#BringBackBarry

I'm young-ish. Probably Gen y. I worked part time while doing my first degree. I worked full time while doing my second degree. I have junior staff now doing the same thing.

Simplistic generational generalisations don't acheive anything.

The increases to TAFE costs do have a significant impact on affordability, and increases the welfare trap. It's hardly sensationalist. The wage for an apprentice is very low compared to the cost of living. Add additional education expenses in and some people will be forced to drop out. If they don't have family support, they simply can't afford to keep studying.

I don't want to see a 2 tiered economic system where only those from wealthy families get any form of education past high school. It will simply create more social problems, and more expense in the long term.

I think you backed up what I was saying in your first sentence. You got off your butt and did something. I did say MANY not all of our current generation is lazy. Seems all the toys and gadgets/holidays are a higher priority than education.

9.0 Vic state......last election.......27 November 2010

Seats up for grabs......88

Coalition win..............45............vote swing up 3.6 %

Labor wins.................43............vote swing down 6.8 %

Result..........Labor get booted out of Govt, people elect Liberals to govern.

Curiously, Labor are firm favourites (at least with the bookies) to make the Libs a one-term government in Victoria. I don't really follow state politics outside of Qld unless it makes the news here, am I missing something?

Yes the poor little treasures!!!!!!! Us poor Older people actually had to go and get a part time job to get any further education and study as well!! No such transport systems like they have now, no computers or internet, you had to go to the library to see an encyclopaedia as most families couldn't afford a set... No sympathy here for many of our lazy younger generation.

Yep, and there won't be much sympathy for the oldies either. eg retirement age increasing, more stringent criteria for Disabilty Support, less increases in old age pension.

The old bones will be cracking and creaking for what might seem an eternity lol.

Last edited:
and concentrate on the numbers....

At the state / territory level, before the latest change in government, if it has occurred, the ALP held power in

WA for 7.5 years (your home state is the exception in this group)
NT for 11 years
Victoria for 11 years
QLD for almost 14
Tasmania for 15.5
NSW for almost 16

and where they are still in power

SA for 12 years
ACT for almost 12.5

And you wonder why they're on the nose?

Here's an idea for you - maybe they're on the nose because instead of just warming the opposition benches, they have spent the better part of the last 15-20 years or so in Government where, like every government does, they have made some mistakes and also decisions which are at times unpopular.

You may be right Mark, it could be just a cycle.....

If every action has an equal and opposite reaction, then it could be a while before they find themselves back in favour.

But they will find themselves back in favour...

but the Labor experts do not agree with your view.

And in the meantime they will (hopefully) sort out their internal issues.

I don't say that as a supporter of the Labor Party (nor as a supporter of the Lib/Nat coalition, either), I say that as someone who believes that strong political parties (not one party, or two-parties in a coalition) are essential to a robust democracy that makes better decisions for the citizens and residents of Australia.

And that, imho, is in all of our best interests.

Yes the poor little treasures!!!!!!! Us poor Older people actually had to go and get a part time job to get any further education and study as well!! No such transport systems like they have now, no computers or internet, you had to go to the library to see an encyclopaedia as most families couldn't afford a set... No sympathy here for many of our lazy younger generation.

Ah yes more lovely generalisations. Lucky no one is calling your generation lazy and hopeless for living through unparalleled booms and high growth periods for a lot of your working lives but still having 90% of your generation retiring on the government teat with your hand out for a good 20 or so years

Here we go with the inter generational generalisations again.

This has been done to death previously many times.

Perhaps we don't need to go through it all again.

Ah yes more lovely generalisations. Lucky no one is calling your generation lazy and hopeless for living through unparalleled booms and high growth periods for a lot of your working lives but still having 90% of your generation retiring on the government teat with your hand out for a good 20 or so years

But also remember 18% interest rates, very little and often no super contributions like there is now. No internet, no computers, No mobile phones. To invest in stock or property was not as easy as it is today. Bank Managers were hard and loans not that easy to get. Some huge stock market crashes in '73 through to '74, Black Monday in '87 certainly caused people to lose a lot of money and also created investment scepticism amongst many mum and dad investors.

The generation (and I repeat not all of them) I refer to is still at school growing up. i.e. under 22, and I constantly hear the moans and groans from about how things are so hard!!! They have no idea about how hard life can be. I was working at Coles after school at 15 trying to get by.

I pay more tax than the average person earns, Im out of the country away from family for 8-9 months a year, and what will I get from the government when I retire after 40yrs work ???? Zero, Zip Zilch!!!

And why is that???? Because I got off my butt and did something to better my life, not whinging about how hard it is without a new iPhone or a holiday to Europe. And now the Government wants to tax me even more!!!

Back to my original point, if education costs rise then help yourself, get part time work, cheap loans are even available now to help, don't just sit back and complain about it.

Rant over lol

At the state / territory level, before the latest change in government, if it has occurred, the ALP held power in

WA for 7.5 years (your home state is the exception in this group)
NT for 11 years
Victoria for 11 years
QLD for almost 14
Tasmania for 15.5
NSW for almost 16

and where they are still in power

SA for 12 years
ACT for almost 12.5

Agreed, when graphed, it does appear to act in waves.

I've got a nice graphic going back to 1950 for all Govt's.....but it's a bit too wide for useful display.

See below for the 90s and now. Hope you find it interesting. There are some quite fascinating patterns when you take a long term view.

Attachments

• Federal and State Alignments 00s.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Federal and State Alignments 90s.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 54
Agreed, when graphed, it does appear to act in waves.

I've got a nice graphic going back to 1950 for all Govt's.....but it's a bit too wide for useful display.

See below for the 90s and now. Hope you find it interesting. There are some quite fascinating patterns when you take a long term view.

Dazz , Can you plot it against Property price increases ...

Cliff

Back