that but it makes for irresponsible management of an economy.

Its easy to borrow money you don't own and spend, spend, spend. It's much harder to manage an economy responsibly.

If politicians were only in it for themselves, they'd be spending up using borrowed money, staying popular with everyone to guarantee re-election, running up greater and greater deficits and generally not giving a stuff about how anyone pays back the debt?

As I said in another thread a few days ago, any monkey can throw borrowed money at the masses.

Great thread Seech. And I agree, Barry was a great man and doing a great job. A tough job. Any responsibly run government is going to upset public servants. That's how it goes as there is no endless money tree.

See ya's.

I'm with Seech and TC on this one ... I think he's done a great job considering the absolute mess the Liberals were left with when they came into office.

Interesting that he came undone by a $3,000 bottle of wine in an investigation into many millions of dollars of corrupt Labor spending.

Not least of which was the $10billion unreported treasury deficit error (or was it more?).

Same as the federal government is doing atm ... unfortunately if we, as a country, live outside our means then we have to cut back ... and when we've overspent for so long the cutbacks have to be even harder to bring the finances back onto even keel.

Simple accounting ... I am sad to see him go, as I was Nick Greiner way back when ... both of them had the ability to make NSW a "premier" state ... hope the replacement is just as good

First thing, it's Labor, not Labour.

Secondly, if I lived in NSW I wouldn't be voting Labor either.

Thirdly, it WASN'T a bottle of wine that brought down Barry, it was his evidence - under oath - to ICAC.

If he had said to ICAC that he received the wine, or that he may have received the wine, or he didn't rememeber the wine, he would still be Premier.

He said, "I?m certain I would remember receiving a bottle of Penfolds, particularly one that was my birth year.??

?I would understand a vintage of the 1950s would require me to declare it to my ministerial declaration and parliamentary declaration.?? (Which wasn't done)

Mr Watson then put to the Premier his phone call to Mr Di Girolamo.

I don?t know about this phone call but what I do know is (if) I received a bottle of Penfold Grange I would have known about it and I did not receive a bottle of Penfold Grange,?

From that evidence, when the note turned up, he had to go. I don't think he's a bad guy or corrupt, unlike Obeid and McDonald. but he had no choice.

What he should have done is given himself some wiggle room like Mr Sinodinos did. "I don't recall" is your best friend in these inquiries.

Sinodinos would have us believe he didn't know that the company he was chairing was paying political donations to the political party where he was treasurer. I find this hard to believe, but it can't be proven otherwise (not yet anyway).

In contrast it was proven inconclusively yesterday that Barry's evidence was wrong.

I know a lot of people involved in the NSW public service - working jobs that provide important essential services to the people of NSW such as nurses, police, fire fighters, ambulance officers, corrective services workers, social workers... and I agree with Datto, most of them "hated his guts". Granted though, I am basing my statement on only the people I have talked to.

Since the Libs have been in, I've notices closures of maternity and children's wards in regional hospitals; gaol closure (Grafton) costing many jobs for that community; redundancies to frontline workers eg. electricity workers (expect more and longer 'blackouts' as maintenance has to be put on the back burner - how much are the govt making out of the electricity suppliers though??); fire station closures; reduced police numbers (I'd hate to be the victim of a serious crime in regional NSW where Police simply aren't being rostered on at certain times to save money and police from other regional centres have to travel vast distances to tend to the call - if they aren't over-backlogged already); slashing of courses and numbers of TAFE places.

Sorry, but these are important services that need to be provided.

How about the pollies (both sides and at all levels) start to save money by addressing their own overinflated pay and entitlements before hitting the community first.

Of course Labor spend more money when they're in power - it costs to have to tend to years of neglect of infrastructure and services.

I was a public servant. I had a cut to my annual pay increase from 4% to 2.5%. It didn't worry me. But, I was a member of the professional ranks, rather than a front line public servant and their cuts were much more severe. Personally, I think some cuts to the professional ranks would have been wiser than for front line workers.

We have had the most corrupt NSW government in living memory .

We have labour putting in a leader , while he was politically very effective, he obviously didn't have the management skills to run the country . So the Labour Party put him to win , and then when they think they might loose they kick him out .

That is our role . We voted for him . It is the right of people to kick him out .

So they put in a leader who lies her way back to office , then relies of a discredited labour flunky who lies through his teeth to keep them in power .

If the Labour Party had shown one hundredth the integrity that Barry O'farrell or Nick Griner has shown , they would have been out of government shortly after the preceding election .

But no . They will do anything they can to hang on to power .

It sad that people who support the Labour Party actually believe they have the moral high ground , and in many areas of policy I believe they are right. The reality is different .

The Labour Party have shown them selves to be only interested in doing one thing and that is to cling to power regardless of the price they pay. A bunch of hypocritical ......heads.

A bottle of wine . The residents of NSW are the people who will pay the price .

#BringBackBarry .
f
You never know See-Change,,Barry may well come back in time,at least he did not do 100mil deal under the table thinking it was ok,maybe Labor should bring back "Mark-Latham"as long as they can keep him away from the taxi rank and taxi drivers he may be on the list for Labor..

I think it was an overreaction. Smells like a set up - the day after he denies knowing XYZ the exact same document shows up. Come on....this would not hold up in Court.

I think it was an overreaction. Smells like a set up - the day after he denies knowing XYZ the exact same document shows up. Come on....this would not hold up in Court.

The more I think about I wonder about what right the ICAC had to have him there in the first place . The ICAC was quick to point out before he gave evidence that there was no suggestion he was corrupt .

I'd wonder how many politicians would stand up to the same standards ...

The way it has come out really does make it seem like he was set up .

Cliff

Posted in another thread

All NSW government employees (including the Premier and ministers) must disclose any gift over the value of $20.

Seeing that the bottle of wine was significantly above that amount, it should have been registered and that document detailing to whom the gift was issued to and by whom would be publicly available.

There have been documented cases of public servants losing their jobs for items less than $50 for not recording their gifts.

So BoF not only lied to ICAC (deliberate or not) but he clearly breached his own rules that he clearly stated to the electorate prior to being elected.

Further, not remembering such a substantial gift that warranted a thank you note and a follow up telephone call is incredulous - or was BoF receiving such items on such a regular basis (unrecorded on any public register) that he could be excused for forgetting?

I once thought BoF could be a great leader. Unfortunately this incident proves that NSW state government is really screwed up regardless of the party leading it.

Back