#BringBackBarry

I'd wonder how many politicians would stand up to the same standards ...

The way it has come out really does make it seem like he was set up .

Cliff
Yes, it looks like he was brought down by someone from his own side of politics.
First not declaring the gift and then emphatically denying that it was ever received when there was evidence to the contrary makes it look like he technically accepted a bribe.
Probably brought down by those from the NSW Liberal party machine who benefit from all these dodgy deals involving business, lobbyists and party members from both sides.

Libs suck. They only want to make it harder for the working class eg cut wages and conditions. They make things more expensive eg education and health.

Heck, there'd be child labour (not labor lol) like in Asia if it weren't for laws to stop it.

Labor makes it more easy of us Ozzies. I bet there are a lot of Lib supporters out there who gained a free education out of the ALP. Come on, own up!

So, on that note please kindly join:

https://www.nswalp.com/new-membership/

Libs suck. They only want to make it harder for the working class eg cut wages and conditions. They make things more expensive eg education and health.

Heck, there'd be child labour (not labor lol) like in Asia if it weren't for laws to stop it.

Labor makes it more easy of us Ozzies. I bet there are a lot of Lib supporters out there who gained a free education out of the ALP. Come on, own up!

So, on that note please kindly join:

https://www.nswalp.com/new-membership/

Ahhh . A true labor supporter .:cool:

Man the barricades . Mothers , those evil capitalists will steal your children and sell them for slave labour if you give them half a chance :rolleyes:

Cliff

Libs suck. They only want to make it harder for the working class eg cut wages and conditions.

You mean like how real wages fell in the 1980's under the Accord that was a deal between Hawke / Keating and their old union comrades?

I bet there are a lot of Lib supporters out there who gained a free education out of the ALP.

Only to have it taken away again, also by Bob Hawke and Paul Keating in 1989, when HECS was introduced.

The more I think about I wonder about what right the ICAC had to have him there in the first place .
Really?
Even though it is sad to see him go, I think ICAC did a great job. I can't imagine this sort of thing happening in any other country! We have a brilliant country!

Really?
Even though it is sad to see him go, I think ICAC did a great job. I can't imagine this sort of thing happening in any other country! We have a brilliant country!

I agree they did a great job. As a Qlder I had no idea who he was until he got caught out. I actually thought he was an ALP hack (which shows my degree of parochialism I suppose). I have no problems in swift punishment for those who lie to courts or commissions of inquiry.

It is no surprise that the Newman government has gone to work on reducing the powers and the overall efficacy of the Crime and Misconduct Commission (ICAC equivalent).

Small minded and arrogant people who are undeserving of the trust placed with them by the Qld populace.

As for goodbye to all the bile and hate- such is warranted for those who would personally profit from their position of serving the public.

He was stupid. In Qld the corrupt police officers on cross examination state "I don't recall". Can't get slotted for that answer.

Really?

It appears, sadly but predictably, that ICAC is great. But only when investigating the other side.

Remember the issue isn't the wine. It is lieing. He was caught out. He resigned. As he should have done.

If he was honest, rather than outright denial, then it would have been forgotten about in a week.

It appears, sadly but predictably, that ICAC is great. But only when investigating the other side.

Remember the issue isn't the wine. It is lieing. He was caught out. He resigned. As he should have done.

If he was honest, rather than outright denial, then it would have been forgotten about in a week.

He did the right thing in resigning , I don't dispute that . The reality is that he didn't remember so he did the honest think by denying it ( stupid maybe ..:rolleyes::rolleyes:) . If he'd done the politically correct thing he would have given an answer that would have given him wiggle room , but it's a measure of his honesty and sincerity that he gave what he thought was the correct answer .

Or has that point been missed by people .... :confused::confused:

Cliff

He did the right thing in resigning , I don't dispute that . The reality is that he didn't remember so he did the honest think by denying it ( stupid maybe ..:rolleyes::rolleyes:) . If he'd done the politically correct thing he would have given an answer that would have given him wiggle room , but it's a measure of his honesty and sincerity that he gave what he thought was the correct answer .

Cliff

Ask yourself this. If it had been an ALP politician in the same situation would you have the same view?

There are a number of possible reasons as to why he didn't admit to receiving it. Unfortunately signed notes are kind of an issue.

I'm not happy he left in this way. But I'm not going to clutch at straws to turn him into a martyr either.

Cliff

First, I wanna say that prior to this incident, I found that the former premier was not bad at all in managing state affairs...He was an ok premier.

I saw him as a moderate liberal.

Then the recent incident showed the color of a politician.

I know no one is perfect. From time to time, we forgot insignificant of events in our life.

So if you think receiving gifts in public service without transparency is insignificant, then the former premier has resigned unnecessarily.

I would like to remind readers as well, that plenty of reporting of non-transparency in receiving gifts by the Feds MP in recent times.

Not many of the Sitting MP in Canberra would care to tighten up the rules and protocols when receiving gifts or using tax payer money for a holiday or attending wedding.

It is very difficult to get the insider to make a significant change when their tail could be on fire.

So I hope the ICAC recommendation would force the politician to change the rules and protocols in these regards.

T

Personally, I find the most concerning thing by far in all of this is that the Obeid family and their associates have once again clearly demonstrated to everyone that they have the power to take down a Premier if they so wish. Even from right in the middle of an ICAC enquiry in this case. To me this all looks like a trap specifically designed to illustrate this very point. That handwritten note got presented to ICAC at a very opportune moment - why was it ever kept in the first place if not for this type of purpose?

How many NSW Premiers has it been now? If this is what they can still do to Premiers, what else are they still capable of?

This fact can't have escaped the politicians who are left. Where does it end? I very much doubt it has ended yet anyway.

The Obeids et al are still at large and are yet to be charged with anything. BOF is the only person to have taken a fall so far.

I just hope that ICAC really can get to the bottom of all this. I'm not particularly hopeful though when I can so clearly see the power of these people. It clearly takes only the smallest of indiscretions to create a feeling of obligation and this web looks like stretching all over Sydney right now. I can only hope I'm reading too much into this but I doubt it. It looks to me that the people of NSW are being played like a fiddle right now. Shades of WA Inc from where I'm sitting!

The more I think about I wonder about what right the ICAC had to have him there in the first place . Cliff

He was there because a line was picked up in the AWH Amex account transaction records for a "Gift to Barry O'Farrell and Wife" of nearly $3,000, so they had little choice other than to ask him about it, seeing that he didn't declare it on his pecuniary interests register.

Hopefully, all this will bring some form of legal charges against those responsible for the manipulations and corruption exposed by ICAC.

Other countries sentence those guilty of public corruption and bribery to 20 years or more, I would like to see that for certain people convicted of multiple offences :)

Whilst I agree with you opinion on slick Nick and corrupt labor....

I think you are taking some of your own prescription medication if you think that Bazza was not involved. The libs are just as corrupt......they have feathered the nest of some.....

What I would like to see is more politicians with integrity. The far right of the lib party are horrible also.

I can't see a lot more improvements since the libs took over just very under handed way to stage manage to make it look things look good. The hospital system and education system is not much better.

Sad thing is that NSW has lost a second very good premier . Nick Griener was the best premier NSW has had . Undone by a discredited idiot Terry Metherill .

I've been a swinging voter all my life . The best government is a combination or liberal business sense and labour social values . We can't get those at the same time , so we swing from one to the other .

But the last six year have turned me into a perpetual liberal voter . Why ? Because labour have NO SENSE OF ETHICS .

They get up one their soap box and bleat on about a social conscious and doing things for the little people but what is the reality .

We have had the most corrupt NSW government in living memory .

We have labour putting in a leader , while he was politically very effective, he obviously didn't have the management skills to run the country . So the Labour Party put him to win , and then when they think they might loose they kick him out .

That is our role . We voted for him . It is the right of people to kick him out .

So they put in a leader who lies her way back to office , then relies of a discredited labour flunky who lies through his teeth to keep them in power .

If the Labour Party had shown one hundredth the integrity that Barry O'farrell or Nick Griner has shown , they would have been out of government shortly after the preceding election .

But no . They will do anything they can to hang on to power .

It sad that people who support the Labour Party actually believe they have the moral high ground , and in many areas of policy I believe they are right. The reality is different .

The Labour Party have shown them selves to be only interested in doing one thing and that is to cling to power regardless of the price they pay. A bunch of hypocritical ......heads.

A bottle of wine . The residents of NSW are the people who will pay the price .

#BringBackBarry .

.... End dummy spit .....

Cliff

Back